Reduced Mobility Passenger

LondonTowner

We've travelled with scooter and wheelchair users a few times now and have never experienced issues obtaining an accessible room for those who required one.

As has been pointed out you are still breaching SOLAS regulations by abandoning your scooter in a public space. The crew have to clean the carpet and walls regularly so you are also inconveniencing them and it is possible that an individual could walk into or trip over your scooter, so my comments stand. I appreciate the challenges faced by wheelchair and scooter users, people reading this may well need one themselves at some point in the future but it's simply wrong to leave them in a public space.

To the OP, I don't know what the exact rules are for taking a scooter on a tender but common sense and a pragmatic approach would suggest that it is highly unlikely Celebrity or anyone else would want to take them on a tender. They can't guarantee the weather conditions and definitely will not want to risk damaging or dropping your scooter in the sea!

I'd also recommend researching ports and pick an itinerary with minimal or better still no tendering.

Hardly "abandoning" my steward knows who it belongs to and has never complained or "reported" me. I was merely pointing out that I agree that it isn't acceptable to station them on the narrow ship's corridors. There is also the issue that it would make the room very difficult to clean if the steward had to try and negotiate the scooter.

I have always found Celebrity staff to be so helpful and considerate re my disabilities and are thankfully not as unhelpful as some. I go out of my way to ensure that it doesn't impede anyone else. I have been told by quite a few people that accessible cabins can be booked up extremely early as in on a cruise date being issued.

Hardly "abandoning" my steward knows who it belongs to and has never complained or "reported" me. I was merely pointing out that I agree that it isn't acceptable to station them on the narrow ship's corridors. There is also the issue that it would make the room very difficult to clean if the steward had to try and negotiate the scooter.

I have always found Celebrity staff to be so helpful and considerate re my disabilities and are thankfully not as unhelpful as some. I go out of my way to ensure that it doesn't impede anyone else. I have been told by quite a few people that accessible cabins can be booked up extremely early as in on a cruise date being issued.

Hmmmmm

You're clearly trying to justify things to yourself. The whole point of the accessibility rooms is that they have additional space for the scooter so that your steward will have adequate space to perform his duties amongst other things. So your excuse there is quite invalid.

I note you've deliberately avoided all references to the SOLAS regulations. You should ask yourself why scooters are not allowed to be left in public places and why these regulations exist in the first place.

If accessible rooms were always sold out early why do we constantly see posts stating that if you book a GTY cabin you might end up with a handicapped room if they have not sold? Your claim is simply unfounded.

Lets be honest you're steward is not available 24 / 7 but people are moving around the ship at all times of day and could be inconvenienced by people leaving their scooters in public spaces. Try seeing things from other peoples perspective and not just your own. Surely the safety of many is more important than one person who only thinks only of themselves.

As for positioning a scooter right against a wall away from doors - corridor accessing ones or elevator doors in the roomy area by the forward elevators.... I do not see an issue and it certainly isn't in the way as it would be left on a corridor. I have never seen that either on a cruise.

Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation.

https://www.celebritycruises.com.au/life-on-board/outstanding-service/special-needs/mobility/

We've travelled with scooter and wheelchair users a few times now and have never experienced issues obtaining an accessible room for those who required one.

As has been pointed out you are still breaching SOLAS regulations by abandoning your scooter in a public space. The crew have to clean the carpet and walls regularly so you are also inconveniencing them and it is possible that an individual could walk into or trip over your scooter, so my comments stand. I appreciate the challenges faced by wheelchair and scooter users, people reading this may well need one themselves at some point in the future but it's simply wrong to leave them in a public space.

To the OP, I don't know what the exact rules are for taking a scooter on a tender but common sense and a pragmatic approach would suggest that it is highly unlikely Celebrity or anyone else would want to take them on a tender. They can't guarantee the weather conditions and definitely will not want to risk damaging or dropping your scooter in the sea!

I'd also recommend researching ports and pick an itinerary with minimal or better still no tendering.

