Mysterious Getaway BX 8710 cabin

jrbeccles

When doing some research for this cabin, there was only a few comments on this cabin type and no pictures, so I thought I’d post a review of this cabin and a few (poorly taken) snaps. The cruise date was June 6th, 2015.

On the Getaway and Breakaway (and also on the upcoming Escape) there is a BX balcony category. BX is normally thought of as a “Guaranteed Balcony”, and is the bottom tier of balcony types. However, on the ships mentioned, BX does have four cabins assigned to that tier. They are 8710, 8712 on the forward starboard side, and 8110, 8112 on the forward port side. These four cabins sell out fast. So why would one want the lowest tier balconies here? The distinct advantage of these four cabins is the have very large balconies. Not the standard tiny 36 square feet, but approximately 100 SF. So instead of getting two chairs and a small round table, you get two full loungers, two chairs, and a nice size table. Plus room to swing a cat. Apart from the balcony size, the cabin style is exactly the same as any other balcony cabin in terms of layout and size. The large balcony just makes the whole experience much more fun.

The Pros –

1. Obviously the biggest pro is the large balcony. It’s just so nice. Plus obtained at the lowest balcony price

2. If you get the most forward cabin (8710 or 8110) you have no one next to your outdoor balcony on one side.

3. At the start of the hallway is where the action starts. The Waterfront, which is wonderful, is on deck 8. On the Getaway both the Sunset Bar and Sugarcane Bar are just down the hall, if you like libations, and we do.

4. Being at the end of the hallway there is very little passenger noise or pater of kids running through the passageway

5. Bed was beside the slider, making the cabin more functional in my view.

The Cons -

1. Speaking of libations, if you have had quite a few then it’s a heck of a walk down the hallway to the cabin. Its 120 steps, and I have long legs.

2. If you like looking at the water leaning on the railing, don’t do it in your underwear as my DW did on the first morning. It’s open to view from a number of other balconies, plus the bridge. Plenty of privacy on the first few feet of the balcony next to the sliding door, but after that you are visible to quite a few folks.

3. There were quite a few odd noises. Nothing that woke you up or really bothered us, but some strange clanking sounds and every once in a while something that sounded like a cannon going off in the distance. There was no noise from the theater at all. Of course maybe these noises were heard in many cabins - not sure and again not any bother

4. If you need a walker or wheelchair don’t get this cabin. It’s just too far down the hallway, and these are very narrow hallways. During the cabin crawl one of the group was in a motorized wheelchair and just gave up as it was very difficult to get by the numerous steward’s cleaning trolleys.

5. It’s a long way up to the Garden Café from the cabin. But on sea days there was fresh coffee and pastries on the Sunset bar outdoor bar, which was great.

So in my very humble opinion, it’s a steal if you can get one of these four cabins under the BX level, remembering the above cons. I’ve booked 8710 for the next two Escape cruises coming up, and am really hoping the balcony is about the same size as the ones on the Getaway. It looks like it’s going to be!

I won’t give a long review of the Getaway cruise itself as so many have been posted. I’ll just say it was really great!! Staff were some of the nicest I’ve ever met, as was reflected in how much time they took with us at the Roll Call. The shows were good, and food excellent. We had the UBP which was SO nice, as we do like to have a few. As mentioned both Sunset and Sugarcane bars were a lot of fun. I did the martini, margarita, and mojito tastings which were a hoot. For a very nice “posh” drink go to the Prime Meridian Bar which serves Cagneys and Moderno. All the bartenders were very friendly.

Now as promised some poor photos of the 8710 balcony and cabin, plus some of the surrounding cabins who can peek at you. Notice the huge difference in balcony size though!

IMG_3136.jpg.9ae5134763d24ea0db61ee60afca327a.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg.61a79c8f55308271bd6b529a595fb8fa.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg.172ec9fe6343bf28cc5fbb94d9ca1928.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg.746ad901b9ea8ccac7daad67faaad86b.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg.9b872ebb34b69fe07cfa65c048faa0cb.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg.aec9f21794e763816e63b5aa29eb8803.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg.01f99bd04e0c31b2f9c66b2321b46191.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg.831e06c753f4081ec946e342cf7f9b26.jpg

So the biggest balcony difference from the M6's next door is that the balcony is recessed back from the side of the ship. There is a gully, so to speak, where you can't look straight down to the water.

