PANICKING-minor traveling

We leave Thursday for NYC and board the ship Saturday. I have a passport for my 11 year old. Birth certificate was lost by the passport processor. Just looked at the ticket booklet and it says if the child and parent have different last names you must provide a certified birth certificate in addition to the passport. There is ZERO chance I can get this before Thursday. What should I do?

I can take his baby book which has his newborn certerfcate with my name and his. I can bring legal papers my ex husband and I have about custody, visitation, etc.

Are we Royally screwed? Will they even ask for the second thing if we have his passport, which I had to have his father’s permission to get anyway?

Can you go directly to the county where the child was born and get a birth certificate in person?

Otherwise, I'd call the cruise line and see if you have any options.

Can you go directly to the county where the child was born and get a birth certificate in person?

Otherwise, I'd call the cruise line and see if you have any options.[/quote

Everything I’m seeing says it’s the state capitol and there is a 3-5 day processing. I thought with the passport there would be nothing else needed

Everything I’m seeing says it’s the state capitol and there is a 3-5 day processing. I thought with the passport there would be nothing else needed

I'd try calling that office and see if they have any sort of emergency service.

I thought there was a form or something you get the other sign and have notarized to allow you take the minor with you. That might solve your problem. Call the cruise line.

He lives out of state. There is no time. It appears that perhaps I can drive to the capitol (6 hours round trip).

Don’t panic yet. Call RCCL and check with them. I have cruised DCL with my children several times and never brought a birth certificate. We also have different last names and their passports were fine. On their first cruise they didn’t have a passport and I used their birth certificates. I did need a notarized letter or form (I can’t remember which) from their father giving me permission to take them out of the country. Maybe you can use that.

Good luck and please keep us posted

Don’t panic yet. Call RCCL and check with them. I have cruised DCL with my children several times and never brought a birth certificate. We also have different last names and their passports were fine. On their first cruise they didn’t have a passport and I used their birth certificates. I did need a notarized letter or form (I can’t remember which) from their father giving me permission to take them out of the country. Maybe you can use that.

Good luck and please keep us posted

You needed the letter because of no passports, correct? Otherwise no letter?

You needed the letter because of no passports, correct? Otherwise no letter?

The cruise was to Canada and Canada is very strict about children traveling with one parent. I don’t know if it was that or because they didn’t have passports.

Do you and the child have different last names because you remarried? If so bring your marriage licence and documentation of your name change (you can get this at your local court house usually).

A certified letter from the father (if the last names match) should be enough. It would be like traveling with a friend's kid.

Your custody agreement may also help (unless the father has sole physical and legal custody), as it should list the minor child's name along with both yours and your ex's.

Not sure what state you live in-you mentioned a 6 hour drive (roundtrip) to get replacement birth certificate-but in Texas you can get a replacement birth certificate for a person born in Texas from the Vital Statistics clerk of ANY County in Texas. Might want to see if that's possible in your state

My ex-wife called me from near New Orleans when she had this problem with my son one time and she was able to drive back to a Texas County near county line and get a replacement and made it to her cruise the next day

Edited by Stallion

Do you and the child have different last names because you remarried? If so bring your marriage licence and documentation of your name change (you can get this at your local court house usually).

A certified letter from the father (if the last names match) should be enough. It would be like traveling with a friend's kid.

Your custody agreement may also help (unless the father has sole physical and legal custody), as it should list the minor child's name along with both yours and your ex's.

I went back to my maiden name after we divorced. I have all sorts of legal custody agreements.

Not sure what state you live in-you mentioned a 6 hour drive (roundtrip) to get replacement birth certificate-but in Texas you can get a replacement birth certificate for a person born in Texas from the Vital Statistics clerk of ANY County in Texas. Might want to see if that's possible in your state

My ex-wife called me from near New Orleans when she had this problem with my son one time and she was able to drive back to a Texas County near county line and get a replacement and made it to her cruise the next day

Unfortunately in my state, Mississippi, it’s only the capital where you can get abcopy.

Even if you order from a company like VitalChek, it is not possible to order today and get them by FedEx on Thursday. It does indeed sound like your only option is to go to the public health office in Ridgeland:

https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/31,1251,109,61.html

If you go, I would recommend getting two copies and putting one in a safe deposit box. Best of luck to you--and have a great cruise!

Even if you order from a company like VitalChek, it is not possible to order today and get them by FedEx on Thursday. It does indeed sound like your only option is to go to the public health office in Ridgeland:

https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/31,1251,109,61.html

If you go, I would recommend getting two copies and putting one in a safe deposit box. Best of luck to you--and have a great cruise!

Yes, we’re on the road now. Two minimum for sure!