Oh no!! friend can't go, what to do?

subieroo

So we are cruising in 9 days with my brother in law. He had a friend who was going on the cruise with us but he just got military orders and has to leave immediately. I know they won't give his money back but is it to late to fill his spot with someone else and how would we do so? Thanks in advance.

So we are cruising in 9 days with my brother in law. He had a friend who was going on the cruise with us but he just got military orders and has to leave immediately. I know they won't give his money back but is it to late to fill his spot with someone else and how would we do so? Thanks in advance.

I believe they will give him a future cruise credit equal to the amount paid as long as he can provide a copy of the orders. Depending on the rate you booked you will have to pay a name change fee or it may not be possible at all to replace him.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

Tread carefully. I would hope Carnival would work with you since he has military orders. However, was he booked in a room with only one other person? If so, the other person could be stuck paying a much higher price for their cruise because they are now cruising solo even though it isn't their fault. I could see Carnival giving the guy with military orders a break but then hitting his friend hard. It could be a situation where someone is going to get screwed but hopefully with military orders Carnival will do the right thing by BOTH cruisers.

First question

Did they have insurance?

If so, did they have insurance from Carnival?

If so, military person can cancel and receive full refund (Job coverage). Second person will then not have to pay extra because they are protected also.

Now, opinion time.

This coming from a disabled vet.

Active duty nor Veterans want, need, nor desire special treatment. A heart felt Thanks and we're all good.

If this person didn't get travel insurance, then shame on them. I don't understand where this "Carnival will do the right thing by BOTH cruisers" stuff comes from.

First question

Did they have insurance?

If so, did they have insurance from Carnival?

If so, military person can cancel and receive full refund (Job coverage). Second person will then not have to pay extra because they are protected also.

Now, opinion time.

Active duty nor Veterans want, need, nor desire special treatment. A heart felt Thanks and we're all good.

If this person didn't get travel insurance, then shame on them. I don't understand where this "Carnival will do the right thing by BOTH cruisers" stuff comes from.

Thank you for your service. Well said. I would love to buy you a drink on a future cruise

Now, opinion time.

No need to be humble. You and those who served have earned the special treatment.

I just had a similar situation. Hubby got orders to deploy overseas unexpectedly and almost immediately (2 wks) and we are booked for a cruise in May. Because our rate was a special offered to him ($70 each), to remove him moves my rate up to $499, current rate. But, they also say I cannot add someone in the room with me because that too will cause my rate to increase. Only option is to cruise alone or loose the money. Yes, we bought travel insurance, but think about it...$50 fee to change a $70 rate almost isn't worth it. And, yes again, we explained everything to carnival, including offering to send a copy of his orders. I understand it, but it's frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I believe they will give him a future cruise credit equal to the amount paid as long as he can provide a copy of the orders. Depending on the rate you booked you will have to pay a name change fee or it may not be possible at all to replace him.

In our case, they would not credit to a future cruise, nor refund full amt, even with his orders. We purchased our insurance thru carnival. I understand their point, but I also know my husband wasn't jumping up and down saying "send me, send me!" When the call came either. This is his 4th deployment in 8 yrs. He goes when they tell him to. We know that with his position scheduling things like this are just a chance we take.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums