Celebrity Cruises Partners with Canyon Ranch on New Fitness Class Program

LauraS

• 3 months later...

Hi peeps,

Could someone please point me in the right direction on how/where to book the fitness classes upfront. We will be on the Celebrity Silhouette in Jan 2019. Many thanks :-)

All Celebrity ships which would include Edge. Some were hoping Canyon Ranch would be gone on Edge.
I remember someone posting that they were in the know and that the Edge would go back to Steiner. I guess they got incorrect information.

All Celebrity ships which would include Edge. Some were hoping Canyon Ranch would be gone on Edge.

Note that thread started in April 2018....

It has been announced that Canyon Ranch is not running the Spa or Persian Gardens on Edge...it's a new entity...seems with connection somehow to Steiner. I'm already booked!

As for the fitness classes, nothing mentioned about that for EDGE.

Free seminars have always been not so diguised sales pitches.,.,..doubt that will change, We do not take classes,,,just use the machines/ weights, But for those wanting classes, hope these are high level with Certified Instructors.,,.would be a plus!

Good to hear - I took Pilates and Zumba on our Silhouette cruise in March and they were incredibly lame and not worth the cost.

I agree . They usually have one person who conducts classes and does not have proper training. They may have one thing they are very good at. I almost walked out of both a pilates and a yoga. I couldn't bear to watch others who had no clue about proper positions for moves . I was afraid people would get hurt

After digesting the announcement about Canyon Ranch's revamping of fitness classes, I'm wondering if they intend to continue to offer their traditional "Yoga" and Pilates classes. If so, did I miss that in the announcement? Pilates to boppy music might be more fun, but no doubt, less disciplined. True, the level of Yoga/Pilates instruction can be hit or miss, but I find that Canyon Ranch teachers are usually far more qualified than the previous Steiner crop. And for me, even a mediocre class is better than none at all. Having said that, I have walked out on truly awful instructors!

Now I'm concerned. Is morning Yoga going to be replaced with "acupuncture" or "meditation" or some other cash cow that doesn't interest me? Furthermore, have they finally found a way to get rid of the last few complimentary classes? That would be the 30 minute early morning Stretch and/or "Abs" conditioning classes. Usually a staple on most cruises. Now that they've trained us to pay for "specialized" classes, are they going to go whole hog and charge for everything?

Perhaps I'm overreacting here, but I'm seeing red flags. Thoughts?

Ali-b,

You asked about signing up for classes. Unless there's been a change, you sign up while onboard. After boarding, head up to the gym. There will be a table with class sign up sheets. On departure day, one of the fitness instructors might be on hand to answer your questions. Depending on the cruise, there will also be a printed class schedule.

There's also usually a photo and a bio of the instructors. Reading from their fitness/sports background, you'll get a good idea as to how proficient they'll be at teaching yoga/pilates. Ask them as well about their training; sometimes I'm surprised, and in a good way. Ask also, if there's a package for a certain number of specialized classes. You can save a few bucks.

Do sign up, early morning classes can be busy. You'll want to guarantee a spot. But it's not a money commitment, and no harm if you don't show up. Payment is made at the end of the class. Your seapass card will be used; your onboard account will show the cost of the class and a tip. (Just like ordering a drink.)

Hopefully the announced changes won't impact the enjoyment of your fitness regimen. Happy sailing!