We have decided on the cruise and it only has one tender port which is Kotor in Montenegro. We have already spent a week land holiday there, so if I can’t get off it’s not a major issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I know that there are a few (very few) cruise ships with wheelchair accessible tenders but cannot find out which they are! This article shows one and explains how it is used, but does not mention which ship it belongs to :(

https://www.sagetraveling.com/cruise-tender-accessibility

Even then, everything is very dependent on weather conditions.

There was no problem taking my wheelchair on a P&O tender, but I realise a scooter is different.

I am not just 'Justifying' myself and what I have done. I was replying to a thread where it was mentioned several times by people about how some people leave scooters outside their actual rooms in the corridors therefore proving to be an obstruction to the staff trying to negotiate corridors with cleaning wagons, other mobility aid users etc etc.

Regarding "accessible" rooms I have clearly stated that in some people's and mine experience they have booked up extremely early. The person at Celebrity who I booked with also told me they book up very early! Of course that must be me making it up as I go along. Really Mynki I do not see why you have been so aggressive. Try saving it for the folks who block corridors!! If we want to get very technical re safety regulations try explaining to me and others using mobility aids why for Muster drills we are directed to using the lifts which would not be allowed in a real life emergency situation?

As I have said - the scooter is placed well to the back of the lobby - how thoughtless of me. The steward knows whose aid it is. Maybe instead of directing your accusations at me you might think of encouraging Celebrity to think of solutions so people who cannot manage to book an accessibility room can have some help. Have you ever actually tried to book an accessible room? If not then you can't comment. As I said I tried to get one well over a year from the sailing date !! I have also asked on previous cruises also - there has never been an available room !

We have decided on the cruise and it only has one tender port which is Kotor in Montenegro. We have already spent a week land holiday there, so if I can’t get off it’s not a major issue.

All good then. Enjoy your cruise.

I am not just 'Justifying' myself and what I have done. I was replying to a thread where it was mentioned several times by people about how some people leave scooters outside their actual rooms in the corridors therefore proving to be an obstruction to the staff trying to negotiate corridors with cleaning wagons,

But you then say you leave your scooter outside and if you didn't your steward would have issues cleaning your room. Justifying yourself....

Regarding "accessible" rooms I have clearly stated that in some people's and mine experience they have booked up extremely early. The person at Celebrity who I booked with also told me they book up very early! Of course that must be me making it up as I go along. Really Mynki I do not see why you have been so aggressive.

I'm not being aggrssive in the slightest. I'm merely responding to your post.

Try saving it for the folks who block corridors!! If we want to get very technical re safety regulations try explaining to me and others using mobility aids why for Muster drills we are directed to using the lifts which would not be allowed in a real life emergency situation?

The people who block the corridors are equally discourteous. The muster drill isn't in the least bit relevant. Another example of you trying to justify your inappropriate behaviour.

As I have said - the scooter is placed well to the back of the lobby -

Again not relevant. You've now ducked discussions regarding SOLAS regs and have avoided post 28 also where it states :-

"Assistive devices including mobility scooters must be stored and recharged in your stateroom so fire doors, corridors and elevator lobbies are kept clear for emergency evacuation. "

https://www.celebritycruises.com.au/life-on-board/outstanding-service/special-needs/mobility/

This narcissistic behaviour shows a blatant disregard for the rules, regs and other peoples safety.

how thoughtless of me. The steward knows whose aid it is. Maybe instead of directing your accusations at me you might think of encouraging Celebrity to think of solutions so people who cannot manage to book an accessibility room can have some help. Have you ever actually tried to book an accessible room? If not then you can't comment. As I said I tried to get one well over a year from the sailing date !! I have also asked on previous cruises also - there has never been an available room !

I have. As previously stated we've done group bookings involving a scooter user and it's me who arranges everything. If you were to search my historical posts you'd see that. Never had an issue booking an accessible room. I have however been unable to book my accommodation of choice due to no class of rooms I wanted being available, so I just booked another sailing.

Why do you think it's ok for you to flout the rules and put others peoples safety at risk? That's not me being aggressive, I'm genuinely interested in your answer.

Recently. on the Summit, I observed two scooters parked at an elevator lobby on deck 8.

I assumed that the people that used the scooters were directed by the staff to leave the scooters there.

