Hotel in Amsterdam

ORD1166

All,

Looking at a couple of Hilton Hotels in Amsterdam. 1st is the Doubletree at NDSM Wharf and the 2nd one is the Hilton Amsterdam. Both have a good price and dates are open for when we will be there. Question is getting to and from either hotel to the sights in Amsterdam? And also getting to the ship from the hotel? Already looked at Doubletree Centeral Station and it is a little more than what we would like to spend.

I know some of you have stayed in Amsterdam before and some live there. This will be our first trip to Amsterdam and are going to spend at least two full days sight seeing.

Thanks for the help.

Vic

Hilton is in the southern part of Amsterdam. You need public transport or cab to city centre and also the cruise terminal.

Doubletree Central Station is by far the best location, close to the cruise terminal (it is even walkable) and close to centre. Besides public transport in all directions is also closeby.

I donot know the Doubletree NDSM, but it sounds like it is on the other side of the water in Amsterdam, so you need either one of the ferries to Centraal Station, or a bus to Centraal Station, or a cab to get to the cruise terminal.

• 2 weeks later...

we have a reservation next April at the Crowne Plaza Amsterdam-South. Anyone familiar with that location or have any thoughts about staying there? Good? Bad?...thanks

We're there 3 nights following our TA. Hoping to see the sights...

Edited by IndyCapt
Add'l info.

Like the name says it is in the southern part of town. You need a tram or metro to get to the centre and back at all times. Maybe check the crown plaza in the centre?

Like the name says it is in the southern part of town. You need a tram or metro to get to the centre and back at all times. Maybe check the crown plaza in the centre?

ok, I thought maybe someone may know the area specifically as far as any restaurants nearby, etc. Would that location be between the city centre and airport?...we've never been to Amsterdam.

• 2 weeks later...

Ine,

First, thanks so much for all the help you give!! Your input is so very valuable.

We are staying in what is being called a Canal House on Herengracht for a couple nights before our cruise. Looking at a map, it seems to be in a pretty good location as far as getting around. We are planning to do as much walking as possible. On the day we arrive, at 8:30 am, we are planning on leaving our luggage and catching the train to Zaanse Schans for the day. Upon returning to the city, we thought we would wonder a bit in the Red Light district, before giving up and heading to bed due to the time change. Can we walk from the train station to the Red Light district and then back to our canal home? Is this area safe and easy to navigate?

The next day we had planned on using the HOHO, visiting Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum museums on pre brought tickets. And taking a canal cruise that evening.

Our third day is the day we board the ship. We planned on walking to the Anne Frank house, using our pre bought tickets for an early morning tour. Then we would walk back to our canal house, get our luggage and go to the ship for check in. We were then planning on walking from the ship to the DAM area and enjoying that section of Amsterdam, then back to the ship for our departure. My other question for you is, in your opinion, should we purchase the Travel Ticket? Would we be needing to use public transportation, other than the HOHO, the train ticket from the airport and the tickets to and from Zaanse Schans? And how often do the bus/trams run in the 'tourist area'? Are they easy to use? Schedules easy to read?

And any other suggestions on how to spend our limited time in Amsterdam?

Again, thanks for all your help.

Ine,

First, thanks so much for all the help you give!! Your input is so very valuable.

We are staying in what is being called a Canal House on Herengracht for a couple nights before our cruise. Looking at a map, it seems to be in a pretty good location as far as getting around. We are planning to do as much walking as possible. On the day we arrive, at 8:30 am, we are planning on leaving our luggage and catching the train to Zaanse Schans for the day. Upon returning to the city, we thought we would wonder a bit in the Red Light district, before giving up and heading to bed due to the time change. Can we walk from the train station to the Red Light district and then back to our canal home? Is this area safe and easy to navigate?

Not only train goes to Zaanse Schans but also a bus. Bus gets a bit closer to Zaanse Schans. However the view over the river coming from the trainstation is much nicer. More info here: https://www.dezaanseschans.nl/en/plan-your-visit/accessibility/

Yes RLD is very close to Centraal Station, just a few minutes away. Check section B4 on this Amsterdam map. Around oude Kerk etc. is RLD.https://www.amsterdam.info/print/map/

The next day we had planned on using the HOHO, visiting Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum museums on pre brought tickets. And taking a canal cruise that evening.

