Which ZOOM Package Do You Need with an Apple Watch?

Graymalkin

I'll be traveling on Harmony of the Seas Oct. 6-13, and I'll be bringing my iPhone and Apple Watch.

My question is: Do I need to sign up for a Zoom package for TWO devices? The Apple Watch's Wi-Fi connection can be turned off manually, but it automatically reconnects under certain circumstances: (1) Walk or drive to a new location, (2) Reset the watch, and (3) Automatically at 5 a.m. local time. If that happens, is RCL going to cut off my ZOOM access entirely because I violated the Terms of Service?

(3) Automatically at 5 a.m. local time. If that happens, is RCL going to cut off my ZOOM access entirely because I violated the Terms of Service?

What terms of service do you think you are violating? The automatic re-connection will bump the other device off if you get a one device package. Also, the filtering of internet traffic is such that on Harmony the info needed by the watch may get through without a package.

If you keep your phone with you then you only need a 1 device package as your watch connects with your phone via Bluetooth. If you want to leave your phone in your cabin then I believe that you would need a 2 device package as the watch would also require a wifi connection.

A little more searching, and I find this at Apple: "When your iPhone is off or out of range, your Apple Watch can use Wi-Fi networks. When you connect to one of these Wi-Fi networks, watchos4-wifi-status-bar-icon.png appears in Control Center. You can still do these things."

So apparently I can switch the iPhone off and the watch will still connect to Wi-Fi. So I might be able to get away with a 1-device plan. I guess I'll find out...

If you keep your phone with you then you only need a 1 device package as your watch connects with your phone via Bluetooth. If you want to leave your phone in your cabin then I believe that you would need a 2 device package as the watch would also require a wifi connection.

Still would only need a 1 device package. If the phone is in the room, it does not need to be on WiFi. The watch can connect and be the 1 device.

using just your watch without the phone nearby will not work-

there is no way to authorize the watch on the network since it does not have a browser-

it will try to connect but it will never get authorized.

I even tried having my watches MAC address whitelisted by the ships IT department and was told it was not possible, i ended up geting a refund for the voom package i purchased just for the watch.

To be clear, the 1 device package means one device at a time. You can connect many different devices, just not more than 1 at a time. I've had a couple of different experiences:

1. Device 1 is connected. Device 2 tries to connect but cannot until device 1 logs off (go to logoff.com). I think this is supposed to be the normal behavior.

2. Device 1 is connected. Device 2 tries to connect and automatically kicks off device 1.

I'm not sure how the phone and watch work together, but you won't be violating anything if you try to separately connect your watch via WiFi even if your phone is already connected. You just won't be able to connect both at the same time with a 1 device package.

• 6 months later...
On 9/23/2018 at 8:12 PM, proggieus said:

using just your watch without the phone nearby will not work-

there is no way to authorize the watch on the network since it does not have a browser-

it will try to connect but it will never get authorized.

I even tried having my watches MAC address whitelisted by the ships IT department and was told it was not possible, i ended up geting a refund for the voom package i purchased just for the watch.

Think this would work? https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/parrity/id1448208309?mt=8

Edited by bobabooey

1 hour ago, bobabooey said:

likely yes since all you need to do is hit the URL from the device you are trying to activate.

Edit 

after a second look it says

"Parrity is a Web Browser for Apple Watch.

It utilizes your paired iPhone to render rich web content and stream it to your watch where you can either interact with it live, or keep it cached for later."

so it may still need the phone to work.

Edited by proggieus