Hotel in Ft Lauderdale opinion or rating

bananawindnj

Has anyone stayed at the Dania Studio apts in Dania beach, or the Fortuna hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. either pre or post cruise? Would like your opinion. one way or another. These are reasonable priced, so there may be a catch.

We only need it for one night, in between cruises.

Thanks,

Lots of "Dania Studio(s)" available for nightly rentals on the various booking engines. You might want to specify the address but I wouldn't recommend staying in any of the residential neighborhoods in that area. Or even a chain near Federal Hwy unless arriving from a very late flight and bolting yourself in the room as soon as you arrive.

The Fortuna Hotel is asked about semi-regularly on this board and is rated fairly decently on the well know hotel booking sites. But without a webpage of their own there is no way to know if the amenities commented on in those reviews are actually promised in writing by the proprietors. A case of book at your own risk.

Lots of "Dania Studio(s)" available for nightly rentals on the various booking engines. You might want to specify the address but I wouldn't recommend staying in any of the residential neighborhoods in that area. Or even a chain near Federal Hwy unless arriving from a very late flight and bolting yourself in the room as soon as you arrive.

The Fortuna Hotel is asked about semi-regularly on this board and is rated fairly decently on the well know hotel booking sites. But without a webpage of their own there is no way to know if the amenities commented on in those reviews are actually promised in writing by the proprietors. A case of book at your own risk.

Thanks for the info about Dania studios. I thought it might have been in a "dicey" area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

what constitutes a "dicey" area vs a safe area of FLL? Many years ago we booked a room at what seemed like a nice hotel at a good price. there was nowhere to eat around it, and when we asked if we could keep some of our belongings in the back of our car overnight, the desk clerk said "ummmm, I sure wouldn't" . Hmmm....now we are more careful but haven't been to FLL in a long time so I can't remember what areas are safe and which are not. Any help greatly appreciated.

what constitutes a "dicey" area vs a safe area of FLL? Many years ago we booked a room at what seemed like a nice hotel at a good price. there was nowhere to eat around it, and when we asked if we could keep some of our belongings in the back of our car overnight, the desk clerk said "ummmm, I sure wouldn't" . Hmmm....now we are more careful but haven't been to FLL in a long time so I can't remember what areas are safe and which are not. Any help greatly appreciated.

In Fort Lauderdale itself, the beach, Las Olas area, and the 17th Street area near the port would all be considered 'safe' but I would never, ever leave stuff in the back of our car overnight anyplace, anywhere. That's just an invitation to anyone passing by and why hotel garages and parking lots often have warning signs saying they aren't responsible for articles left in vehicles. I'm sure the desk clerk (and management) didn't want to assume any responsibility should he/she say "sure" and then have your car broken into.

Like many others, looking for the best hotel package that includes FLL airport pick up and next day transportation to cruise port.

Problem last time I stayed in FLL overnight is the hotel offered extra fee cruise port transfer took about 2 hours to finally get to my dock for Holland America, as it had to stop drop off and get the baggage for about five other cruise line ships first. That was not a $10 bargain.

Any insights how to avoid this - I see Rodeway offers its own fleet of smaller shuttles and not a contract agency that goes all over the place. Anyone with experience with Rodeway shuttles both ways - from the airport and to the cruise port?

Thanks.

Like many others, looking for the best hotel package that includes FLL airport pick up and next day transportation to cruise port.

Problem last time I stayed in FLL overnight is the hotel offered extra fee cruise port transfer took about 2 hours to finally get to my dock for Holland America, as it had to stop drop off and get the baggage for about five other cruise line ships first. That was not a $10 bargain.

Any insights how to avoid this - I see Rodeway offers its own fleet of smaller shuttles and not a contract agency that goes all over the place. Anyone with experience with Rodeway shuttles both ways - from the airport and to the cruise port?

Thanks.

A $10 per person shuttle is not a bargain in Fort Lauderdale. The taxi fare from most 17th Street hotels is about that price total (not per person) and you are taken directly to the pier. Uber and Lyft are even cheaper. The airport is also within sight of both the port and the 17th Street hotels so I wouldn't make a free airport to hotel shuttle a criteria. Compare prices of hotels with a free shuttle and those without a shuttle (or that charge for a shuttle).

A $10 per person shuttle is not a bargain in Fort Lauderdale. The taxi fare from most 17th Street hotels is about that price total (not per person) and you are taken directly to the pier. Uber and Lyft are even cheaper. The airport is also within sight of both the port and the 17th Street hotels so I wouldn't make a free airport to hotel shuttle a criteria. Compare prices of hotels with a free shuttle and those without a shuttle (or that charge for a shuttle).

Thanks, helpful information.

In Fort Lauderdale itself, the beach, Las Olas area, and the 17th Street area near the port would all be considered 'safe' but I would never, ever leave stuff in the back of our car overnight anyplace, anywhere. That's just an invitation to anyone passing by and why hotel garages and parking lots often have warning signs saying they aren't responsible for articles left in vehicles. I'm sure the desk clerk (and management) didn't want to assume any responsibility should he/she say "sure" and then have your car broken into.

Well, so true for not leaving things in the car....and thanks for the location info...that helps!

Thanks.

We did Rodeway two years ago. Airport shuttle was Rodeway.

Cruise port transportation was an independent company? Both were fine. I am the OP, but Rodeway was too expensive for next Feb, 2019

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks.

Forget hotels that offer "free" shuttles - stay at a hotel that meets your needs/budget and then use a taxi or Uber or Lyft to get to the port and to FLL or back to your car after your cruise.

Again depending on dates and budget, we stay at the Pier 66, even though its no longer a "branded" hotel, its still maintains its ambiance and is clean. They do have a booking of "cruise and snooze" if you desire. We did that in February, it includes welcome drinks, buffet breakfasts and shuttle to pier. If you break it down, the prices of the drinks are say $15, buffet $30 and shuttle $20 take that off the rate and gives you a good idea of the price of the room, where you can decide if the room price or the package is a good deal for you. Next time we are opting just for the room because we are not going to be around the hotel property much.

I always stay at the Embassy Suites in FLL if it isn't fully booked. It's a very good, although older, hotel with a balcony attached. They have a happy hour each evening and an excellent breakfast included in the room price. It is next to a nice shopping center with a Publix grocery store and a liquor warehouse, as well as a discount store, and several nice, reasonably priced restaurants. Taxis to the airport or cruise port are quite reasonable. I don't take the cruise bus shuttle any more.