Getaway - eating with an food allergy

helensobol

I've been a bunch of cruises with various lines and ships and I know having a food allergy prevents from me eating a lot of places.. usually buffets are my biggest no no.

Could someone tell me how things are stationed at the buffet? I know this a weird request but for example - RC Oasis of Sea, the buffet was open with foods in circular stations. Carnival - all ships, they have separate zones for sandwiches, pizza, desserts. I never had a reaction with Carnival but had a very bad one with RC.

My daughter hates to eat in MDR for every meal so I'm hoping I can figure out where are my best food location options.

The buffet is just one long line broken up into different sections. Like salad is one section and the next is sandwiches. No idea how it would be on allergies though. It flows way better than the buffet on royal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank, that actually helps me get an idea. If things are broken up there is less room for cross contamination. I just want to be able to walk in there and get my daughter food without having a reaction. I'll still be wary and prepared for anything

Food allergies suck!

Thank, that actually helps me get an idea. If things are broken up there is less room for cross contamination. I just want to be able to walk in there and get my daughter food without having a reaction. I'll still be wary and prepared for anything

Food allergies suck!

I have been told you can ask for new dishes (or at least a serving from a new dish) of the foods you want to be brought out to you at the buffet if you are concerned about cross contamination occurring at the serving line vs. cross contamination that may happen in the kitchen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Contact the Norwegian access desk in advance and let them know about your food allergy. It will make your life much easier ( I speak from experience)

accessdesk@ncl.com

You can get an idea if you go to the Getaway and do the 360 virtual tour of the Garden cafe. Enlarge the photo to where you can see where the food is served from.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Find out if Cher Fuentes is still one of the maitre d’ s on the ship. She was outstanding in 2016 Getaway cruise. My son has multiple allergies.

We did find the buffet a bit difficult to negotiate but it wasn’t completely off limits. But the MDRs and specialties were fabulous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This brings up a question I had. How do they deal with food allergies at Teppanyaki? Shellfish is one of the offerings and everyone's food is cooked on the same grill. Do they have a special grill where they would prepare food for someone with (for instance) a shellfish allergy?

We were on the Escape with an allergy last year and ate at the buffet once and had a good experience. We told one of the workers and they directed us to the person to talk to. She pointed out the things we could have from the buffet and then brought fresh plates of food from the back. She even offered to make a gluten free pizza. It took a bit longer for the person with the allergy to get their food, however. We are traveling on the Star in April and think we will eat at the buffet more often. We were thinking that the person with the allergy might go first a few minutes to get food ordered and then the rest would follow a few minutes later. The best part? No allergic reactions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We travelled on the Getaway in 2015 with our son who has a gluten allergy. We notified NCL ahead of time, and they had a GF menu for him at every meal in the MDR, which pleasantly surprised us. The waiters would fantastic at knowing or being able to find out what dishes he could have or not even off the main menu.

In the buffet, he talked to whoever he could find, and they always helped him find what he could have. Sometimes they would go get stuff from the back for him too if there was any concern about cross-contamination.

Just speak up about your allergy, and they'll be super helpful!

This brings up a question I had. How do they deal with food allergies at Teppanyaki? Shellfish is one of the offerings and everyone's food is cooked on the same grill. Do they have a special grill where they would prepare food for someone with (for instance) a shellfish allergy?

We ate at Teppanyaki with my son’s soy and nut allergies.

We had the earliest reservation and the whole group at our cooktop ate safe foods.

They made us white rice elsewhere in ship and brought up for the event.

We ate at Teppanyaki with my son’s soy and nut allergies.

We had the earliest reservation and the whole group at our cooktop ate safe foods.

They made us white rice elsewhere in ship and brought up for the event.

Thank you. I assumed NCL had this figured out but I was wondering how this is handled.

Thank you. I assumed NCL had this figured out but I was wondering how this is handled.

It was truly a thrill for my then 15 y o son. He’s never gotten to do that style dining or even Asian food before.

He did only get fruit as his dessert there, but he didn’t care. It was awesome.

Elsewhere on the ship, chefs worked hard to make him special desserts.

Thanks everyone. I did call NCL special services already but the buffet is always an area where I never quite know how to manage. I have a peanut allergy. If it cooked and airborne I even get a reaction.

I wasn't aware that they would get you a fresh dish of something in the buffet. I'm so happy to know this!!

I bring 7 epipens and 100 benadryl tablets to remedy anything myself.

Twice we've eaten at Teppanyaki with someone at our table (but not in our party) who had a a shellfish allergy. Once their food was prepared first, along with the rest of the beef/chicken dishes. After those were served, the shellfish was cooked and served to those who had ordered it. The other time, the person with the allergy's food was prepared somewhere in the kitchen behind the scenes.

We've been on several NCL cruises including the Getaway and have been impressed with how the staff in the dining venues accommodated my son's peanut allergy.

Prior to the cruise the Access Desk e-mailed the soft serve ingredient list prior to our cruise.

On board we pre-ordered meals in the MDR's. As mentioned in the buffet we were told what was okay. They even prepared baked goods in the morning and sent them aside for my son each day.

John