Why would anyone get the Passport CARD?

cmptrwiz

If you get the passport CARD and cruise you still have to present your other Government photo ID ie Drivers license which is crazy since the passport CARD already has your picture on the passport CARD. The only reason I would get it is if I crossed the border back and forth from Mexico or Canada a bunch and wasn't planning on traveling Internationally. It's small size wallet size might be convenient and it is cheaper than a "real" passport. I vote for getting a regular passport then you don't have to deal with the problem of birth certificates, raised seal, state issued, Hospital issued, drivers license, passport CARD etc. Who knows maybe you'll take a trip overseas in the next 10 years! Just my 2 cents.

Wiz

If you get the passport CARD and cruise you still have to present your other Government photo ID ie Drivers license which is crazy since the passport CARD already has your picture on the passport CARD. The only reason I would get it is if I crossed the border back and forth from Mexico or Canada a bunch and wasn't planning on traveling Internationally. It's small size wallet size might be convenient and it is cheaper than a "real" passport. I vote for getting a regular passport then you don't have to deal with the problem of birth certificates, raised seal, state issued, Hospital issued, drivers license, passport CARD etc. Who knows maybe you'll take a trip overseas in the next 10 years! Just my 2 cents.

Wiz

For us, it was financially smarter for us to get a passport card. We can't afford to travel much, we usually have to save for a good year to be able to go on a cruise. So, it didn't make sense for us to pay the extra money for the "real" passport.

Wiz

We got both the passport & the cards for DH & DD. I already had a passport from a few years ago. DH just thought it a good idea to have it as a federal id, plus DD is disabled, so no driver's license, and the card will be her id.

I thought the passport card could suffice as your id for getting on/off the ship. Why do you need to present another government card id? DD doesn't have another one.

Wiz

You need to show only the Passport Card on re-entry to the U.S. Same goes for Enhanced DL's. Most U.S. Entry points have scanners that read the RFID chips as you pass though, no need to stop if they get a good scan and the RFID hits equal number of (apparent) passengers in the vehicle.

We got both the passport & the cards for DH & DD. I already had a passport from a few years ago. DH just thought it a good idea to have it as a federal id, plus DD is disabled, so no driver's license, and the card will be her id.

I thought the passport card could suffice as your id for getting on/off the ship. Why do you need to present another government card id? DD doesn't have another one.

I could see getting both passport BOOK and Card because it isn't a lot more money for both. According to Carnival when embarking, if you present a passport CARD you must also present another Government photo ID as well. Almost like the passport card replaces just the birth certificate.

In my state if you don't drive you can get a state ID card which looks like a drivers license to use as an ID to cash checks etc. Although I'm not sure how old you have to be.

Wiz

DH wants PC just to show his friends but he will be getting new enhanced DL. My problem is that my spelling on b/c is not how I spell my name now. So the PC would be best for me.

We aren't flyers and aren't planning to go out of country so pass card makes more sence. We are just doing Cabo so if we have a problem we can always ride the bus into Calif.

My daughter always cruises to Mexico with her PP card and has never had to show any other form of ID.

Maybe I miss understood Carnival, but their website says

"U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID.

I think it is great if she is able to cruise that way!

DH wants PC just to show his friends but he will be getting new enhanced DL. My problem is that my spelling on b/c is not how I spell my name now. So the PC would be best for me.

We aren't flyers and aren't planning to go out of country so pass card makes more sence. We are just doing Cabo so if we have a problem we can always ride the bus into Calif.

If you apply for a passport CARD or Book you will need to supply your birth certificate and they may send you the passport card back with your name the way it is spelled on the B/C. Just a thought.

I'm not a flier either, but suddenly my job required me to go to Belgium twice in the last 2 years. Boy am I glad I had my passport and my wife had hers. After my business trip we went on to Paris for 3 days. Had a great time. Not as good as a cruise!!!

"U.S. citizens taking “closed-loop” cruises are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID.

A passport card IS a government-issued photo ID as well as proof of citizenship.

I have both.

I have both. I use the book as ID at the airport and cruise terminal. I take the card with me when I go ashore for ID purposes, and just in case something happens. I keep my book in the safe in my cabin. And besides, the card is waterproof, the book isn't.

Do you know if your Passport Card is sufficient (with your sail/sign card) to get on and off the ship in ports? Or do you also have to bring your drivers license? This would be for the Caribbean.

Thank you.

Yes the Passport Card would be very sufficient.

As I recall the only time I had to show a picture ID with S/S card to get back on a ship was when we sailed in Hawaii.

I know allot of people here who have passport cards and it works well for them because they are really just going between Maine and Canada for work, etc, and not really traveling anywhere else.

I think that is the perfect reason to just to get the passport Card! How convenient it would be. Wallet size.

If you read the FAQ from the Carnival website, it says:

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

• Valid U.S. Passport
  • Passport Card
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate (Issued by the department of vital statistics)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card
  • A Consular Report of Birth Abroad

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents Click Here

So, if you were to read it literally, you would also need a government-issued ID with a passport too.:rolleyes:

For us, it was financially smarter for us to get a passport card. We can't afford to travel much, we usually have to save for a good year to be able to go on a cruise. So, it didn't make sense for us to pay the extra money for the "real" passport.

But the passport card is no better than the birth certificate/govt photo id.:confused:

Bill

But the passport card is no better than the birth certificate/govt photo id.:confused:

Bill

.......when it comes to cruising. Many people get the passport card to use to cross into another country. If you are crossing into Canada for example, you need a passport of passport card. They aren't interested in BC's certified or not.

.......when it comes to cruising. Many people get the passport card to use to cross into another country. If you are crossing into Canada for example, you need a passport of passport card. They aren't interested in BC's certified or not.

Yeah I had written that and deleted it, but I was more interested in people who are merely going to the Bahamas or the Caribbean?

I didnt see any Alaska cruises listed on CrusinCorys sig so that's why I asked.:)

Bill

No one has pointed out that the passport card is only good for land travel between the US and Canada and the US and Mexico.

If you miss your ship in a port in Mexico or Bermuda or the Bahamas, you will not be getting on an airplane with the passport card - at least not one destined for the US and maybe not one going to your next port of call.

If you have some kind of medical emergency that requires you to take a plane instead of the ship to get back to the U.S., you'd have to wait to get an emergency passport at the nearest embassy. (Which would be easier with a passport card in hand but you'd still have some delay.)

The card costs less when you get it at the same time as your passport book. If you live close enough to drive to Canada or Mexico, the card is convenient. Otherwise, I am not sure why you'd need one.

No one has pointed out that the passport card is only good for land travel between the US and Canada and the US and Mexico.

If you miss your ship in a port in Mexico or Bermuda or the Bahamas, you will not be getting on an airplane with the passport card - at least not one destined for the US and maybe not one going to your next port of call.

If you have some kind of medical emergency that requires you to take a plane instead of the ship to get back to the U.S., you'd have to wait to get an emergency passport at the nearest embassy. (Which would be easier with a passport card in hand but you'd still have some delay.)

The card costs less when you get it at the same time as your passport book. If you live close enough to drive to Canada or Mexico, the card is convenient. Otherwise, I am not sure why you'd need one.

It is good for land or sea entry. If you are in the Eastern Caribbean, it will allow you entry to the USVI. From there you can get home. If stuck in Mexico, the bus, while not a preferred mode of travel, is still an option. Finally, since it takes the same documentation and approval from the State Dept., an emergency PP can be issued quickly, or permission granted from C&BP to use that as an acceptable form of re-entry ID.

Wrong. It's good for land and sea travel between US and Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

Archived