Sufficient time to move between MIA & FLL airports?

emerald6273

Just checking I would have enough time to travel between Miami International and Fort Lauderdale airports on same day?

We are UK visitors. Planning weekend in Cancun after our cruise. Will arrive back into Miami Airport from Cancun at 11.40am on a Monday and need to make a 5.00pm International flight departing from Fort Lauderdale Airport on same day. Achievable?

Easy! :) Depending upon traffic the ride will take about 45 or so minutes -- UberX will get you from MIA to FLL for about $35-40 or you can use a taxi for about $70.

If this helps you owe me a pint -- whatever Bitter the pour at your local will be fine! ;)

I agree. Very doable but once you collect luggage head over to Ford Lauderdale.

Keith

There is an earlier flight we could get which departs Cancun at 7am but would leave us with a very long day starting 3.30am plus a transatlantic flight journey lasting 15 hours beginning at 5pm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
It isn't convenient at all but it is cheap.

I guess it all depends on what "convenient" means to you...

Boarding the train at MIA airport and getting to FLL without worrying about traffic is pretty convenient, at least to me.

And shuttle service from the station to FLL terminal is excellent.

Way more than enough time. If you take a cab or uber, the drive during the middle of the day is 35 - 40 minutes between the 2 airports. You will almost certainly end up with several hours of sitting at FLL airport. No reason to take the earlier flight.

An accident or rain is not going to add hours to your drive unless you happen to be in the car that gets in a major accident in the rain... Lol. There is tons exits and other highways if there was an accident, and uber will route your driver the fastest way.

I was driving back from PortMiami to my home (further than FLL airport) - there was an accident that completely shut down I95, we routed around it and were still home in about 45 minutes. That's a longer drive than between the 2 airports.

Don't stress this at all.