Two questions

DJSchib

Hi everyone

We are 39 days out from our first cruise and not sure if this is the forum to ask but with so many of you seasoned cruisers I felt you would have the answers

1. Do any of you go to a tanning salon before your cruise to get your base tan? Month prior if you do?

2. When packing, how many pieces of luggage do you try to limit yourself to for a 7 day cruise? If my husband and I both have our carry-on luggage and then one large checked piece of luggage for both of us seem to be the norm ? Once on the ship, I take it we tote around our carry on until room ready and the checked larger piece shows up in our room? Never cruised and trying to figure out how to pack two formal dresses and his suit along with all the other clothes we will need for our extra week vacation post cruise

One more question and it may seem like an odd one but are there any kind of storage units at the pier where you can store things you don't necessarily need onboard but would like and need post cruise ?

Thanks much

Debbie

We have been driving to port lately. We have one large duffle for each of us plus one rolling garment bag. Our carry on just holds our meds, jewelry, paperwork. If we flew, I would probably continue with the same number of bags and pay the fees.

I don't do tanning beds/salons.

I try to get a bit of colour before my February cruises. I burn easily and I find that with a pre-tan, I can use 30/45 SPF and tan in the shade.

As for bags, we try one garment bag, one large suitcase and one carry-on. We keep trying to pack lighter each trip, not that it works! Lol

As far as having to drag your carryon once on board ship, you can usually get into your stateroom and leave them there while you hit the buffet and explore the ship. For luggage we have done 3 wks with 1 carryon and 1 checked suitcase each.

As far as having to drag your carryon once on board ship, you can usually get into your stateroom and leave them there while you hit the buffet and explore the ship. For luggage we have done 3 wks with 1 carryon and 1 checked suitcase each.

Depends on what time you get on the ship. If it's early, the cabins are not usually ready until around 1:30 so it is possible one may have to drag around a carry on for awhile.

I've tanned, starting 1 month prior.....that's usually enough to get some color. 2-3 times weekly seems to work for me. I start with 4 mins and increase 2 mins or so....depends on the bed and light strength. It's NOT good for you!

You can bring as much as you want, if you're not flying. There is no right or wrong packing style.

Happy first cruise!!! You will love cruising. I was hooked right after my first one and have been cruising every year since then.

I do visit the tanning salon before my trip. Like fellow poster ZAL mentioned I also like to get a little color before I sail. It obviously is not the best idea for everyone but I do this as a standard before every cruise. I also visit my dermatologist religiously for my annual screening.

As for packing......

DBF is easy as men are more relaxed with clothing on vacation. I uually take two 21" suitcases for me alone. I dont take any bigger as I would senslessly fill the luggage thus I force myself to bring what I need. I hate to admit it but I prepare a clothing spreadsheet listing my clothing schedule by day. Of course the list is interchangeable but it helps me pack based on my plan and prevents me from grossly overpacking...

Handbags: I bring two small clutches for the evening as you do not need to carry much at night except maybe a camera and a sign and sail card. I also bring a tote for the beach/pool deck.

Shoes: I do go a little overboard here. It varies by the outfit. If I stick to one color scheme it helps minimize the number of shoes.

Plane: I carry a handbag and overnighter on the plane. The overnighter carries one change of clothes a bathing suit, and flip flops in the event my suitcase is delivered late. I also carry with me my evening bags (cant trust my Louis and Judith Lieber clutches in the suitcase) and jewelry.

I do go a little overboard but I was much worse on my earlier cruises. The older I got the less I wanted to carry. I would love to limit myself to one suitcase but I cant seem to do it. I envy those that do but for me and my passion for clothes it does not work.

I dont know of any pier storage but try searching for hotels near the pier that might have a service like this available.

Happy Travels.

Sorry, I don't know anything about pre-tanning. I stay out of the sun when I can, use SPF 40+ and wear a hat.

As for luggage, depending upon your ship, your cabin may be ready when you board, so just drop your bags and head for the buffet.

We usually do one checked bag and one carry-on each and still have room left in our bags. We did 2+ weeks in Europe that way, since you are heading south, you should have lots of room in your suitcases for 2 weeks. You may have to do a bit of laundry. I often wear the same outfit for both formal nights, no need to take 2 outfits.

Have a great cruise and vacation.

I've never been to a tanning salon, so my answer would be no to the first question. I use a lotion like Jergens that gives a bit of color, usually just my legs, for a couple weeks prior to leaving. Strong SPF while on the cruise, just not interested in getting a tan.

We each pack a medium sized suitcase, I have found that a large suitcase can easily go over the 50 lb. weight. Add the fact we cross pack a couple outfits in each others case, in the remote occurrence one bag could go missing. Yes, each bag (can be $25), but an overweight bag, first you pay $25, then add another $35 for the extra weight, so it would cost a bit more. I take a small roll aboard and a tote, my husband has a small boarding bag. We keep all valuables and meds with us. Edit…many people say fly Southwest, tried it once and never again. Nowhere we fly do they have direct flights, just not worth it to save that $25 fee, plus the fares are comparable to other airlines. Our next flight is with JetBlue, non-stop and (yay) no luggage fee for the first piece.

