Cabins With Partially Obstructed Views Near Magic Carpet

vtcruising

So two on each side of the MC are considered obstructed views. Probably because the track sticks out from the side of the ship, not because of the MC itself. They have also listed every cabin next to any change in the side structure that causes any restriction in a 180 degree view outside a window/balcony. There are several elevation changes along both sides of the ship (most people probably didn't notice). Surprised they didn't list these from the beginning!

So two on each side of the MC are considered obstructed views. Probably because the track sticks out from the side of the ship, not because of the MC itself. They have also listed every cabin next to any change in the side structure that causes any restriction in a 180 degree view outside a window/balcony. There are several elevation changes along both sides of the ship (most people probably didn't notice). Surprised they didn't list these from the beginning!

Thanks, I didn’t don’t have time to look them all over because I was headed to work. I just saw that many were next to the MC. I agree with the elevation changes - will be interesting to see if people have issues. The other thing I noticed early on is the big overhang over the 12th deck with supports. Hope those aren’t bothersome. We avoided the 12 th deck due to the unknowns.

I found a list of cabins with partially obstructed views. They are the ones near the MC. This will give people an idea how far across it will reach.

Where is the list if I may ask? Thanks

Edit - Never mind I do see it now.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

We are in #9156. I will let you know how it works out for us.

Your cabin isn't on the obstructed list (at least I didn't see it) so should be okay. I think two cabins down, 9160, is on the list because it is tucked into a corner so will have an obstructed forward view, but looks like the balcony has starboard and aft views. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Note how the cabins on either side of the MC drop down a class, probably due to the obstruction. We're in 2162 which is S3, a lower class suite, also probably due to a partially obstructed view. However, as suites are pushed out the side of the ship, the obstruction should not be as bad. I'm eager to find out.

Note how the cabins on either side of the MC drop down a class, probably due to the obstruction. We're in 2162 which is S3, a lower class suite, also probably due to a partially obstructed view. However, as suites are pushed out the side of the ship, the obstruction should not be as bad. I'm eager to find out.

We are on the first two preview cruises, with an S1 aft on the first cruise and an S3 for the second cruise. I really wanted to experience this type of cabin, knowing that there may be some issues (and saved a few bucks by not booking an S1 or S2 for the second cruise).

I probably wouldn't have done it if an S3 on the aft end had not been available. You have probably seen the opening in the balcony toward the aft (see arrow in picture below - that will be my balcony). I like that it may have an open feeling with the front and side open. I chose an aft one (as you likely did) to avoid the wind that the forward S3s may have from the opening when moving (or maybe they will be glassed in). I also like that the balcony is set out from the ship and that it is 102 sq ft, so bigger than the S2 balconies. I think there will be partial obstruction issues with the tracks of the magic carpet, but how much remains to be seen. There also may be some noise from people on the MC. For 3 days, we will be fine. :D

I also will definitely be on my balcony when a scheduled MC move occurs, videotaping the event. Front row seats! :cool:

enhance

VT - I was wondering after looking at the photo and your note above "I also will definitely be on my balcony when a scheduled MC move occurs, videotaping the event. Front row seats! :cool:", I imagine there will be quite a buffer between the forward edge of your balcony and the outer MC rail. So that might be part of your forward and downward view obstruction.

VT - I was wondering after looking at the photo and your note above "I also will definitely be on my balcony when a scheduled MC move occurs, videotaping the event. Front row seats! :cool:", I imagine there will be quite a buffer between the forward edge of your balcony and the outer MC rail. So that might be part of your forward and downward view obstruction.

I agree that there will have to be a big gap between our balcony railings and the MC - otherwise we might lose some body parts when the MC passes by. :D That's why I am glad we have the side window - we will be able to see straight ahead and aft at least. We'll be happy as long as we can see some water and have some sunshine!

This picture gives an idea of how many cabins will be affected on each side of the MC when parked on a particular deck (if it is to scale).

th?id=OIP.V8ZInIqGGxfNzZzw5SVnFQHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=318&h=180

I agree that there will have to be a big gap between our balcony railings and the MC - otherwise we might lose some body parts when the MC passes by. :D That's why I am glad we have the side window - we will be able to see straight ahead and aft at least. We'll be happy as long as we can see some water and have some sunshine!

This picture gives an idea of how many cabins will be affected on each side of the MC when parked on a particular deck (if it is to scale).

th?id=OIP.V8ZInIqGGxfNzZzw5SVnFQHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=318&h=180

I think you made a great choice choosing one on the end. I do hope you get some great views either way. We are in an S2 on the same side as the MC but forward. We thighs it would be interesting seeing the MC from our balcony. There have been days that I have contemplated moving to the Portside of the ship. But since we are traveling with other family who are also on the starboard side and close, we will stay where we are.

I think you made a great choice choosing one on the end. I do hope you get some great views either way. We are in an S2 on the same side as the MC but forward. We thighs it would be interesting seeing the MC from our balcony. There have been days that I have contemplated moving to the Portside of the ship. But since we are traveling with other family who are also on the starboard side and close, we will stay where we are.

