Cruisin solo, B2B cruises..

Alyssajones624

I’d say look at them...but don’t assume they’re cheaper. In my experience looking at the newer NCL ships coming to New Orleans, they aren’t. I just did a mock booking of the breakaway out of New Orleans the same week as my vista cruise out of Galveston. First off the studio rate for that cruise is only $29 cheaper than their inside rate. The total price for that studio cabin buried deep in the bowels of breakaway was $10 cheaper than my lido inside on vista...after I paid for grats on vista...so the actual rate is about $90 more on breakaway... and I got $50 OBC on vista...and I got a price drop on vista which bumps it to $80 OBC and I’m on lido deck in a regular sized room that has a real bathroom.
But that solo cabin on NCL came with an included perk, such as the drinks package, which saves you 450 over Cheers.

But that solo cabin on NCL came with an included perk, such as the drinks package, which saves you 450 over Cheers.

Maybe an exaggeration there. For 7 days of cheers with grats it would be $418. On vista you can only get 6 days of cheers which would be $358. Does the ultimate beverage package include gratutities? If not I don’t think it’s fair to add that into the carnival figure. That would take me down around $312 for my 6 days of cheers..which as I understand includes more types of drinks than NCL does. Let’s not forget I got the $90 cheaper rate and the $80 OBC. Take $170 off of the 312 and we’re at $152 less for a solo cabin with the shower in the room in the bowels of breakaway vs. a regular size cabin with a real bathroom and a king bed on lido deck of vista and a drink package that includes everything. There’s no way you can sell that as no solo supplement. It should be half the price with no supplement. I could book an upper/lower in the bowels of vista and save that money if I wanted to. I’m on vacation. I want a king bed on Lido.

Edited by Saint Greg

Don't know about the bowels of the Breakaway, but on the Escape, where I traveled solo once the solo cabins were on decks 10, 11 & 12. Comparing rates of the different lines all depends upon the time of year you're cruising and which ships you're comparing. A newer ship from one line will usually be higher in price because of supply and demand. When it comes to pricing, Carnival is usually cheaper compared to RCI and NCL, but when you factor in the perks, many times NCL is a better value, but as usual, YMMV depending upon which ships you're comparing and when you're cruising.

At least RCI, NCL and Celebrity are acknowledging that the solo cruiser market is a viable sub section by building staterooms specifically for solos, which at this point is something that Carnival does not do. I can hypothesize that it may change with the LNG class ships, but who knows.

I’d say look at them...but don’t assume they’re cheaper. In my experience looking at the newer NCL ships coming to New Orleans, they aren’t. I just did a mock booking of the breakaway out of New Orleans the same week as my vista cruise out of Galveston. First off the studio rate for that cruise is only $29 cheaper than their inside rate. The total price for that studio cabin buried deep in the bowels of breakaway was $10 cheaper than my lido inside on vista...after I paid for grats on vista...so the actual rate is about $90 more on breakaway... and I got $50 OBC on vista...and I got a price drop on vista which bumps it to $80 OBC and I’m on lido deck in a regular sized room that has a real bathroom.
If you're going to do a proper comparison, it needs to be on ships that are similar embarking from the same port, otherwise the comparison is totally moot. You can't compare a cruise from Galveston versus one from New Orleans because pricing is usually going to be higher on those ships that embark from a port that has less competition. Over the next six months, there are only TWO ships that embark from New Orleans, the Dream and the Triumph, whereas there are FIVE that embark from Galveston. Liberty of the Seas, Disney Wonder, Valor, Freedom, and Breeze/Vista. Because of this, the two ships from New Orleans will usually be higher if you're doing a similar ship to ship comparison. Obviously the Disney ship will be the highest just because it's Disney.

Hi everyone!

I feel in love with cruising back in 2004 but since I have only been able to do 4 cruises. Mostly because I am a single girl (30) in Miami (NEAR THE PORT) and can't find people to commit. I am so sad to see people constantly posting about their upcoming trips. So I am wanting to know if there is anyone, or anyone who has advice on cruising solo? I am a social person but I do not like to intrude if I see a group of people. Am I going to feel left out or alone?

I'm in the same boat as you - around the same age, I really enjoy cruising, but my friends are either not interested, don't have the time to take off work, or don't want to spend the money. So many friends in weddings haha. SO I just bit the bullet and booked myself my first solo cruise on the Carnival Victory in October. Since it's my first time travelling solo, I like that it's going to ports I've already been to. Just adds a level of comfort because of the familiarity.

I chose the Carnival cruise over other lines like NCL for a few reasons. I looked at cruises on the newer NCL ships with the studio cabins, but the price just wasn't worth it - we're talking about double what I'm paying for an oceanview cabin, and the perks/promotions just weren't worth it to me. And, the dates and itinerary of the cruise I chose just work better for me.

I am also a little nervous about joining in, I'm not very outgoing, but I can have a conversation with anyone. I also read elsewhere on these boards that Carnival seems to do a fair job of seating you with other travelers in similar situations when you choose a fixed dining time, so that's what I did. I'm a firm believer that you should try anything once (within reason of course!). If I don't enjoy myself, then I'll know, and I won't do it again.

