San Diego: cell phone waiting lot?

jdg623

Hi,

We are meeting up with family for a SoCal vacation. We have to pick up my son and daughter-in-law from a Disney cruise at the San Diego port. Never been to the port before - is there a cell phone waiting lot nearby? Where do we go to pick them up in our rental car?

TIA

There's a couple of for fee lots directly across the street from the terminal. It would be easy for them to walk across the street and meet you in the lot. I would avoid trying to drive onto the pier to pick them up. The pickup loop isn't very user friendly. Get there early and look around for a place either on the street or in a lot close by and have them walk to you or if they need help with luggage walk over and help them back across the street.

The paid lots across Harbor Drive from the main cruise ship terminal are no longer available. They are building a luxury hotel on that land. Try to find a meter spot on the Embarcadero just north of the pier (where you see the demolition of the old Anthony's Seafood restaurant just south of the Star of India sailing ship museum). You could pay to park in the lot for the USS Midway, but that will be about $10, so better to try to get one of the metered spaces above.

We are actually planning to visit the Midway that morning as soon as it opens at 10 - would it be easier to just park there? Could we walk with their luggage from the pier to the Midway lot?

The Midway is very close to the cruise terminal. There is metered parking all nearby, but most have a 2 hour maximum--always enforced. There is parking right across the street from the cruise terminal... not sure the hourly rate but it won't break the bank.

There are parking spaces within the cruise terminal for cars picking up passengers... you can't leave your car there but you can wait in it. It's a very easy cruise terminal....

We are actually planning to visit the Midway that morning as soon as it opens at 10 - would it be easier to just park there? Could we walk with their luggage from the pier to the Midway lot?

You could walk, it's not far at all. You will love USS Midway and will not want to leave to pick them up. You can spend much longer than the time you have allotted on USS Midway. I would consider getting your hand stamped, store their luggage in your car, and taking them back over to her.

Thanks again, everyone, you've been very helpful. Sounds like we have a few good options. We do plan on spending a good part of the day on the Midway - the last time I was there, about 10 years ago, we arrived in the afternoon and it closed before we got halfway through the ship. I remember being so disappointed that we didn't have more time and vowed to return and do it right! I'm hoping my kids coming off the cruise will be as enthusiastic about it as I am!