I think the MC will be a great show, at least for one cruise. [emoji2]

Has anyone noticed how the massive MC creates a wide area of obstruction on deck 6 when it settles on deck 5 to be used as a restaurant? I assume it would be there only at night, spending daytime on the pool decks.

Has anyone noticed how the massive MC creates a wide area of obstruction on deck 6 when it settles on deck 5 to be used as a restaurant? I assume it would be there only at night, spending daytime on the pool decks.

I agree - that's one reason why I avoided S3s on deck 6 and 7. I had thought that the MC would be on 5 at lunchtime and dinnertime. The MC Raw Bar extension will be only used at night (at least for now) so as you said, the MC will likely only be on 5 at dinnertime. I do find that disappointing from the point of view that it would be a nice lunch option.

I think that the dinner noise will carry upward and may affect others above as well. Oh well, we won't be on our balcony 24/7 (and usually we are at dinner and a show at that time) and should be able to enjoy it most of the time. :D

I think the photo VT posted in post 13 is a rendering. It is showing the MC on deck 6 at that moment I believe. While the cabins on deck 6 near the MC will have an obstruction, it may not be as bad as it is in that rendering.

• 4 weeks later...

I was going through the 99 pages of posts on "Edge blocks in the house" and I came across a few posts that have me wondering a bit about obstructed cabins on deck 6. Now the official list of obstructed cabins the VTcruising posted show cabins next to areas that jut out. However what I learned is that 1) the lifeboats are double decker unlike the boats on S class.... (the only Celebrity ships I have experienced).. so if the ceiling in deck 5 is the same height as on S class... it suggests the life boats might be as much of and 'obstruction' if not more so than on S class (2D and 2C) cabins. Also if you look at Llyod's post #702 in the "Edge blocks in the house" thread you will see that the davits could be more of an obstruction than some may expect, given the lack of obstructed cabin designation by Celebrity. As I have noted in the past I have had a 2D before on S class and it really wasn't an issue... or course I also had a really really good deal on the cruise... so much more willing to overlook a lifeboat and I knew it was obstructed when booked. Anyway it will be interesting to see what is what. However, if the thought of looking at a davit or lifeboat.... (now probably just through the bottom... below the railing), is an issue for you... you might want to consider a higher deck or wait until passengers report back. I will take photos in December.

I was going through the 99 pages of posts on "Edge blocks in the house" and I came across a few posts that have me wondering a bit about obstructed cabins on deck 6. Now the official list of obstructed cabins the VTcruising posted show cabins next to areas that jut out. However what I learned is that 1) the lifeboats are double decker unlike the boats on S class.... (the only Celebrity ships I have experienced).. so if the ceiling in deck 5 is the same height as on S class... it suggests the life boats might be as much of and 'obstruction' if not more so than on S class (2D and 2C) cabins. Also if you look at Llyod's post #702 in the "Edge blocks in the house" thread you will see that the davits could be more of an obstruction than some may expect, given the lack of obstructed cabin designation by Celebrity. As I have noted in the past I have had a 2D before on S class and it really wasn't an issue... or course I also had a really really good deal on the cruise... so much more willing to overlook a lifeboat and I knew it was obstructed when booked. Anyway it will be interesting to see what is what. However, if the thought of looking at a davit or lifeboat.... (now probably just through the bottom... below the railing), is an issue for you... you might want to consider a higher deck or wait until passengers report back. I will take photos in December.

I agree that the davits look like more of an issue and I have a feeling we will hear about those. The lifeboat tops look pretty much like at the window level in the models and renditions, but we will have to see the real thing. I'm not one to care much about looking down as much as I want to look outward.

enhance

enhance

We decided to move to the port side of the ship after realizing that there might be issues with the MC. Now that I look at the list, our former cabin was next to one with an obstructed view. I can't believe our former cabin would have been wide open. Glad we changed.

We decided to move to the port side of the ship after realizing that there might be issues with the MC. Now that I look at the list, our former cabin was next to one with an obstructed view. I can't believe our former cabin would have been wide open. Glad we changed.

Excellent move!

The model looks like the top of the lifeboats may be just at or slightly about the floor on deck 6, but the drawing looks a tad higher. We will just have to wait and see. My point is that if the obstruction is similar to say a 2D S class, then they should notify passengers of this. I only paid $2000 all in for my husband and I on a 12 day cruise on Silhouette... so I was willing to take the chance and it turned out that I liked the cabin despite looking into a lifeboat... but at least I did not have a davit to look past. But if you are paying about twice the price of a normal cruise, they should give you a heads up. My assumption was that since they define a 2D as obstructed that they would do so under similar conditions for the Edge. But I wanted to see the ship and knew that it would be a learning experience... so it is okay for me. I hope I am wrong and that it is better than 2D cabins. The photos are looking good.

We felt there might be issues and booked on the other side as well..AQ.

But we will be watching the reviews and posts to hear how folks react to being on the MC side, near the track, etc.

The spreadsheet set up by Vt cruising will no doubt be a big help!