Scrambled Eggs on Royal?

MrsEmmaPeel

So we're just back from a cruise on the Royal Princess, and had a question whose answer I may (in retrospect) be sorry to have. But I have to ask. I assume it is some piece of foodservice food science, but the scrambled eggs in the Horizon Court every morning were almost unfathomably fluffy, and extremely consistent. Some in our crew found that "fine", while others _loved_ them.

Does anyone know the method and sources Princess uses for their scrambled eggs in the Horizon Court? I'm assuming some form of bulk, pasteurized eggs as a starting point, but does anyone know the method/equipment used? I'm interested both from the PoV of recreating them and also purely out of engineering interest...

I ask because in other foodservice cases (US-based Hotels) I have NOT seen scrambled eggs be this fluffy or this consistent.

As you suggest, it is "pasteurized egg product" or liquid eggs from a gallon jug. I surmise from my experience on the ships that they use a large floor mixer to whip air into the eggs, then bake them rather than cook them on a flat top. Also, keeping them on the steam line as short a time as possible is also key. The reason most scrambled eggs on buffet lines get "solid" and have water running from them is not because they are powdered eggs as most think, but because the eggs were cooked at too high a temperature, too quickly. Baking alleviates the hot temperature in contact with the flat top. I can't speak for Princess specifically, but this has been my experience.

Indeed - most of the issues I see on foodservice lines are either initial overcooking or else failure to monitor steam tray temps. And of course, if you're not going to monitor your tray temps but want to keep the health dept happy, you'll keep those steam trays _HOT_. Good for keeping it out of "the zone", but horrible for keeping eggs tasty.

Using a Hobart or such to whip air into the eggs and baking them at a low temp do seem extremely plausible methods. Something a home cook would not likely consider for 4 servings, but much more efficient for hundreds of servings.

Thanks! I love that on CC, we can find cruisers with experience in everything from foodservice to satellite communications, joined by a love of maximizing cruise experience.

Indeed - most of the issues I see on foodservice lines are either initial overcooking or else failure to monitor steam tray temps. And of course, if you're not going to monitor your tray temps but want to keep the health dept happy, you'll keep those steam trays _HOT_. Good for keeping it out of "the zone", but horrible for keeping eggs tasty.

Using a Hobart or such to whip air into the eggs and baking them at a low temp do seem extremely plausible methods. Something a home cook would not likely consider for 4 servings, but much more efficient for hundreds of servings.

Thanks! I love that on CC, we can find cruisers with experience in everything from foodservice to satellite communications, joined by a love of maximizing cruise experience.

Just as a note, once an item goes on the steam table, since there is no way to monitor temperature, it has gone off "temperature control", and is now on "time control", meaning it must be disposed of within 4 hours, which is why you see small round colored dot tags on the pans, telling the crew when to get rid of it, used up or not.

It is interesting to hear a GOOD review on the scrambled eggs on a cruise! Especially with all of the vehement complaints about how bad the 'liquid egg product' can be.

I remember one poster in the last big thread about this, posted about this 'product' even looked gross, when they got a glimpse of it. Like maybe they were trying a different one????

Maybe they have a better product now???

Or, maybe, the others here are right, and preparation really is key!

Maybe it is the 'whipping'... And, maybe the product brought out for the omelette station is not always being whipped/prepared adequately?

Hhhhhmmm?

I can be a little bit of a foodie, and I still think want fresh cracked eggs!

chengkp75 - thanks for the time control vs temp control; good to know. I can't imagine ANY eggs holding for 4 hrs... But I still believe from what I've experienced in land-based hotels that the steam trays are way too hot on eggs. But of course, it is also time+temp. scrambled eggs are turning over VERY rapidly on the Horizon Court at 8am on a port day... And on our cruise, all but 2 of 12 were port days...

Wishing on a star I should clarify again that this was my impression only. DW said they were "fine", but she was "almost disturbed" by the level of fluffiness. Others in our crew made no comment either way. Obviously, if you like your scrambled eggs BARELY done (the "right" kind of "wet", not watery because they were over-cooked), you'd hate these. But you'd also likely hate any eggs that were not a la minute and done with care.

As to pasteurized egg products, when serving so many people, I think I'd rather have that (prepared decently) than non-pasteurized, from-shell eggs. We use pasteurized at home, and when traveling with the immunocompromised and/or seniors, I'm thankful for it out, too.

But to each their own. Luckily, there is at least the theoretical _chance_ of that on a cruise. It is certainly _possible_ that a lower-volume, per-order breakfast option like Sabatini's COULD be cracking eggs and making scrambles fresh. I'll not comment on my guesses as to whether they are or not.

I appreciate reading this thread and learning more about the subject of scrambled eggs in the Horizon Court. There have been some very lengthy and, at times, rather heated discussions about HAL's Lido Restaurants scrambled egg product.

I am now looking forward to trying scrambled eggs in the Horizon Court on Royal Princess later this year.

Here is a trick that my wife came up with on a cruise once. To get real eggs and have them scrambled instead of the bulk eggs that are made from either powdered or liquid eggs. She would carefully make her order as “Two eggs and have them scrambled”. This worked in the dining room. She never tried this at the buffet.

Wow, I had the worst scrambled "eggs" ever on the Royal a couple of weeks ago. They were so bad, that I wouldn't even try them again. I stuck to omelettes or ate in the MDR. Maybe I got an "off" batch.

Wow, I had the worst scrambled "eggs" ever on the Royal a couple of weeks ago. They were so bad, that I wouldn't even try them again. I stuck to omelettes or ate in the MDR. Maybe I got an "off" batch.

Interesting comment and I thank you for it. Different chef preparing them?

Since you indicated that you then also ate in the MDR, did you find their preparation of scrambled eggs met your expectations?

I have to say chemgkp75's knowledge of different aspects of a ship always seems to amaze me :) His knowledge on the technical aspect of ships is impress me but also know about food - again, very impressed! Glad to have him on these forums.

Interesting comment and I thank you for it. Different chef preparing them?

Since you indicated that you then also ate in the MDR, did you find their preparation of scrambled eggs met your expectations?

I did not try them again for the remainder of the cruise. The powdered mix was definitely off. There was nothing that resembled eggs in the stuff they presented when I attempted to eat them.

I had horrible scrambled eggs on the June 6 cruise too. Switched to omelettes also.

I did not try them again for the remainder of the cruise. The powdered mix was definitely off. There was nothing that resembled eggs in the stuff they presented when I attempted to eat them.

I don't think anyone, including the US Army, uses powdered eggs anymore.

What has been seen on HAL, but I am not sure about Princess... they are often the same with some basic supplies... Are these bags of like liquid egg product. I am wondering if they have changed things around and tried different products???

The ship does not have the time to reconstitute powdered eggs, when liquid eggs are ready to use. Besides, the liquid eggs are also used in hollandaise and ceasar dressings, so why have two products.