Customs and Border Protection Traveling with Minor Children - Parent(s) not present

wemjam

This seems to have come up in quite a few posts recently, and I was curious because of all the advice rolling around (and I remember the days when we traveled with my step son and the paperwork we did to make sure we were covered).

Thought I would post this to help anyone unsure, and to avoid just relying on "advice" from others on cruise critic.

Carnival's website is vague, but it does say they do not take responsibility and it is up to travelers to have all the correct docs.

This is straight from the US Customs and Border Protection Website:

Can a minor under 18 years of age travel to another country without their parents?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child traveling with grandparents, uncles or aunts, sisters or brothers, friends, or in groups*, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission."See ourQ&A
parental consent.

Minors may be able to travel to another country without either one of their parents. They may however require a notarized written consent letter from both parents. Minors interested in traveling without their parents should contact the embassy to address admissibility questions.

While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful.

Hope this helps someone!

this is Carnival's statement which coincides with the CBT

Traveling with a Minor

When traveling with a minor where one parent or both parents or legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original signed letter from the absent parent(s) or legal guardians authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security.

this is Carnival's statement which coincides with the CBT
Agreed. Both "strongly recommend." The only difference being, Carnival doesn't go into detail about possibly being detained if CBP has any doubts. But Carnival does say it will expedite DHS processing, so I feel like they've covered their bases.