I am not such a big fan of the Hoho bus as it cannot come to some of the busy or narrow streets. Often a daily ticket for buses and trams is as easy too. Indeed book museums ahead, lines can be long sometimes. There are regular sailings of canalcruises but also some with ""wine and cheese".

https://www.stromma.nl/en/amsterdam/dining-cruises/drinks-cruises/cheese-wine-cruise/

and http://www.rederijkooij.nl/en/our-canal-cruises

Our third day is the day we board the ship. We planned on walking to the Anne Frank house, using our pre bought tickets for an early morning tour. Then we would walk back to our canal house, get our luggage and go to the ship for check in. We were then planning on walking from the ship to the DAM area and enjoying that section of Amsterdam, then back to the ship for our departure. My other question for you is, in your opinion, should we purchase the Travel Ticket? Would we be needing to use public transportation, other than the HOHO, the train ticket from the airport and the tickets to and from Zaanse Schans? And how often do the bus/trams run in the 'tourist area'? Are they easy to use? Schedules easy to read?

And any other suggestions on how to spend our limited time in Amsterdam?

Absolutely prebook Anne Frankhuis , tickets come available 2 months before. Another option is incl. lectures whcih can be booked 2 weeks before. If you donot prebook forget the visit due to long lines, and entrancew will be only after 3 pm.

Are you familiar with this small museum/church more or less on the RLD district: https://www.opsolder.nl/en

and also the Oude Kerk, (old church) right in the RLD. https://oudekerk.nl/en/

There are some tickets incl. transportation, but you might as well buy single traintickets to/from the airprot to Amsterdam Centraal. Once in Amsterdam buy the GVB ticket for unlimited use of trams and buses in the city. (unless of course you prefer to walk most of the times and for a single ride buy it inside the tram).

https://en.gvb.nl/ontdek-amsterdam/gvb-dag-meerdagenkaart

Another optiom is this regional ticket, so check which one will work best for you. https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport/region-day-ticket

Again, thanks for all your help.

Glad to help you!

Glad to help you!

Thanks for your suggestions. I have noted the churches for our RLD walk.

I looked into the Travel card, vs the Region Travel Card vs a 3 day GVB. Once the train tickets are added, they are all pretty close in price. We love to walk, but need to consider some time constraints and weather. So still thinking about that one.

According to google maps, it is only a 1/2 mile walk from the train station to our Canal House. Is it feasible to walk with our luggage? Or would it be appropriate to drag our luggage onto a bus/tram when going from the train station to our Canal House?

As far as the HOHO, the only pro for that is that we will learn a bit more about Amsterdam from the narration, and that's always a good thing. But probably not needed to provide transportation if we get one of the Travel Tickets.

Not only train goes to Zaanse Schans but also a bus. Bus gets a bit closer to Zaanse Schans. However the view over the river coming from the trainstation is much nicer.Glad to help you!

Which side of the train would have the best view into Zaanse Schans?

Which side of the train would have the best view into Zaanse Schans?

Maybe the right site, but donot expect any scenicviews. Watch near Zaandam station for the hotel that looks like houses on top of eachother. https://www.inntelhotelsamsterdamzaandam.nl/

In case you want to make photos, get out of the train, hotel is almost next to the station and continue with the next one. During weekdays trains go every 15 minutes, on weekends every 30 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Not that many hotels are suitable for 3 persons. Maybe best to have a look first at booking.com or hotels.com. You can check locations also on that site. If you have any questions after that, maybe before make reservations, com back to me.

We stayed at the Hilton Amsterdam in 2009, after a cruise that round-tripped from Rotterdam, so I don't know about the relation to the cruise terminal. We used taxis to & from the central station.

That said, however, the Hilton is a short walk from a couple of tram lines, which we used for almost all of our sightseeing.

Not that many hotels are suitable for 3 persons. Maybe best to have a look first at booking.com or hotels.com. You can check locations also on that site. If you have any questions after that, maybe before make reservations, com back to me.

Yes, I’m finding that !!

Movenpick Amsterdam city has suitable room types central station west , thoughts ?

Much thanks

Yes, I’m finding that !!

Movenpick Amsterdam city has suitable room types central station west , thoughts ?

Much thanks

Very nice hotel right above the cruise terminal. Walking distance to Centraal Station or take tramnr. 2 From there enough public transport to any place in town and other places. Amsterdam is very walkable and rather compact.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ine - I am considering the Doubletree central station or the Kimpton Dewitt ( where I can use points for 2 nights). Can you recommend one over the other. I know the Doubletree is an excellent location. We are traveling in Mid April and I guess we are booking a bit late, as well as the high price season, the points will save us a good amount of money.

Thanks

Marci

I am not that familiar with the Kimpton Hotel since it is rather new. It indeed looks very nice on their website. As Doubletree the location is certainly o.k., close to city center.

Doubletree is a nice bar on the topfloor with view over the city, but you donot need to stay in this hotel to visit that bar.

• 3 months later...

We end our River Cruise in Amsterdam and have reservations for 3 day post stay at the Banks Mansion. Should we need to get a taxi from the Cruise Port to Banks Mansion? Will this location be good for walking to Museums or the RLD?