Currency Exchange on the Serenade

The ship may have a very small amount of foreign currency, but it is not a currency exchange and the exchange rate would not be good.

Best to use a bank ATM in port, or get the foreign currency before the trip.

Most places in that part of the world take credit cards for just about everything everywhere (must have a chip, no AMEX, Visa or MC only). We were planning to hit the ATMs for local cash as well, but did not find it necessary. YMMV.

The best exchange rate is to hit the ATM when you arrive in a country.

Best to have a card that does not have foreign transaction fees.

The only place I have been that required chip cards is Netherlands. And there, for some things you had to have chip AND PIN card, not just a chip card (many US chip card are not chip and PIN).

Most hotels accept AMEX, but smaller venders tend not to do so. Restaurants are hit and miss with AMEX.

The only place I have been that required chip cards is Netherlands. And there, for some things you had to have chip AND PIN card, not just a chip card (many US chip card are not chip and PIN).

Isn't it required that all cards now be chip cards, and the all merchants that use chip cards, are protected with fraud, but if you still swipe, they are no longer protected. Also, signatures are no longer required. I used my credit cards for two weeks in the Netherlands, and the rest of the Baltic area without any issue. You don't need chip and Pin.

Most hotels accept AMEX, but smaller venders tend not to do so. Restaurants are hit and miss with AMEX.

I only used my AMEX card for all transactions, which included restaurants, stores, attractions, and even vending machines for transportation tickets. Only once, did I go to a place that did not accept AMEX. It was a museum. The laws in Europe changed that placed a max on credit card companies the rate they can charge a merchant. AMEX was always high, but with the change in laws, AMEX became the same cost of everything else, so it is now more widely accepted. However, a rule of thumb is always have a Visa/MC with you, even in the USA, because, you will always have some random places that will not accept it.

I only used my AMEX card for all transactions, which included restaurants, stores, attractions, and even vending machines for transportation tickets. Only once, did I go to a place that did not accept AMEX. It was a museum. The laws in Europe changed that placed a max on credit card companies the rate they can charge a merchant. AMEX was always high, but with the change in laws, AMEX became the same cost of everything else, so it is now more widely accepted. However, a rule of thumb is always have a Visa/MC with you, even in the USA, because, you will always have some random places that will not accept it.

Don't try that in Sicily.

NOWHERE accepted AMEX.

My primary VISA card is one of the newer metal ones, and does not say VISA on the front. Had SEVERAL places try to hand it back, until I turned if over and showed them the VISA logo.

We also tried to exchange a small amount of US dollars for Euros on the ship, for paying taxi drivers, but the ship would not do it. The other way around, yes they would do it...Euros for dollars...but not sure why.

Probably because they have little Euro and if one person got it, others would also.

ATM.

And hold on you excess Euros, you will probably get to use them some other trip.

... And hold on you excess Euros, you will probably get to use them some other trip.

That's what we do. I always come home with around 150 Euros so I have some at the beginning of the next trip.

Most U.S. credit cards are chip & sign. When you use it in Europe, they know the difference and will print out a slip for you to sign, whereas European CC's are chip & pin.

Probably because they have little Euro and if one person got it, others would also.

ATM.

And hold on you excess Euros, you will probably get to use them some other trip.

Yeah, I had some...and forgot to take them..still at home :o, but now in with my cruise pack.

We were able to exchange a small amount of US dollars for Norwegian Kroner on our Navigator cruise in June, so it's likely they would be able to do it on Serenade. Like others have said, it's not the most cost effective method, but in our case, it was just enough for a cash tip for our tour guide, so the exchange hit I'm sure we took was probably negligible.

Most U.S. credit cards are chip & sign. When you use it in Europe, they know the difference and will print out a slip for you to sign, whereas European CC's are chip & pin.

In Netherlands, many venues with ONLY accept chip and PIN cards. BT, DT.

Yes, most will just print out a slip to sign, like the US.

We were able to exchange a small amount of US dollars for Norwegian Kroner on our Navigator cruise in June, so it's likely they would be able to do it on Serenade. Like others have said, it's not the most cost effective method, but in our case, it was just enough for a cash tip for our tour guide, so the exchange hit I'm sure we took was probably negligible.

In most of Europe they are happy to take tips in US dollars. Many of them travel to the US, so save it for their trip, so they do not have to pay currency conversion fees.

Some people in Europe have bank accounts in USD, where they deposit and withdraw funds in USD without conversion.