Does Princess circle Kauai HI, to View the Napali Coast?

Bruce-n-Patty

We'll be on Star Princess out of L.A. on 3/4/18 to Hawaii with stops at: Hilo, Honolulu, Lihue Kauai, Lahaina Maui, (in that order). Does anyone know if the ship circles Kauai so that the majestic Napali coast can be viewed on that island's northwest side (either prior to entering the Lihue port or after leaving the port)?

Never known them to do it unless something has changed very recently.

It'd be a long detour going the wrong direction to get to Maui, I doubt there'd be time even if Princess was willing to use the extra fuel. Nawiliwili is on the south east corner of Kauai.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jollyjones

I have done the Hawaii cruise 3 times and the only time I can remember the captain hugging the coastline of any island was on a New Years Eve late night when we spent about an hour (maybe less) along the coast of Oahu to view various firework displays.

EDITED TO ADD: I see you are sailing in March... the seas and surf on the North of Kauai could be rough!!!! Not sure about a tour on the water along the Napali Coast. A helicopter tour would be absolutely stunning!!!

I will leave my original comments below, just as general info.

have done a catamaran cruise to see the Napali Coast (Captain Andy's - from the Southwest of Kauai)

If I had never been to Kauai, this would def. be one of the very first excursions I would consider! Choose one that leaves from the North of Kauai, and see the gorgeous (Jurassic Park) scenery, Hanalai Bay, Princeville...

It is AMAZING!

Lots of info on these excursions on the Kauai tourist sites, and the Kauai board on trip advisor!

Easy to book on your own, if you wish.

We cruised the Na Pali Coast on the Golden Princess back in 2011. Unfortunately that was because we couldn't dock at Nawilliwilli harbor due to high winds, and the Captain did a circle cruise of Kauai as a consolation prize:

5635351555_3eceb594c8_z.jpg

We cruised the Na Pali Coast on the Golden Princess back in 2011. Unfortunately that was because we couldn't dock at Nawilliwilli harbor due to high winds, and the Captain did a circle cruise of Kauai as a consolation prize:

5635351555_3eceb594c8_z.jpg

That was what we hoped for in 2005 when winds prevented entering the narrow channel to dock at Nawiliwili.

The captain didn’t give us your consolation prize which we hoped to experience. Instead he repeatedly sailed the ship back & forth slowly along the south Kauai coastline which was much less beautiful than the Na Pali coast.

On several other Princess Hawaii cruises the ship never sailed along the Na Pali coast.

The captain didn’t give us your consolation prize which we hoped to experience. Instead he repeatedly sailed the ship back & forth slowly along the south Kauai coastline which was much less beautiful than the Na Pali coast.

That's too bad. Even though I was disappointed in not docking in Kauai, I really enjoyed the sail around the island.