Here we are...

M&Mtime

25 days away, I have sailed before but I am most excited for this on as we are taking the kids on their first cruise. Better yet it is still a surprise. Here is what we have planned. Please le me know your thoughts and any thing I could do different.

We are taking them on the paradise out of Tampa. It is Veterans Day weekend so we will pack the car the night before. They don't have school so I have no worries there. We are going to tell them that the Aquarium (which is right next door to the port) is giving free admission to military. So we pack them up like we are going to the Aquarium. I drop the kids and wife off at aquarium go park the car, take luggage to porters, then go meet them with a letter that was typed by my wife saying that in honor of Veterans Day Carnival is giving free tours to military members and their family.

We then go to the terminal and I go to the counter first and hand the ticket lady a note explains the situation and hopefully she can play along. Once we get on board we plan on telling them. We have purchased FTTF so hopefully that will help.

Any other pointers?

First off, Thank You for serving and protecting us all. Thanks to your family for sacrificing their time with you.

This will be the best surprise ever! Since it is the Veterans. Day weekend, the story is perfect. When you get to the onboard photos, be sure to let them know this is a gift included with the tour package. Look around a little before going to the cabin. Don't forget to have a recorder going, even if it's just on your cellphone. The cutest videos ever have been when the parents have recorded the children's surprise when they find out. Have a wonderful cruise.

First, thank you for your service! I think that is a great surprise. Just have your wife distract the kids when you walk up to the counter. Hand her a deck of cards (maybe w/ a flag on them) and say they were given to the military and she can allow them to slip out of case and onto floor - the kids will be busy picking up the cards and you'll have all the time you need to talk to the ticket lady. They do have questions they have to ask you (security stuff) - so I think a distraction may be necessary. Who knows though... I definitely over plan things.

First, thank you for your service! I think that is a great surprise. Just have your wife distract the kids when you walk up to the counter. Hand her a deck of cards (maybe w/ a flag on them) and say they were given to the military and she can allow them to slip out of case and onto floor - the kids will be busy picking up the cards and you'll have all the time you need to talk to the ticket lady. They do have questions they have to ask you (security stuff) - so I think a distraction may be necessary. Who knows though... I definitely over plan things.

Yes good idea about the distraction. I just bout cabin decorations for our room. Once we get on I am going to take them straight to the room and tell them they are allowing us to use the bathroom in here until we get done with the tour, and when they walk in the room they will see the decorations and I will tell them...just have to get on the ship without them finding out.

Just getting them to the port w/out knowing is great! Every step beyond that is a bonus. It would be great if you could get them all the way to the room - but they will have to get their sign and sail cards, scan them, etc... so it is possible you won't make it all the way no matter how hard you try. Just go with the idea that success is defined as getting them to the port - and everything else is just icing so that you don't spend one minute of disappointment or "if only" on your cruise!

GREAT idea, and I too, thank you for your service.

You're gonna LOVE "Paradise", as even though I've done over115 total cruises, she's still one of my favorite ships.

I think the kids will "Buy" everything you've laid out, and just tell 'em that in order to gain admittance to the ship, you must have a photo I.D. (just like at the base) and since they've been through all that, they'll not question it at all.

I'll be aboard "Paradise" on November 21st, and December 9th. Sure wish I could be aboard to see the kids faces when they get aboard. :eek:

"SKY"

I'm going to go right against the grain here. There's a saying 'Anticipation is half of realization'. If you told your children about the cruise when you're packing the suitcases or a day or so prior, they would have a few days of great excitement and anticipation.

Just saying......

I love it! I hope it goes off without a hitch! (But even if the surprise is found out early, you still have the cruise to enjoy with each other.) If possible, have your wife recording everything so whenever they figure it out (or you tell them) you have it on tape.

Also, I would plan in advance with your wife what you will say if they ask, "Are we going on a cruise? Kids that age are very perceptive!

Have a wonderful time!

I'm going to go right against the grain here. There's a saying 'Anticipation is half of realization'. If you told your children about the cruise when you're packing the suitcases or a day or so prior, they would have a few days of great excitement and anticipation.

Just saying......

I was thinking along these lines too. Especially considering the ages of the kids involved. At 13 I would not have appreciated my parents packing my vacation bag for me.

Good luck op, let us know how it goes.

What a fun idea! I think I would let them in on the surprise when you drive up to the port. Between all the documents, security checkpoints, and getting your photo's done for the sign and sail card, I just don't think it's possible to keep it secret.

Good luck, I also like the idea of telling them a few days early so they can pack their own bags. You can't go wrong either way.

Great idea! I think your plans are right on. My kids are 2 and I planb in taking them on their first cruise next year for v their 3rd birthday. It will be a short get away but much needed. Lol. Enjoy your trip, take lots of pictures. Heart c idea for the disposable camera too.

Freedom is not free. God Bless You!! I'm thinking you might have to tell the oldest to help with the other 2. Buy a couple bags of balloons for them to blow up and decorate the room. Also, bring along some door decorations and some stick up putty so they can make the room their own. One more thought is walkie talkies- might come in handy. Have fun. Take pictures. Make memories. Relax.

I know some of you have suggested telling them a few days before so the oldest can help pack. Well here is why that I can't. My 13 year old has aspbergers and will could care less what she wears as long as it is not jeans and not tight. And if I told her before I hand that would consume her, she would be distracted from everything from eating to school to proper hygiene. She would not be able to focus on anything but the cruise, but if it is a suprise it will just take a minute to adjust her schedule/routine and all will be good.

Archived