Help Please!!!

VOLEYMOM

Our first time for a Mediterranean Cruse!! So many decisions! I know there are many people who have been to Italy on a cruise so asking you experts for some help! Taking a 10 day cruise, leaving from Civitavecchia. We arrive around 8:00 am the day before our cruise, flying the overnight from LA and know we will be wiped out. We are hoping to get a little sightseeing in but have no clue where to stay for that one night. We will be going back to Rome after the cruise for 3 or 4 days then off to Venice for the last few days. Recommendations for transportation to Venice from Rome, hotels for both Rome and Venice. So many decisions and I am in charge for our group, so any help and recommendations will be much appreciated. Going to make them buy me lots of drinks for all my research!!

How many in your group and what ages? Makes a big difference if you are all able to get around well and on your own. If you have a large enough group to be feasible you could consider having a driver pick you up at airport, take you to a spot or two in Rome and then drive you to the port where you could stay in a hotel that night and relax next morning before boarding.

(It's not something I normally would recommend, as I love staying in Rome and find Civitavecchia very pokey, but in your case it might appeal....)

I agree with Bruce that the high-speed train is the way to go from Venice to Rome. Many good threads on this already exist if you hunker down and do some reading on this forum.

Regarding hotels, I'd need a better idea of what your budget is, any special circumstances (e.g., the need for a triple or quad room) and desired location.

Oh should have added more info. 4 of us. Even though in 60's we are all fit and can get around great. Stairs no problem, trying to pack light, but probably will each have a carryon and then one larger suitcase. Don't mind spending a little more for a better experience but would not like to break the bank. We know this is going to cost us $$$ but worth it we feel. Happy so far, got a great deal on airfare from the West Coast and cruise not overly expensive. Makes for more money to spend in Europe! Have been reading through all the threads but there are so many, I mainly need hotel recommendations and best way to get to Venice and where to stay there since there are a lot of threads on car companies and tour operators. Since we haven't seen any of Italy we are open to anything!

The train from Rome to Venice works great. Easier and cheaper than flying IMO if you can handle getting your luggage on and off the train. You might also consider a stop in Florence for a day as it is about half way between and you can see a lot of Florence in a day.

I’ve stayed at the Papadopoli Hotel and Best Western Olympia in Venice. Both are close to the train station and vaporetto. Easy to walk to Rialto Bridge and San Marco if you like. Olympia was significantly cheaper last trip and we were very happy with it.

Our favorite hotel in Rome is Albergo del Senato. Not cheap but wonderful hotel and location.

Book your hotels early as the prices tend to rise significantly closer to the date of stay.

We use RomeCabs for transport from the airport to Rome and then to the port. Fairly reasonable split 4 ways.

As I have flown to Rome from California myself, I know how tired you will be upon arrival. I think you will be good for maybe 3 hours of sight seeing then dinner and bed. Unless you have a tour scheduled, you will probably not really see that much of Rome on your arrival day and will of course want to get to the port of Civitavecchia the next day.

If you don't mind riding the trains, that is really the way to go, even with luggage. I suggest the Leonardo Express from the Fiumicino airport to Rome Termini station. It takes about 35 minutes. Then change to the train to Civitavecchia which takes about 55 minutes and is 5 or 6 Euro each. Then spend the night in Civi at a hotel 1-3 blocks from the train station. Enjoy a restful evening and take a shuttle/taxi to the pier in the morning. We stayed at Hotel Mediterraneo while other stayed at San Georgio right next door for quite a bit more. We just did this with our luggage and we are in 60's and 80's.

If you decide to stay in Rome on arrival from airport, look for a hotel very near Termini. There are lots. Then take the Civi train.

We took the train from Venice (after cruise) to Rome and it is an easy 3:45 minute trip. I suggest you sit near your luggage or use a cable/lock to keep your luggage together. Luggage has been known to be stolen. In Venice, the water bus is right outside the train station and will get you just about anywhere you want to go. We usually stay within 1-2 blocks of the station as we can walk to the hotel and there is a lot to see and eat in that area. It is more expensive to stay in Venice but I recommend it as you are so close and quick to everything. If you are staying 3-4 days, I highly recommend looking for a home/apartment rental vs. a hotel room as they will be cheaper, are much larger and more fun to share with others in your party plus the kitchen is nice to have for some meals. You did not mention which month you are traveling. If on a 'shoulder' month, verify your hotel/apartment has the A/C turned on during your stay. In Italy they mostly turn the A/C off October 1 no matter what their website says.

I would stay in Rome that first night and spend as much time out of doors in (hopefully) the sunshine to help your body adjust to the time change.

With four people it will be fairly economical to share the cost of a car/van to the port. This has the advantage of being dropped off right at your ship.

For the return the train to Rome may work for you, or else another shared car service. If you do go for the train I would at least consider one of the more expensive fast trains because they guarantee you a seat, as opposed to the free-for-all on the regional train. With luggage having an assigned seat makes life easier.

We arrive around 8:00 am the day before our cruise, flying the overnight from LA and know we will be wiped out. We are hoping to get a little sightseeing in but have no clue where to stay for that one night. We will be going back to Rome after the cruise for 3 or 4 days then off to Venice for the last few days.

I was just looking at the Rome Cabs website because of an answer in another thread. Here is an idea, treat the day you arrive as a hybrid between a "shore excursion from Civitavecchia" and an "airport transfer." http://www.romecabs.com/shoreexcursions/civitavecchia/

BUT, have them pick you up at the airport and give you the tour before they drop you off at a hotel in Civitavecchia. There are 3 excursions that will work very well: "Countryside Splendor," "Ostia Antica and Cerveteri" or "Etruscan Mysteries." The ONLY one that is available on a Monday is the "Countryside Splendor." You will crash that night at the hotel. Just take it easy the day of embarkation to be rested for the cruise. Email Rome Cabs, they will accommodate you.

It is a good thing you have time in Rome after the cruise, so no need to go there when you first arrive.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. All seem very doable and great suggestions. I like the idea of staying close to the port. I never can sleep on a plane so know I will be very wiped out! Just booked a Air BnB in Venice. Looks lovely and we love to walk and just enjoy the sites. Great idea for locking luggage too. Thanks once again for all your help.

We also love Albergo Del Senato. Have stayed twice so far. Wonderful rooftop bar overlooking the Pantheon. You might even get lucky enough to have someone singing opera right in the square. Wonderful location.

Also enjoyed Residenza Argentina, less expensive - very modern, exceptionally clean rooms. Happy hour and lovely breakfast.

This summer, trying 9 Hotel. Much less expensive - traveling with children and grandchildren.

Answering your question specifically . Take the Leonardo Express from Roma FCO Airport to Roma Termini runs every 30 mins . Then connecting local train to Civitavecchia regular departures and trip takes around 40 mins. Recommend Hotel Miramare on waterfront just down some steps right in front of station . Restaurants nearby , and short walk along the promenade into the heart of town . Book on line direct via Hotel website to avoid paying middle man commissions . Taxi is set rate 15 Euros from Hotel to the new port entry where you either take shuttle bus to your ship, or sometimes taxi right to quayside at your ship . Civitavecchia is a beautiful port city with great eateries and a lovely waterfront . The ugly container port is miles up the coast .