Our last few cruises have been Princess, so the cabin is always ready when boarding begins. We do tend to board later to avoid the crush, so normally don't get onboard until 1:30 - 2:00 anyway.

I've never looked for storage in the terminals, never noticed any. One time, we took a small table fan with us that was confiscated for the week. We retrieved it after disembarking, so they have some sort of storage. Our little fan was amongst bottles of booze, about 25-30 clothing irons and toys that looked like weapons.

Perhaps try calling the hotel you will be staying post cruise (if any) and find out if they can store luggage for you.

Edited by Happy ks

Depends on what time you get on the ship. If it's early, the cabins are not usually ready until around 1:30 so it is possible one may have to drag around a carry on for awhile.

That depends on who you're cruising with. HAL has cabins available when you board based on everything I've read (I cruise with them in June and I am looking forward to that).

That depends on who you're cruising with. HAL has cabins available when you board based on everything I've read (I cruise with them in June and I am looking forward to that).

Well yes, and Princess cabins are also ready when you board but it looks like the OP is cruising on Celebrity.

Edited by iheartbda

I do visit a tanning salon before I go. I have severe skin allergies and sun screen is one of my biggest issues. I knew that I was allergic to fragrance, so I tried using lotions that are on my approved list (from the dermatologist) that had sun screen in them - they didn't help. Still ended up with rash and then turned into eczema. my doctor confirmed that I was one of the rare cases allergic to sun screen. So, I do visit tanning salon just to get a little bit of a base so that I don't burn. I don't spend a lot of time in sun, but sometimes, you just can't help it (on excursions and such) and I would hate to have sunburn while on vacation.

DH and I usually each pack a carry on and we share 1 large suitcase. We could pack everything in our carry ons, but I have never been able to get dh's suit and shoes in his carry on. So, that is why we have to take the 1 large suitcase - we just pack most of our stuff in it and then take 2 small carry ons. Plus, I have special products that I need to use (because of my skin allergies) and, of course, they have to get checked - I can't carry them on in the plane.

Hi,:) as you can see, there is not 1 specific answer to your questions.

First question for me, no I don't go toa tanning salon. I don't sit out in

the sun while on the cruise either. If I am at the pool? I am in the

shaded areas.

2nd question.....I sail solo and always pack the same way....1 carry

on bag and 1 checked bag.

Hope you have a great cruise:D

Edited by Lois R

I only go to a tanning salon for a spray tan. But another choice is Jergens Natural Glow. I have tried the new foam version & it works well with no odor!

I carry our formal/easily creased clothing in a garment bag.

Thanks for all your great replies

I only wanted to go to tanner to get that base coat in hopes of not burning on ship.

I think we will each take a carry on (20") and then one large suitcase since we are flying in. When using a garment bag, that is considered another checked piece of luggage when flying and not a carry on?

Thanks again

Google getting a use tan to protect from sunburn. You may be surprised at the answers. Bottom line is…it's a myth and can cause more skin damage than the sun.

https://www.google.com/#q=will+a+base+tan+from+a+tanning+bed+help+prevent+sunburn%3F

I don't like posting this, because people will do and believe as they want to. It's just a warning for some who want to protect themselves from skin damage.

I grew up in an era where (although I didn't bask in the sun) people would smear their skin with baby oil to tan faster. tans were popular and thought to be "healthy". Even someone like me, who has mostly avoided getting a tan, has some skin damage now. Most of it is my hands and chest, I wish I could go back in time and wear daily sunscreen for protection, it was just not available then.

We take one 24" suitcase each for cruises up to 14 days. For more than 14 days we add a small back pack. I carry meds, electronics and other valuables in my purse.

We never tan ahead of time. My DH has skin cancer so avoids the sun and I tan easily but try to stay out of the sun whenever possible.

I only go to a tanning salon for a spray tan. But another choice is Jergens Natural Glow. I have tried the new foam version & it works well with no odor!

This has always worked for me!

1. Do any of you go to a tanning salon before your cruise to get your base tan? Month prior if you do?

I would love to have a tan before going on a summer vacation, but I don't really tan easily, and tanning beds aren't good for you. I'm not good with self-tanners, so sometimes, I may try to sit out in the sun to get a little color, but mostly, I just embrace my pastiness!

2. When packing, how many pieces of luggage do you try to limit yourself to for a 7 day cruise? If my husband and I both have our carry-on luggage and then one large checked piece of luggage for both of us seem to be the norm ? Once on the ship, I take it we tote around our carry on until room ready and the checked larger piece shows up in our room? Never cruised and trying to figure out how to pack two formal dresses and his suit along with all the other clothes we will need for our extra week vacation post cruise

This is tough. I try to pack only one carry-on and one checked bag. My suitcase to check is huge, and usually if I have it full, it exceeds the weight limit :( This is my plan for my cruise in March tho.

Enjoy your cruise!

JanineM - does the foam rub off? I've noticed with some self-tanners, they rub off a little (on my clothes!) if I perspire. Thank you!