If you're going to do a proper comparison, it needs to be on ships that are similar embarking from the same port, otherwise the comparison is totally moot. You can't compare a cruise from Galveston versus one from New Orleans because pricing is usually going to be higher on those ships that embark from a port that has less competition. Over the next six months, there are only TWO ships that embark from New Orleans, the Dream and the Triumph, whereas there are FIVE that embark from Galveston. Liberty of the Seas, Disney Wonder, Valor, Freedom, and Breeze/Vista. Because of this, the two ships from New Orleans will usually be higher if you're doing a similar ship to ship comparison. Obviously the Disney ship will be the highest just because it's Disney.

You clearly know nothing about Galveston and New Orleans. It’s more expensive to cruise out of Galveston than it is New Orleans. You know why? There are more people in Houston than there are in the entire state of Louisiana...and they have more money. Texas is a big darn state and most of them sail out of Galveston. That’s why they’re going to have Vista, Dream, and Freedom there.

But if you want to compare breakaway to Dream out of New Orleans, I’d be glad to do it. My August Dream Cruise is $300 less than my February Vista Cruise.

Edited by Saint Greg

Don't know about the bowels of the Breakaway, but on the Escape, where I traveled solo once the solo cabins were on decks 10, 11 & 12. Comparing rates of the different lines all depends upon the time of year you're cruising and which ships you're comparing. A newer ship from one line will usually be higher in price because of supply and demand. When it comes to pricing, Carnival is usually cheaper compared to RCI and NCL, but when you factor in the perks, many times NCL is a better value, but as usual, YMMV depending upon which ships you're comparing and when you're cruising.

At least RCI, NCL and Celebrity are acknowledging that the solo cruiser market is a viable sub section by building staterooms specifically for solos, which at this point is something that Carnival does not do. I can hypothesize that it may change with the LNG class ships, but who knows.

It’s 10 and 11 which sounds good when you’re used to lido deck being 9 or 10...but lido is deck 15 on Breakaway...I’m on Lido deck on vista...I would be 4-5 decks below lido deck on breakaway. That’s the bowels of the ship to me.

They can build solo rooms all they want. If they aren’t any cheaper, all they’re doing is giving me a smaller room in a worse location. No thanks.

I often see ncl with no solo supplement out of miami, but i live in texas. It would cost me the whole amt of the supplement to get there.

I mostly cruise solo, hard to find someone else who wants to go. I gave up, my pvp said they never have no solo supplements, so i booked a 7 day paying double, ... lol the very next week i found a rcl cruise without a big supplement cheaper (didnt go to great ports but oh well and a 14 day carnival once a year cruise out of galveston no solo supplement, both of which overlapped what i booked.

so there are some out there, just uncommon. more will show up this fall, this is prime booking season, prices will be high. I am sitting on my hands and once into final payment, there will be better deals for solos, there were last year.

good to know so many other solo cruisers, hi there.

lolol, i second the above.

The reason there are more ships out of Galveston than New Orleans is because there are more people wanting to cruise out of there.

its 10 hours to New orleand and 5 to galveston for me. I have done the drive to new orleans.... ONLY because its often $100 or $300 cheaper to cruise out of New Orleans.

Hotels are more expensive and i add in the extra gas to figure out which is the better deal.

Galveston cruises are almost always more expensive than New Orleans. agree with the above cruise, you must not live in Texas to think New Orleans is the more expensive, or cruise much, one or the other.

lolol, i second the above.

The reason there are more ships out of Galveston than New Orleans is because there are more people wanting to cruise out of there.

its 10 hours to New orleand and 5 to galveston for me. I have done the drive to new orleans.... ONLY because its often $100 or $300 cheaper to cruise out of New Orleans.

Hotels are more expensive and i add in the extra gas to figure out which is the better deal.

Galveston cruises are almost always more expensive than New Orleans. agree with the above cruise, you must not live in Texas to think New Orleans is the more expensive, or cruise much, one or the other.

True when it comes to carnival vs. carnival. As I said my Dream Cruise is $300 less than my Vista Cruise. But I can cruise Vista out of Galveston for the same or cheaper than Breakaway out of New Orleans. The February Breakaway Cruise out of New Orleans is $500 more than a Dream Cruise the same week.

0fce8d7665be41613dd42728cbb80796.jpg

f1a43864c85abb8ddb5f62e5573e1a18.jpg

Edited by Saint Greg

Im not sure what posting one cruise proves either way. I can do Getaway I think it is out of miami without a solo supplement, but have to fly in.

Over the approx 100 cruises I have over the last years, i agree with the guy who posted USUALLY cheaper out of new orleans, if you find a better deal out of Galveston, i grab it.

