Did you stay overnight in Civitivecchia pre-cruise? What did you do?

cpl100

We are spending a few days in Sorrento and then taking the train to Civitivecchia the day before embarkation. I believe the train arrives around noon. It will be in early September.

Interested in hearing what people did during their time in this port city (and did you enjoy what you did or wish you had chosen differently?).

Are there any pitfalls that we should know? Any must-sees? Must eats?

Thanks so much for all information! And have a great day!

We are also having time in Civitavecchia before our cruise in 4 weeks time and I’ve done a bit of research. There is a fort and a cathedral in Civitavecchia. This is the local tourism website https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/civitavecchia/.

This website also has some interesting information https://www.aswesawit.com/civitavecchia-attractions/.

The other thing we are thinking about doing is getting the local bus to Tarquinia, which looks to be a very pretty town and it has some Etruscan Tombs. This website is useful https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/10-things-see-tarquinia

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would recommend Tarquinia and the Etruscan tombs. We visited last year when the EPIC stopped for the day.

The OP is not arriving until noon so I would recommend checking the bus/train times. Both options are available but we went by train because I was not sure where to buy bus tickets from - and we were there on a Bank Holiday so travel options were somewhat limited.

An alternative (September should be nice weather) would be to go to the beach - but Sorrento may well have ticked that box for the OP)

We are spending a few days in Sorrento and then taking the train to Civitivecchia the day before embarkation. I believe the train arrives around noon. It will be in early September.

Interested in hearing what people did during their time in this port city (and did you enjoy what you did or wish you had chosen differently?).

Are there any pitfalls that we should know? Any must-sees? Must eats?

Thanks so much for all information! And have a great day!

Have stayed in Civitavecchia several times prior to a cruise. It’s a really pleasant place fora single night. A nice promenade to wander for a couple of miles alongside the Mediterranean, historic cathedral, Roman castle, local shops and an interesting market. There are numerous cafes and bars and plenty of choice come restaurants. Suggest Trip Advisor for getting more information. We have eaten at the Ristorante Pizzeria da Baffone and Taverna del Porto and had two lovely meals. We normally stay at Hotel Tragetto which is a minute’s walk from the bus pick up point for the cruise ships.

It’s a busy commercial port city, very ‘non touristy’ but that is it's charm. Locals are friendly and we have always enjoyed our stay.

We flew in from Sicily to Rome in the afternoon. Took the train to Civitavecchia. We had been there before.

We found a laudromat and got our laundry done. While our dirty clothes were going round we evacuated to a sidewalk cafe opposite. We walked around town. Very pleasant. Then dinner.

In the AM we visited the market. Then shopped for some wine. Made our way to the ship around noon.

We flew in from Sicily to Rome in the afternoon. Took the train to Civitavecchia. We had been there before.

We found a laudromat and got our laundry done. While our dirty clothes were going round we evacuated to a sidewalk cafe opposite. We walked around town. Very pleasant. Then dinner.

In the AM we visited the market. Then shopped for some wine. Made our way to the ship around noon.

If I may ask....do you remember where the laundromat is? We would love to do laundry in between our cruises and have googled it on maps/earth abf cannot locate one. TIA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

If I may ask....do you remember where the laundromat is? We would love to do laundry in between our cruises and have googled it on maps/earth abf cannot locate one. TIA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forums mobile app

I am in the same boat in November. Just found this on TA -

A lifesaver if you are about to cruise or returning from one. The laundromat is called Wash & Dry and located in Via Zara. Cost is 5 euros for a wash and 5 euros for a dry. Soap is €1.50 from a dispenser. The place is clean and the wash worked well.

There is a cafe nearby called Yogorino which provides reasonable snacks and also a small supermarket.

Directions: from Viale Giuseppe Garibaldi (the main street on the promenade) look out for a church and a war memorial statue. There is a passageway leading to Yogorino Cafe and via Zara. Turn right at Yogorino cafe and the laundromat is on your right. Check Via Zara on google maps where the "Wash and Dry" is marked.

So, what to do in Civitavecchia? Must admit that not all travelers like to spend their travel time at laundramats :). If you are in Civitavecchia early enough you might want to consider taking a bus or renting a car to go over to Tarquinia and take a look at some of the Etruscan ruins/tombs. Other wise, Civitavecchia has a nice walkway along the sea where you can see a sculpture of the "Kissing Sailor." And there are a few OK cafes and restaurants in town where you can certainly dine. On the other hand, if you are a McDonalds fan you even have this in town. And by the way, if you were to rent a car for the day you do have plenty of other options. For example you could drive all the way to Orvieto. And there are other small town places in the region that are worthy of a stop. And one could certainly drive back towards FCO and visit the extensive ruins at Ostia Antica.