I did not see any scooters parked in the corridors on deck 8 starboard as we often walked from aft to forward in that corridor.

I rang Celebrity UK and there are a couple of accessible cabins available on the cruise we are wishing to book, but I was told they are only available to passengers confined to wheelchair. That seems strange to me, anybody else come across this? Thanks

I rang Celebrity UK and there are a couple of accessible cabins available on the cruise we are wishing to book, but I was told they are only available to passengers confined to wheelchair. That seems strange to me, anybody else come across this? Thanks.

No experience but unfortunately not all UK based Celebrity staff are as knowledgeable as they should be. I believe that there is a special needs email address (sorry I do not know what it is but I am sure that someone on this board will speak up with it) and perhaps you could ask them what the policy is.

I rang Celebrity UK and there are a couple of accessible cabins available on the cruise we are wishing to book, but I was told they are only available to passengers confined to wheelchair. That seems strange to me, anybody else come across this? Thanks

Why does this seem strange to you? This is the way it should be, in my opinion. I have a severely disabled, wheelchair dependent friend who cannot make something else work unless a disabled cabin is not available. She needs the space for transfer equipment.

It really bothers me when it’s often very clear that someone WANTS a wheelchair accessible cabin but really doesn’t NEED it. And the bathroom shower HAS to leak because that’s how WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE bathrooms have to be. Of course everyone likes extra space but for some it’s absolutely necessary.

If you merely want extra space....buy it.

It is also discourteous to other passengers and crew.

Accessible rooms exist for a reason!

But there are so few "accessible" staterooms and they are all booked up immediately. We know. As far as scooters, my husband has booked a scooter for 3 past cruises and they do fit thru the cabin doorway. We booked thru special needs and they know what is needed. Now, on the S class it works great! Always book with the bed by the balcony. Yes, it does take up room but moving the small table worked for us and gave us the walking room around the scooter. We purchased an EZ Lite Cruiser chair for him and took it on Eclipse for our last cruise. PROBLEM!! As has been said, the doorways into the cabins do not open all the way and we had to fold it down to lug thru the cabin door every time. Now, when we were out during the day and only came back for a little while our cabin steward told us to leave it outside. Our cabins was near the cleaning closet so the chair was not in the passageway but I hated doing that. Yes, it was out of the way but still didn't like that it was even outside. We have been on ships where the entire passageway was crowded with chairs and scooters and it was awful! We do not get off in tender ports because of the walking issues but in the Caribbean it works great because 90% of the ports are walk-off and Bermuda is perfect.

We sail on Edge in January and our Infinite Stateroom invoice indicates handicapped accessible doorways (I presume wider) so that will work. As I said, it is next to impossible to find a handicapped stateroom on any of the Celebrity ships. I wish you luck and don't let this stop you from cruising. Just the idea of NOT cruising because of handicapped issues makes me cringe. We love the ships for themselves. Happy sailing!:cool::D

Pat C

I would call back, because this certainly doesn't sound like correct information. If needed, speak with a supervisor.

Why does this seem strange to you? This is the way it should be, in my opinion. I have a severely disabled, wheelchair dependent friend who cannot make something else work unless a disabled cabin is not available. She needs the space for transfer equipment.

It really bothers me when it’s often very clear that someone WANTS a wheelchair accessible cabin but really doesn’t NEED it. And the bathroom shower HAS to leak because that’s how WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE bathrooms have to be. Of course everyone likes extra space but for some it’s absolutely necessary.

If you merely want extra space....buy it.

Thank you very much for your extremely rude reply. I need to use the scooter because I have mobility issues. I also have other health issues, so as you do you know me or my circumstances you are not qualified to criticise others disabilities.

No experience but unfortunately not all UK based Celebrity staff are as knowledgeable as they should be. I believe that there is a special needs email address (sorry I do not know what it is but I am sure that someone on this board will speak up with it) and perhaps you could ask them what the policy is.

Thank you, I have already emailed them.

Thank you very much for your extremely rude reply. I need to use the scooter because I have mobility issues. I also have other health issues, so as you do you know me or my circumstances you are not qualified to criticise others disabilities.

