Your Time Dining -- what is the downside?

J_Viggy

Did our first alone, ATD. Asked for table for 2 every night, had wait every night up to 45 minutes. Not sure we liked the wait every night. 2nd week, did traditional early with family. First time for early dining and we liked it. Had time to do stuff in evening. Also liked the relationship established with dining staff. Probably would go back to ATD if alone, otherwise no.

We did the YTD on our last cruise and did not like it. First problem was the wait. There was always a long line to wait in just to get to dining room. Then If you wanted a table for 2 there was always about a 20 min wait. When we went with our family of 4 there was never a wait but we had a toddler and a baby and we had to wait for a high chair each evening where when we did traditional dining the high chair was already waiting for us when we got there. Our wait staff go to know us and would have crayons and paper ready along with milk for both of my little ones. I like that we got to know our wait staff and they knew us. We definitely will be going back to traditional.

I'm currently booked for anytime, but the other two options are still available so I could change it. I'm also considering getting FTTF, and I see that there is some priority seating deal, which I assume I wouldn't get that perk if I keep anytime dining. Right? How does that work if you know?

thanks

We've always done traditional, but the things that I enjoy about it ensures that I will probably never try YTD. We've been on 4 cruises, and every time we have had some wonderful people at our table, some that we've communicated with after the cruise. We also enjoy getting to know the wait staff, and there's something to be said about being expected to the point that your drink is waiting on you when you arrive--I like that! We like the later seating as we don't like to be rushed after coming back from excursions. I like to think because we're flexible people we tend to gel with a lot of types of people, and we learn things from the people we sit with. I would be disappointed if Carnival did away with the traditional dining times, we always look forward to dinner.

I'm currently booked for anytime, but the other two options are still available so I could change it. I'm also considering getting FTTF, and I see that there is some priority seating deal, which I assume I wouldn't get that perk if I keep anytime dining. Right? How does that work if you know?

thanks

No. That perk gives you priority as to what type of dining you want (early, late, or ATD) but no benefit once you have chosen.

Hi!

We are going on our first cruise and I chose Your Time Dining, because I couldn't think of any reason NOT to chose that. This way we can go eat dinner when it works for us and not be tied down to a certain time, right?

So my question is, why does anyone NOT chose this? Is there a benefit to chosing early or late that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Hi J Viggy :)

No downsides for my wife and myself in regards to Carnivals

'your time dining'. No matter what cruise line we are traveling

we choose 'your/any/my time' dining for the flexibility.

Also, we only cruise back to back voyages, 'your/any/my time'

dining allows us to 'waiter shop', so to speak. After we find a

waitstaff team we like, we then request them for the rest of the

voyage.

:)

No. That perk gives you priority as to what type of dining you want (early, late, or ATD) but no benefit once you have chosen.

This makes no sense to me. You select which type of dining you want when you book, but purchase FTTF after. How is FTTF helping with selecting early, late or ATD???:confused::confused:

Anytime (a.k.a. Freestyle) Dining works well on NCL vessels, but sucks on CCL. We tried it once, and will never do it again. We experienced longer waits, unimpressionable wait staff, and waiters who seemed to be brand new (or just didn't care as much as your everyday waiter). If you want 'anytime' dining on CCL, I suggest going to the Lido buffet. icon12.gif

Edited by RMcoolX

I honestly love it. I don't like having the strict dining time because we like to go to the dining room every night, but not necessarily the same time. I've never had to wait longer than 15 minutes for a table, and the service is always great and personal despite having different waiters every night. I like having different waiters, you get to meet more people and learn more stories. I personally think that early seating is too early and late seating is just too late. I'm not hungry at 5 and I'm falling asleep at the table at 8. YTD is great. I find no negatives.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This makes no sense to me. You select which type of dining you want when you book, but purchase FTTF after. How is FTTF helping with selecting early, late or ATD???:confused::confused:

Not everyone gets the dining they want on the first day you can go to the maître d and request a change. FTTF and platinum ( I think ) get priority. Diamond (I think) gets a guaranteed.

Not everyone gets the dining they want on the first day you can go to the maître d and request a change. FTTF and platinum ( I think ) get priority. Diamond (I think) gets a guaranteed.

Ah, ok, so it just puts you higher up on the waiting list if you didn't get your first choice to begin with. Got it. Thanks!

ATD is like the "Girl with the Curl". When it's good, it's very, very good. When it's bad, it's horrid!