We understand the reluctance of many travelers to drive in Italy, however when you stay away from the larger cities it is not difficult.

Hank

The one we used was near a square. Between the main street/intersection and the public market area. About three blocks up.

There was a Subway restaurant on one corner as I recall. And and a bar/restaurant on another corner. Cannot remember what we paid so it must have been reasonable. This was an unstaffed do it yourself laundramat. There are others that are staffed. You drop off your laundry and they will watch it for you and empty your clothes from the machine if you are not there.

I have no doubt that there is more than one laundromat in Civ. Your hotel or B&B may or may not be able to direct you. In Palarmo our host did not know of any laundromat near by. We found one, via the web, less than 500meters away.

I am in the same boat in November. Just found this on TA -

A lifesaver if you are about to cruise or returning from one. The laundromat is called Wash & Dry and located in Via Zara. Cost is 5 euros for a wash and 5 euros for a dry. Soap is €1.50 from a dispenser. The place is clean and the wash worked well.

There is a cafe nearby called Yogorino which provides reasonable snacks and also a small supermarket.

Directions: from Viale Giuseppe Garibaldi (the main street on the promenade) look out for a church and a war memorial statue. There is a passageway leading to Yogorino Cafe and via Zara. Turn right at Yogorino cafe and the laundromat is on your right. Check Via Zara on google maps where the "Wash and Dry" is marked.

Thank you so very much, jean87510, exactly the info we were looking for. We have screen shotted it and will bring with us. :D

The one we used was near a square. Between the main street/intersection and the public market area. About three blocks up.

There was a Subway restaurant on one corner as I recall. And and a bar/restaurant on another corner. Cannot remember what we paid so it must have been reasonable. This was an unstaffed do it yourself laundramat. There are others that are staffed. You drop off your laundry and they will watch it for you and empty your clothes from the machine if you are not there.

I have no doubt that there is more than one laundromat in Civ. Your hotel or B&B may or may not be able to direct you. In Palarmo our host did not know of any laundromat near by. We found one, via the web, less than 500meters away.

Thank you, iancal for the info. I have taken note of all info and will look for the laundry. I do prefer do our laundry ourselves. I think you are also recommending the same laundry that another poster above also recommended. We will definitely look for it. :)

So, what to do in Civitavecchia? Must admit that not all travelers like to spend their travel time at laundramats :). If you are in Civitavecchia early enough you might want to consider taking a bus or renting a car to go over to Tarquinia and take a look at some of the Etruscan ruins/tombs. Other wise, Civitavecchia has a nice walkway along the sea where you can see a sculpture of the "Kissing Sailor." And there are a few OK cafes and restaurants in town where you can certainly dine. On the other hand, if you are a McDonalds fan you even have this in town. And by the way, if you were to rent a car for the day you do have plenty of other options. For example you could drive all the way to Orvieto. And there are other small town places in the region that are worthy of a stop. And one could certainly drive back towards FCO and visit the extensive ruins at Ostia Antica.

We understand the reluctance of many travelers to drive in Italy, however when you stay away from the larger cities it is not difficult.

Hank

Thank you. We will actually be in Civitavecchia at least 2 days and will look forward to doing some laundry between cruises. Much more fun doing laundry on vaca than at home, so we don't mind at all. Still plenty of time for sight seeing. :D

I would recommend Tarquinia and the Etruscan tombs. We visited last year when the EPIC stopped for the day.

The OP is not arriving until noon so I would recommend checking the bus/train times. Both options are available but we went by train because I was not sure where to buy bus tickets from - and we were there on a Bank Holiday so travel options were somewhat limited.

An alternative (September should be nice weather) would be to go to the beach - but Sorrento may well have ticked that box for the OP)

Thank you for your response. We have been to Tarquinia and the tombs on a prior cruise but the beach does entice me. Have you been to any there? (Has anyone?) What was your experience and what are your tips? Thanks again.

We are also having time in Civitavecchia before our cruise in 4 weeks time and I’ve done a bit of research. There is a fort and a cathedral in Civitavecchia. This is the local tourism website https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/civitavecchia/.

This website also has some interesting information https://www.aswesawit.com/civitavecchia-attractions/.

The other thing we are thinking about doing is getting the local bus to Tarquinia, which looks to be a very pretty town and it has some Etruscan Tombs. This website is useful https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/10-things-see-tarquinia

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for those links. I will read the information you provided. I appreciate your time. Have a great day!