My reply was not directed at you at all. Of course there are many reasons for needing an accessible cabin. My response was based on a number of other threads where people have indicated they want an accessible cabin for no other reason than that of extra space which I’m sure you agree, is wrong.

My reply was not directed at you at all. Of course there are many reasons for needing an accessible cabin. My response was based on a number of other threads where people have indicated they want an accessible cabin for no other reason than that of extra space which I’m sure you agree, is wrong.

In that case, I apologise, but I thought it was directed to me. I agree many people not needing them seem to book them. It’s a bit like people parking in disabled bays without disabled badges. Infuriates me.

In that case, I apologise, but I thought it was directed to me. I agree many people not needing them seem to book them. It’s a bit like people parking in disabled bays without disabled badges. Infuriates me.

I apologise too. When I read my response I can see how you interpreted that way but but I sincerely did not intend to disrespect you.

LondonTowner I can give you the direct number for a Celebrity personal cruise concierge if you want to discuss your requirements directly with Celebrity. We have used her for our last four cruises. She is very helpful. I do need to explain that neither my husband nor I have any special needs, so that has not been part of the service we have received from her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LondonTowner I can give you the direct number for a Celebrity personal cruise concierge if you want to discuss your requirements directly with Celebrity. We have used her for our last four cruises. She is very helpful. I do need to explain that neither my husband nor I have any special needs, so that has not been part of the service we have received from her.

That’s kind of you but I received an email from their Special Needs department and he has given me his direct number. By all accounts what I was told is incorrect, but is now saying that all accessible cabins sold out.

However, he did say I can take my scooter in any other cabin. I shall call him tomorrow.

That’s kind of you but I received an email from their Special Needs department and he has given me his direct number. By all accounts what I was told is incorrect, but is now saying that all accessible cabins sold out.

However, he did say I can take my scooter in any other cabin. I shall call him tomorrow.

I hope you enjoy a wonderful cruise.

This should be reported to Guest Services, because parking scooters in hallways is against SOLAS regulations, as they are a safety hazard in case of an emergency. Not to mention, not being polite to others who will not be able to navigate the hallways if they have walkers or scooters, but I guess some just don't care about others.

This was on the Equinox last month in front of one of the Penthouse Suites the whole cruise. Apparently their butler and room steward never said anything to the people...

b6aamu.jpg.355ead626e4be90d8c65e73fe470f833.jpg

I have repeatedly said that parking chairs, scooters etc in the corridors is unacceptable as it restricts the room for the staff and other users.

I note that other people have found,as have I, that accessible rooms are often booked up almost from the cruise being scheduled - as I only cruise in Europe maybe that is the case for those itineraries and not so much for other areas of the world. I can only go by what I have read from other people re the scarcity of accessible rooms and the Celebrity staff I have spoken to.

So my option is to cope with an ordinary stateroom and to be quite honest I have some difficulty for a start negotiating the scooter in and out of the room which is another reason why I select a room close to the forward elevator lobbies - where there is plenty of room... unlike the main bank of elevators midships. The scooter cannot be driven in through the doorway so it has to manhandled to get it in. It's a struggle! As a former driver of both horse boxes and minibuses I do not have a lack of driving or manoeuvring skills, it is just a fact that getting these scooters in and out of staterooms is a struggle!

Regarding the cabin staff..... as I have already said..... the scooter, my walker take up quite some room in the room and would make life more difficult for the steward. This isn't "justifying" it is stating the situation. Just having the walker and some crutches in the room needs managing. My condition has worsened quite considerably since I last cruised in June1017 and is a worry to me. My point about the muster drill was in answer to the H & S regulations being quoted - some H & S aspects seeming to be more important than others.

Hmmmm... my "narcissistic behaviour" isn't an example of you being aggressive then Mynki? I have remained polite throughout this discussion - I don't think the same could be said of you. In conclusion I have been directed to a point in the lobby by Celebrity staff and to be quite honest if they feel it is fine for me to do so, then I will.

This was on the Equinox last month in front of one of the Penthouse Suites the whole cruise. Apparently their butler and room steward never said anything to the people...
Obviously some just don't care about safety rules and regulations or other passengers.