Changing room to higher $$ cabin after final payment - can this be done

Radar boomer

Hi we booked on a TA and noticed that the room we have is now 50% less ..which is sad to see since we booked in advance and got no room credit etc...

wondering if there is a higher $$ cabin still available would they let us upgrade for the difference in fare?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

US booking? After final payment you're in the penalty-to-cancel phase and lines reduce prices on remaining cabins in order to fill up the ship.

Even early enough that cancellation was fully refundable we tried to move our reservation to a higher room category and we were told that we'd have to cancel and rebook, losing our booking bonuses on the original booking in doing so. Our TA was able to get most of the bonuses reinstated so it wasn't too painful for us. You'd lose a significant portion of your payment to date if you canceled at this point.

I'd be very surprised if you'd be able to upgrade your room at the cheaper fares. I've always felt that it's best not to look at prices after the final payment deadline.

To get the new fare it will require a cancel and rebook,

Hopefully you are outside of Penalties and since you booked without any Sales Promo benefits (how did that happen ?),you have nothing to lose .

Cunard may give you a hard time with the New Bookings Only thing . If you are using a Good TA

they have contacts to get that resolved.

I was told that yes, you can upgrade but the fare for the stateroom you wish to change to will what it was at the time of your original booking, not the latest lower fare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Canuker suggested you will lose nothing by asking. Call Cunard or your TA depending on how you made your booking.

Waiting for a deal is a risk. Nobody here can no what political, economic or weather related factors will influence booking demand and therefore fares. Yes you might have been able to book at half of whatever it was a few months ago. But if the sailing is selling well you won't see any deals. And as you wait the ship could sell out or have only categories that you don't want. They're capacity controlled with only so many carbins being allotted to the promotional fare. Also remember that these late deals are usually for category guarantees and you go to the bottom of the list for dining time preference.

You have to decide whether you want 1) the lowest price over and above any other consideration or 2) being able to pick your stateroom and dining time. When you did book the fare was completely acceptable to you. Many here share Underwatr's opinion: Don't look at the fares after the payment deadline.

Update. I called. I had 2 options, get upgraded to the best balcony available within the price we paid. We paid over $2 079 each for an obstructed deck 8 balcony, which is now going for $1,079, all that was left was the highest sheltered, so this was definitely a consideration..I also asked about the club balcony which was only $170 more than what we had paid, she asked the supervisor and we were able to change..we had no room credit not free gratitudes in our original booking, so they were not there to loose, we had already paid final and were at the 50% lose category if we were to rebook..all in all worked out as the club balcony was not $2,279 when we booked original..Canadian booking/prices for the aug 3rd sailing...

Sent from my iPad using Forums