Question regarding boarding ship in Venice

ritraveler

Can anyone that has sailed out of Venice recently advise whether there are shuttles to the ship when you get off the people mover.. I haven’t sailed out of Venice in years so the last time I did they had shuttle buses right in Piazzale Roma that brought us right to the ship

Can anyone that has sailed out of Venice recently advise whether there are shuttles to the ship when you get off the people mover.. I haven’t sailed out of Venice in years so the last time I did they had shuttle buses right in Piazzale Roma that brought us right to the ship

It seems to be hit and miss. But during the daytime and early evening there is usually an internal port shuttle bus that has a stop near the People Mover (you still have to walk from the station over to the road...dragging your own luggage). When the bus is running you might find yourself waiting 15-30 minutes for the next vehicle.

The last time we were docked in Venice our ship did an overnight. DW and I went into town for dinner and returned to the port (via People Mover) about 10:45 (I think the People Mover closed at 11). When we got to the port we correctly surmised that there was no bus operating..so had to make the long hike to our ship which was at the most distant pier.

Hank

When we sailed out of Venice, I did all the planning and thought I had it locked in as a great set up. Got a hotel near the people mover so we’d just roll our suitcases over easily, and jump on from there. Idiot boy picked a hotel that was a former monastery .....boy did those monks live frugally! And it listed an elevator, but that was only for luggage. Worked out but a bit challenging.

It rained on our boarding day and when we got off the people mover, turned out our dock was the last one, well away. Didn’t see any shuttle, and had a ton of people waiting so we walked it. More than a bit challenging!

By the way, it was an overnight and when we took the ship boat shuttle to Piazza San Marco, it was flooded with planks set up to walk across. We went shopping and when we went to leave, the area around the shop was flooded, and the shopkeeper put plastic bags on our shoes so we could wade to the planks! Nothing stops us from shopping!

And San Marco is well worth rain or anything else. It’s what I think the most beautiful structure built. Loved pulling up in a boat shuttle, but if you walk through Venice to get to it, walking through all those tiny streets, and you then step out onto the Piazza, it is breathtaking.

If you can, get a portside SR so you can see it from the channel, or be up on deck to watch it as you go by. A sight not to miss.

Den

Thank you very much for the information provided and thank-you to the OP. We will be boarding the Constellation in Venice in May 2019.

Venice appears to be all: Beautiful! Complex! Historic! and Unique!

Information is really welcome!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for all the feedback! We board next Thursday August 30!!! We are wondering if taking a land taxi from Piazzale Roma would get us any closer to the ship than the people mover would... anyone with experience with land taxis to the ship?

Thanks for all the feedback! We board next Thursday August 30!!! We are wondering if taking a land taxi from Piazzale Roma would get us any closer to the ship than the people mover would... anyone with experience with land taxis to the ship?

Yes, a taxi will take you up to the terminal/dock the ship is tied up to.

Den

Yes, a taxi can get you right to your pier. It is about a 1 mile drive and most taxis will ask for at least 20€ for that 5 min ride.

Hank

If you take a water taxi from your hotel how close can they take you?

We sail next year from Venice and it might influence our hotel choice.

The pier the water taxi's stop at is slightly closer than the people mover but not much, it might save you some of the walk, but all it depends which berth your ship is in, the Vaporetto also stops at the same place. I've been from berth's further away and sometimes there's been a bus and sometimes not, like others say it's pot luck!

The shuttle buses from Pizzale Roma seemed to cease once the people mover opened.

The watertaxi & waterbus station at the pier is the floating wood dock along the "short arm" of the pier directly in front of the 1st ship docked on the main pier. You can see it on Google Earth.

A regular (4 wheel) taxi from PR (or the airport) can drop you right at your boarding location next to the ship.

The four-wheeled taxi’s also can be used from Piazzale Roma which is the entry into main Venice and is the last car access area for Venice. A number of hotels around it. Not as neat as the rest of Venice since there re cars around but easy access to the People Mover and to a land taxi.

There are water taxis and a water shuttle that goes into the rest of Venice from there. Many park at this piazza and go into Venice from there or the airport taxi drops you off there and you can walk, water taxi or water shuttle to your hotel in Venice and of course reverse to get back to the piazza to land taxi to ship.

Lots of options.

Den