Is it free to text if both parties have iPhones on the ship? If in the US?

LongHill44

I read someone that if two parties with iPhones text one another, be it both parties on the same ship or one on the ship and another in the US, it is free.

Is that true?

Some say you need to be connected to Wi-Fi to do so and there is a way to turn off all texts and phone calls unless you are connected to Wi-Fi

I have two teens so I am a bit nervous, lol

as stated above, you cant text without charges. just something more... if your phone is on and not in airplane mode, you will be charged for stuff that happens. emails, notifications, any texts to you... you will be shocked how large a bill you will end up with.

shut off the phones and put them in the safe

turn data off. purchase ships social wifi package at $4/day per person. turn on wifi. the iPhone to iPhone messenger will usually work on ship and back home, though some say it doesn't at times. if you want to just worry about texting each other on ship, have everyone download the carnival hub APP, turn on wifi and pay $5 per person for the week. you can then message each other through the APP but only on the ship. keep data off in all cases.

As stated. Two iPhones can text via iMessage without cellular service - but they need WiFi service. So turn airplane mode on to turn cellular services off, then turn WiFi on, and can purchase whatever WiFi plan is appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

as stated above, you cant text without charges. just something more... if your phone is on and not in airplane mode, you will be charged for stuff that happens. emails, notifications, any texts to you... you will be shocked how large a bill you will end up with.

shut off the phones and put them in the safe

Hub App? I use my phone for everything. Flashlight, Star Gazer, pictures, music, alarm clock, Radar app, reading, and more...... it will NOT be in my safe

Even for texts if both users are on the ship using iPhone iMessanger?

How are you expecting the message to be transmitted from one phone to the other ?

You can get the Carnival HUB app and pay $5 for each phone but the messaging feature is not as quick as iMessage, delays are common.

Hub App? I use my phone for everything. Flashlight, Star Gazer, pictures, music, alarm clock, Radar app, reading, and more...... it will NOT be in my safe

as I stated, if you do not have it in airplane mode, there will probably be unexpected charges.

Yikes! Tons of bad information here. Imessage uses Wi-Fi. If you purchase a Wi-Fi plan on the ship the iPhone can message other iPhones anywhere using the ships wifi. But when you get on the ship put phones in airplane mode to turn off cell data no matter what or you will be paying for roaming.

Yikes! Tons of bad information here. Imessage uses Wi-Fi. If you purchase a Wi-Fi plan on the ship the iPhone can message other iPhones anywhere using the ships wifi. But when you get on the ship put phones in airplane mode to turn off cell data no matter what or you will be paying for roaming.

The general gist of your post is correct, however iMessage used data, which can be either cellular data or Wi-Fi. Clarifying as the bolded sentence could lead people to believe that iMessage will only work on Wi-Fi. And it can message any other iPhone providing the other iPhones have iMessage enabled, as there is a settings toggle that allows it to be turned off. If the recipient iPhone does not have iMessage turned on, they will not receive the message.

And the threadstarter mistakenly believes (or was erroneously told) it would be FREE to use iMessage on board the ship.

Threadstarter would need to either:

1. pay for Wifi for both phones
  2. use a cellular data connection (Cellular at Sea I think it is called - not free)
  3. or, pay the $5 fee for Carnival Hub app (which is not really iMessage)

How is there any bad information? Isn't everyone else saying pretty much the same thing you are?

I didn't know you could turn iMessage on and off, I guess you could delete the app

iMessage work through the same app as text messages. You can change the settings to allow or not allow iMessage based on whether or not you want to use internet. iMessage if you want to use data/internet/WiFi; SMS message for purely cellular text.

How is there any bad information? Isn't everyone else saying pretty much the same thing you are?

I agree. The only bad info I see is that the OP thinks iMessage works without needing a signal and when the poster that claimed all the bad info said that it needs wi-fi to work which is only partially true. It also works off of cell data. I don’t get wi-fi at work and use it through my provider every day. So it’s either or.

What’s the bad info?