NCL doesnt even cruise anymore out of Galveston, so hard to compare, but Im not surprised it costs more than carnival.

miami is a market with too many ships i guess, and usually only out of florida can i find solo deals with no supplements. If i can find one out of galveston or new orleans, im going to grab it.

but ill put up my experience against yours and see which of us has more, plus i actually live in texas, so i watch galveston almost exclusively. so i know galveston pretty well. But you can argue yes one cruise on ncl is more expensive. ok .... always exceptions.

Im not sure what posting one cruise proves either way. I can do Getaway I think it is out of miami without a solo supplement, but have to fly in.

Over the approx 100 cruises I have over the last years, i agree with the guy who posted USUALLY cheaper out of new orleans, if you find a better deal out of Galveston, i grab it.

NCL doesnt even cruise anymore out of Galveston, so hard to compare, but Im not surprised it costs more than carnival.

miami is a market with too many ships i guess, and usually only out of florida can i find solo deals with no supplements. If i can find one out of galveston or new orleans, im going to grab it.

but ill put up my experience against yours and see which of us has more, plus i actually live in texas, so i watch galveston almost exclusively. so i know galveston pretty well. But you can argue yes one cruise on ncl is more expensive. ok .... always exceptions.

Just for fun I thought I’d price Miami for the same week. I also did the week before since since CCL was going east while NCL was going west on the 24th.

2cf53cccf8698e07f3e9c110822d13e2.jpg

9f2e66f97a7fc05512b53324f212c61f.jpg

66d2fa80ad711b101b38a259ec620a85.jpg

e56eb53c521ce1d4e1a3d6e7cea3d307.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You clearly know nothing about Galveston and New Orleans.

You're correct in that assumption. I have cruised once out of LA for a Mexican Riviera cruise and my other 30 have all been from the East Coast. The cruises out of Norfolk, Charleston and Baltimore are always higher priced than comparable ships in other east coast embarkation ports because of supply and demand. Those cruisers that can drive to the port will pay the higher premium because they don't have to fly. I assumed incorrectly that the same supply and demand would work with New Orleans and Galveston. Doesn't bother me one way or another, I can't get cheap air there, so I will never cruise out of either port. None of the cruise lines ever put one of their new ships to sail out of those ports first anyway. It's either Miami, Fort Lauderdale or NYC, the three ports I have sailed from 28 times.

Not live in Texas is correct...cruise much, well 31 and counting is substantial compared to many on here and laughable compared to others. Don't have the luxury of living in FLA and being retired.

True when it comes to carnival vs. carnival. As I said my Dream Cruise is $300 less than my Vista Cruise. But I can cruise Vista out of Galveston for the same or cheaper than Breakaway out of New Orleans. The February Breakaway Cruise out of New Orleans is $500 more than a Dream Cruise the same week.

Just for fun I thought I’d price Miami for the same week. I also did the week before since since CCL was going east while NCL was going west on the 24th.

In your first comparison, NCL would be about 65 more @ 1504 versus 1439. In your second comparison, Carnival is 144 more @ 1559 versus 1415 and in your third comparison, Carnival is 191 more @ 1626 versus 1435. And all of your Carnival cabins are down on the main deck, which is the bowels of the ship that you despise so much. So if you made that first Carnival cruise to a higher location that would be more comparable to the solo location on NCL, then Carnival could and probably would be higher.

In case you're wondering why the Carnival numbers were all increased by $418.00, that is what Cheers costs for a 7 day cruise pre-paid including gratuities. (51.95 + 15% x 7) This has to be included in your side by side comparison since the NCL drink package is included as a perk and the 124.60 for gratuities is already included in your comparison.

The bottom line is that you need to compare an apple to an apple with the same amenities, similar ships and same or very close embarkation ports (NYC/Bayonne or MIA/FLL) in order for it to be a true comparison.

You're correct in that assumption. I have cruised once out of LA for a Mexican Riviera cruise and my other 30 have all been from the East Coast. The cruises out of Norfolk, Charleston and Baltimore are always higher priced than comparable ships in other east coast embarkation ports because of supply and demand. Those cruisers that can drive to the port will pay the higher premium because they don't have to fly. I assumed incorrectly that the same supply and demand would work with New Orleans and Galveston. Doesn't bother me one way or another, I can't get cheap air there, so I will never cruise out of either port. None of the cruise lines ever put one of their new ships to sail out of those ports first anyway. It's either Miami, Fort Lauderdale or NYC, the three ports I have sailed from 28 times.

Not live in Texas is correct...cruise much, well 31 and counting is substantial compared to many on here and laughable compared to others. Don't have the luxury of living in FLA and being retired.

I always cruise out of Florida, and never realized that these smaller ports would cost more. I recently priced a cruise out of Galveston, as we were flying into Dallas from Buffalo for a graduation, and thought we could scoot over to Galveston and grab a cruise before flying home. I was literally shocked at the price on the Liberty of the Seas for June! I had previously priced this cruise for a cruise in 2020,and it was much cheaper! And this was for June—-not even “high season”!! It was actually over $1000 pp for an inside cabin in June, as opposed to $499 in March 2020 for the same cabin!! Crazy!!