Turkey canceled for rest of Vista Europe cruises

LaCal

From our Brand Ambassador John Heald: I am sorry to read of your diappointment but yes, Kushadasi is canceled and of course with the current climate and state of emergency in Turkey it is absolutely the right thing to do. There are no other ports available I am afraid ..... so yes, VAT will apply so there will be a 10% increase on the price. I will discuss this further with some of the beards and if there should be a last minute change I will of course let you know.

NOTE from me: A formal Carnival notice will be issued shortly!

But absolutely the right decision to make. Too much turmoil going on and not worth the risk. Likely the Insurance companies and Re-Insurers have cancelled coverage to Turkey.

And France might be next - yucky.

France will still be covered, its one of the most visited countries in the world and not near the Middle East.

Its a shame about Turkey (and the VAT issue) as it really is a wonderful place and the food there is sensational.

I guess they cannot replace it due to Montenegro being too far up and other ports being hesitant due to heightened security.

It's a bummer, now we need to pay 21% / 10% more for anything we purchase on board.

I'm sure they can find a close port and replace the existing.

BTW, If I decide to cancel / replace my cruise due to the recent changes, I still have to pay the regular fee?

BTW, If I decide to cancel / replace my cruise due to the recent changes, I still have to pay the regular fee?

Yes, although that doesn't mean Carnival has never made individual exceptions. I have no idea if they would in this case or not.

Edited by fuddrules

I got my TA to find out if it's true and was told NO it's still included.

But they were watching the situation so that could change but for now it will be sailing there.

Until I see a see a letter from carnival saying it's cancelled i'm going to take it it's still in the itinerary. Words written on social Media are now not enough for me to take it as red. By the way I was the one that copied his note on to our Roll call.

Just as a note of interest NCL have Kusadasi as a port of call next year on the Star. My MIL & FIL are looking at a 7 day from Venice that will be stopping there! I think I saw also that Princess are going to Istanbul on a few of there's to.

Personally I think Carnival are panicking a bit early - the next time Vista sails in to Turkey is the 3rd of September.

I got my TA to find out if it's true and was told NO it's still included.

But they were watching the situation so that could change but for now it will be sailing there.

Until I see a see a letter from carnival saying it's cancelled i'm going to take it it's still in the itinerary. Words written on social Media are now not enough for me to take it as red. By the way I was the one that copied his note on to our Roll call.

Just as a note of interest NCL have Kusadasi as a port of call next year on the Star. My MIL & FIL are looking at a 7 day from Venice that will be stopping there! I think I saw also that Princess are going to Istanbul on a few of there's to.

Personally I think Carnival are panicking a bit early - the next time Vista sails in to Turkey is the 3rd of September.

Considering that they are one of the last cruise lines to cancel stops, not sure how they are jumping the gun here. NCL announced in January that they were canceling all 2016 stops in Turkey for all its brands so they could still do the same for 2017.

A lot can happen in a year. I'm not surprised to see it scheduled for next year, they're clearly hoping things improve.

As for Carnival, this is all a matter of risk management. I can assure you they don't take these decisions lightly so clearly some higher-up's deemed the risk too high to be worth calling on this port. I work in safety for a commercial airline and we currently have Turkish destinations, we're evaluating the situation continuously alongside our government partners advising us from a security and political point of view. I imagine the cruise lines are acting similarly.

Hope those who are booked can get another port as a substitute, but even if not, its a beautiful ship to have a sea day!

It's a bummer, now we need to pay 21% / 10% more for anything we purchase on board.

I'm sure they can find a close port and replace the existing.

Finding a close port outside of the EU might not be possible.

Once upon a time, if Carnival changed the itinerary, one could cancel within 24 hours of the change. Not sure if a change because of terrorism would be included.

Finding a close port outside of the EU might not be possible.

Once upon a time, if Carnival changed the itinerary, one could cancel within 24 hours of the change. Not sure if a change because of terrorism would be included.

I believe it was the recent coup attempt and resulting unrest that precipitated Carnival to cancel future Turkey port stops (although Turkey has had terrorism attacks prior to the coup attempt).

Now I have a question about the VAT...will they add an extra 10% to the cost of the cruise price we already paid so now we owe 10% more money even though we are paid in full...or is this just for purchases made on the ship itself?

This extra 10% will add up quickly, we will definitely change how we do things and what we purchase on the ship with this extra cost.

Now I have a question about the VAT...will they add an extra 10% to the cost of the cruise price we already paid so now we owe 10% more money even though we are paid in full...or is this just for purchases made on the ship itself?

This extra 10% will add up quickly, we will definitely change how we do things and what we purchase on the ship with this extra cost.

The extra 10% will be added to all purchases made on board ship. If you pre purchase items before boarding via Carnival, such as the Cheers package, then the extra 10% will not apply.

I am sorry to be ignorant about this...but what is VAT? and why would things cost 10% more just because a port is canceled?

Thank you!!!!

If you do not cruise in European Union (EU) ports, Valued Added Tax (VAT) will not effect you. If a cruise ship stops only in EU countries (France, Spain, Greece, Italy, etc.), VAT will be applied to purchases and services onboard the ship in addition to purchases at ports. Shipboard VAT is 10% additional for drinks and 20% for purchases, including things like spa services. During a cruise, if a ship makes port in one or more non-EU countries, like Turkey, the VAT would not apply at all. By canceling Turkey, the VAT would be charged.