Have stayed in Civitavecchia several times prior to a cruise. It’s a really pleasant place fora single night. A nice promenade to wander for a couple of miles alongside the Mediterranean, historic cathedral, Roman castle, local shops and an interesting market. There are numerous cafes and bars and plenty of choice come restaurants. Suggest Trip Advisor for getting more information. We have eaten at the Ristorante Pizzeria da Baffone and Taverna del Porto and had two lovely meals. We normally stay at Hotel Tragetto which is a minute’s walk from the bus pick up point for the cruise ships.

It’s a busy commercial port city, very ‘non touristy’ but that is it's charm. Locals are friendly and we have always enjoyed our stay.

Thank you for that information about sites and the restaurant recommendations. A walk on a promenade for a couple miles complete with cafes and shops sound pretty good! We are staying at the Hotel Traiano (mostly because it has a washing machine and is close to the train station).

I appreciate your time. Have a great day!

Thank you for your response. We have been to Tarquinia and the tombs on a prior cruise but the beach does entice me. Have you been to any there? (Has anyone?) What was your experience and what are your tips? Thanks again.

On one trip in mid July, DH swam on the beach that runs between the train station and Civi port. It was a bit rocky - I didn't have shoes that would allow me to clamber over the rocks and get into the water. I preferred to eat ice-cream. I think that a short train ride (in the direction of Rome) there must be some easier beaches - I have seen people get off with umbrellas and beach bags. If it is a nice day I am sure that this would be a lovely way to pass the time.

Hank

Have never rented a car in Europe, but doing the trip to Orvieto sounds promising. What is entailed in getting a rental overseas? How far is the drive? Of course I know the signage would be in Italian (and we speak none), but are there any symbols that we could try to figure out to help us along?

Thanks and have a great day!

Have never rented a car in Europe, but doing the trip to Orvieto sounds promising. What is entailed in getting a rental overseas? How far is the drive? Of course I know the signage would be in Italian (and we speak none), but are there any symbols that we could try to figure out to help us along?

Thanks and have a great day!

The good news is that they do drive on the right in Italy :). The bad news for many Americans and Canadians is that a majority of the lower cost rental cars are standard shift (stick shift). So if you cannot drive a stick you will likely pay a big premium for an automatic. Italy makes use of speed cameras on their high speed highways (autostrade) so watch your speed. The parking rules are a bit different but would not be an issue if simply driving to Orvieto or other relatively rural areas. Do not even think about driving in Rome until you have a lot of experience driving in Italy.

There are a few rental car agencies located in town and you can Google their locations vis a vis your hotel. All the majors, Hertz, Europcar, Budget, etc. have offices. Keep in mind that many credit cards that include collision damage waiver as a benefit do EXCLUDE Italy...so check with your credit card company prior to your trip about this issue. Like in the USA, paying for CDW when you rent a car is pricey.

As to Orvieto, there is plenty of parking near the tourist office as get close to the town. Once parked you can walk anywhere..assuming you have no walking issues. And it goes without saying that one should not drink and drive in Italy! We tend to limit ourself to a single glass or wine or perhaps a beer if driving. Italian drivers are very good, but they are a bit crazy....especially the motorcycles. When driving in Europe we tend to watch our rear and sideview mirrors for approaching motorcycles as they tend to ignore all traffic rules.

Hank

Don't be concerned about driving in Italy if you do not speak Italian. You will understand the road signs. We have driven in many countries in Europe and never had a problem even thought we do not speak their respective languages.

Absolutely agree with the OP. We avoid cities-Rome, Florence. We pick up a rental as we are leaving town. And watch out for parts of some towns that do not allow you to enter with your car unless you have a special permit. These too are marked. Most have cameras. Even though the cameras are sometimes inoperative you risk the surprise of a nasty shock on your credit card once the ticket hits the car rental agency. Lots of speed cameras around Tuscany. IF you are following someone and the suddenly brake for no reason it is probably a local who knows the speed camera up ahead is functioning!

I inadvertently drove through the no go part of Assisi. Waited months for a ticket to arrive but fortunately it did not. Cameras must not have been working.

Just returned from a great Med cruise.

We stayed at Hotel Triano overnight at a very reasonable price and were able to walk to dining. The next morning we did a cooking class in Civitavecchia @ Aqua. We truly enjoyed our time pre-cruise! We walked the next seven days in seven ports to see landmarks. So the cooking class was a nice choice.

Good Luc:ok and do whats right for you.

Hank

Hank, The Kissing Sailor was not there last fall. It was there the previous year, however.