Why would anyone get the Passport CARD?

cmptrwiz

I keep forgetting about those colonies of Americans all over the world that just cannot seem to get U.S. Dept. of State permission to return home through the local consulate. Especially if they possess a form of identification that has been vetted to the same standards as a regular passport, and is approved by the WHTI. Poor, lost souls!:rolleyes:

Good Point. Enjoy spending 18 hours at the US consulate being transfered between agencies to get clearence to return to the US NOT via cargo ship. Hope there hasn't been some terrible emergency in your life that is causing you to have to return quickly. Way to go saving that $80 on the passport by the way.

We all use it as our "picture ID" getting off and on the ship.

Our 19 year old son has Autism and will never have a driver's license.....

And while it is not "official" to fly with outside of the US.....I think it would be better than having nothing at all in case of an emergency...because I always leave our Passports in the safe.....

Good Point. Enjoy spending 18 hours at the US consulate being transfered between agencies to get clearence to return to the US NOT via cargo ship. Hope there hasn't been some terrible emergency in your life that is causing you to have to return quickly. Way to go saving that $80 on the passport by the way.

We do have both, but trust me - the U.S. Consulate would be a one-stop affair. They are part of the State Dept and only have to call C&BP to inform them of your arrival. They are the ones who issue PP's and PPC's. From past experience while in the Navy, one of our sailor's wife's lost her PP in Bermuda. It took only one call to get her cleared to return. Her method of ID? A U.S. Armed Forces dependent ID card. Bermuda is a British colony. For now they are our allies, so it isn't a major effort to repatriate US citizens. Now if returning from Cuba......

As far as saving money, I think that by the time you have arranged a walk-on, one way flight from a foreign country, you will have spent far more money than you budgeted anyway.

If you get the passport CARD and cruise you still have to present your other Government photo ID ie Drivers license which is crazy since the passport CARD already has your picture on the passport CARD. The only reason I would get it is if I crossed the border back and forth from Mexico or Canada a bunch and wasn't planning on traveling Internationally. It's small size wallet size might be convenient and it is cheaper than a "real" passport. I vote for getting a regular passport then you don't have to deal with the problem of birth certificates, raised seal, state issued, Hospital issued, drivers license, passport CARD etc. Who knows maybe you'll take a trip overseas in the next 10 years! Just my 2 cents.

Wiz

I have the card and have never had to show another ID.

• 1 month later...

Just off a cruise on the fantasy. Going in just showed passport card and fun (boarding) pass and just the passport card getting off ship. That's literally how it [/b]

i was getting pretty confused on this '' passport card '' issue. we will be doing loop cruise from seattle and going too alaska. my friend got a passport card for the trip. besides her drivers liscense will or will-not she be ok. im so mixed up on this :confused:.

i just got off the phone with carnival. they said since i am going back to seattle on the closed loop all she needs is the passport card and funpass too get onboard. of course a drivers liscense is recommended too have as well.

If you get the passport CARD and cruise you still have to present your other Government photo ID ie Drivers license which is crazy since the passport CARD already has your picture on the passport CARD. The only reason I would get it is if I crossed the border back and forth from Mexico or Canada a bunch and wasn't planning on traveling Internationally. It's small size wallet size might be convenient and it is cheaper than a "real" passport. I vote for getting a regular passport then you don't have to deal with the problem of birth certificates, raised seal, state issued, Hospital issued, drivers license, passport CARD etc. Who knows maybe you'll take a trip overseas in the next 10 years! Just my 2 cents.

Wiz

Here are the facts combined and simple:

Passport Card - Been on two different cruise lines, and this was the only ID I needed, along with my wife, and kid. No other ID was needed.

In Ports: Passport card is easy to carry in your wallet, like you license, which means for many people, they will actually carry it instead of keeping it in the safe where it is useless. Also note, you can get it wet, which is common on excursions.

Downfall: You can not use it to fly so if something does happen, you will have some issues to overcome. (Odds are very slim this will happen).

Drivers License: One person in your party may be asked for it to check the address etc. This is not for customs, but for the cruiseline.

Best solution: Get both and use each for what is convenient.

Best advice: Don't listen to posts, and do what is best for you since most posts are partially wrong or have strong opinions that do not support statistics or facts.

Archived