Medevac to a foreign country?

bigwally

What if you and a companion have to medevac from your ship to a foreign country, what (if anything) do they do about customs/immigration? What if that country would also normally require visitors to have a visa?

Visas would be waived in medical emergencies. Customs and immigration would be dealt with as soon as reasonably possible, aided by the ship's agent and the consular officials. Again, each country will have procedures to deal with emergency entrance into the country, and your consulate will assist.

without going into details let me just say that in my 30 years of Coast Guard service I never heard of a case where a legitimate medivac was held up for 'immigration' issues. Not when needing to bring someone into the US for treatment or when someone needed to be taken ashore in another country .....

There are procedures in place to handle the 'emergency' situation ......

I live 8 miles from the Canadian border and the same procedures are in place on land- patients are taken to the nearest appropriate medical facility and if that means crossing the border procedures are in place to make it happen (and the same holds true for fire and rescue personnel responding from one country to another).

Also, if you purchased good insurance from a reputable company you would still be covered under 'cruise cover' even if you did not list that country as part of your holiday route.

Correct and as an FYI because many do not know but Medicare does not cover out of country. Many insurance companies also don’t cover. Wife and I were lucky before Medicare our insurance at the time covered us.