We've been doing ATD on Carnival since the beginning. Like most, rarely had long waiting times, even rarer to get the dreaded beeper. The few times that we did we went at the witching hour of 7pm, especially on CE night.

Just off the first cruise of the Imagination on the West Coast and ATD was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!

Every night the line went out the MDR, past the Piano Bar and usually ending between the Atrium elevators. One night it was almost to the Library. The first night we saw the long line at 6 and decided to wait a bit. There was still a line at 7:30. 30 minutes to get a beeper then another to 30 for a table. The Piano Guy joked that you could only be here if you had a beeper. When we left around 9pm there was still a line.

No idea what the problem was and never experienced anything like it before on other ships. Hopefully our cruise was an abberration and not how the Imagination always is.

Edited by SadieN

When choosing, consult your family.

On our recent cruise I tried to get an opinion out of my husband and 19 year old daughter ahead of time, but no one would pay attention. I signed up for Your Time Dining thinking it would be convenient.

Well my husband and daughter nearly threw a fit the first night when they figured out what we were doing. Little did I know how much they liked having the same waiters and seeing the same people every night for dinner.

We were able to put in a request to be switched to a fixed mealtime starting the 2nd night and we got along fine after that. But it might have ruined dinner time for me for the entire week had we not been able to change and I would have been the bad guy for making such a dumb choice. I barely escaped being the worst vacation planner, travel agent, trip organizer, etc, ever.

Fttf doesn't have anything to do with dining. Boarding and priority tender only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fttf doesn't have anything to do with dining. Boarding and priority tender only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, according to the carnival website's description of FTTF it has SOMETHING to do with dining:

CARNIVAL’S FASTER TO THE FUN PACKAGE:

BOOK IT TODAY TO JUMPSTART THE FUN

Here's what it includes:

(Note: VIFP Club Platinum and Diamond members do not need to purchase this package as these and other benefits are included as part of your VIFP Club status.)

Priority Check-in with Express Boarding

The quicker you board the ship, the quicker you're holding a frosty drink.

Guaranteed Stateroom

Your stateroom will be ready as soon as you board, so you can relax or freshen up for the fun you're about to have.

Express Luggage

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and get settled in for a great vacation!

Guest Services

You'll have a dedicated phone number and line at Guest Services so you can quickly have your questions answered.

Dining Reservations

Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations (excluding Your Time Dining).

Tender Priority

You will have the option to choose a priority tender from the ship to shore (multiple departure times may be possible), so you can explore ashore as quickly as you would like.

Debarkation

We're always sad to see you go. But when your cruise is over, you may choose an early or late disembarkation time upon arrival to your homeport.

Well, according to the carnival website's description of FTTF it has SOMETHING to do with dining:

Dining Reservations

Priority Main Dining Room and Specialty Restaurant reservations (excluding Your Time Dining).

This means that when assigning the MDR dining times you are put near the top of the request list after Guaranteed Diamond and Priority Platinim pax.

Everyone still waits in the same line to be seated at dinner.

No downside for me.

I tried anytime dining on my last cruise on the Freedom. Even though I cruised solo, I wanted to try it, and was not worried about dining alone or being seated with others. I just had to try it once.

Turns out the first evening I was seated at a two top (solo), and that was fine. But I had one of the most amazing wait staff teams ever. Rolando, and his team were sooo attentive and treated me like royalty, so next night I asked for them again, and all but one night of my 8 day cruise was seated in the area of this great wait staff team.

As I noted above, I was solo this cruise, and am somewhat introverted and was not concered about dining alone, yet I am also friendly and enjoy to talk to others. With only one exception, on this cruise the people at the tables beside me were very friendly and talkative and some nights the same people were seated next to me, and it was almost like set time dining, except I had the flexibility of arriving when I wanted.

I did actually always arrive between opening time 5.45pm and 6.30 pm, and never had a problem getting the same wait staff, and also never had a wait.

I have chosen anytime again for my next cruise this coming Nov.:)

No downside to anytime for me.

We might be in the minority but we dont like My Time Dining.

We didn't enjoy it at all on the Magic. Way too cramped, the servers were obviously very green and we had to wait a bit for a table. In a group it'd probably be better but as a couple I won't do it again.

Tried ATD for the first time last month, for us it worked. We normally skip the MDR on 2-3 nights, so this way we dont have to spend time letting the staff know we won't be there.

Only on the 1st formal night was there a long line, even then we were seated within 20-25 minutes. We had a different wait staff each night, all were nice and efficient. One waiter was really rushing around, I felt bad of him.