Otherwise it looks like a top notch balcony and cabin for the Awayships

Hello, thank you for the info. We have the cabin next door on the Escape. I was concerned about being in a "10" with a blank space next to it on the deck plan, I wonder if some sound came from that area.

My only other thought was pointed out above, did it bother you not being able to see directly down to the water? Though, the more I think of it, most balconies can't see directly down.

Thank you again, I am excited even more so for the Escape.

HoopTroop

Hi John!

We were on your cruise and met you at the M&G. Thanks for setting that up it was great. My mom was the one dancing with the guy with the candle on his head! We loved the ship and booked the 2 bedroom Haven Family cabin for next May on a Western Caribbean itinerary. My parents booked the Escape for the transatlantic crossing later this year. Thanks for the tip on the BX balcony I will have to keep that in mind for a future booking! :D

We are booked in 8710 on the Escape in March. I hope that the balconies are the same on the Escape!! We planned to sail on the Getaway in an Ocean view but it was cheaper to book the balcony cabin 8710 on the Escape for the same week out of Miami, that would make it even better if we not only have a balcony but a large oneJ

My only other thought was pointed out above, did it bother you not being able to see directly down to the water? Though, the more I think of it, most balconies can't see directly down.

HoopTroop

Yep, only the M6

this pic has been helpful, you can see the M6 and the BX balconies quite well

Norwegian Breakaway in Rotterdam

some other pics, not mine.

DSCF0156_zpslyzjrrr5.jpg

20141008_174043_zpsczk4rr79.jpg

Edited by legion3

Hello, thank you for the info. We have the cabin next door on the Escape. I was concerned about being in a "10" with a blank space next to it on the deck plan, I wonder if some sound came from that area.

HoopTroop

The "blank space" is literally blank! Nothing is there. No door, no storage, and seems to me to be a waste of space. However I'm sure there is some reasoning for it, but no, no persons nor noise from the area at all. see attached pic.

No you cant see directly down to the water, but that was fine and no problem

IMG_3139.jpg.12c4948c5bd7f7abbc5bb25720ed632e.jpg

Hi John!

We were on your cruise and met you at the M&G. Thanks for setting that up it was great. My mom was the one dancing with the guy with the candle on his head! We loved the ship and booked the 2 bedroom Haven Family cabin for next May on a Western Caribbean itinerary. My parents booked the Escape for the transatlantic crossing later this year. Thanks for the tip on the BX balcony I will have to keep that in mind for a future booking! :D

Well the 2 bedroom Haven beats the BX hands down! But hey if you want to take a quick cheap cruise, it was a fine cabin

It really was a good M&G right! The staff went over the top.

We are booked in 8710 on the Escape in March. I hope that the balconies are the same on the Escape!! We planned to sail on the Getaway in an Ocean view but it was cheaper to book the balcony cabin 8710 on the Escape for the same week out of Miami, that would make it even better if we not only have a balcony but a large oneJ

I'm betting a lot of money that the Escape 8710 has a large balcony also, as I have it booked for Thanksgiving 2015 and March 2016 Spring Break!!

Any opinions on which may be better between these cabins and the angled balcony cabins?

If you base it on balcony size alone then the BX wins (see attached photo I took of an angled balcony above my cabin) Angled still much larger than a standard balcony but maybe half the size of the BX.

However to be fair there are loads of angled balconies on the ship and you may find one that is closer to the elevators or the deck or location you want to be at. The BX is WAY at the end of the hallway and only on deck 8.

IMG_3138.jpg.eb170ba1d24c4d842ee9706d49f2b543.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This was "our" view from sibling ship - BA's 10712 (just a regular "BD" category with the micro-sized balcony, sleep 3 with the convertible sofa away from the entry door/closet (so room seemed smaller ... but, sitting at the sofa, just fine for 2 of us) location is okay - DW counted 145 steps from the elevators/forward stairs as she is sized 7.5 shoes IMG20150323_1843%20%28768x1024%29.jpg

We originally booked an Oceanview for our 7 nights in OC - GTY category about 7 weeks out, waited about 3 weeks for getting one assigned & kept checking ... no, didn't get the Upsell Fairy's email or call, just plainly got the free Upgrade to BD, initially thought we got one of the few FWD oceanview on 8, 9 or 10 then realized we got one with sliding glass doors, wow hoo !!

Edited by mking8288

• 4 months later...
I'm betting a lot of money that the Escape 8710 has a large balcony also, as I have it booked for Thanksgiving 2015 and March 2016 Spring Break!!

Looks like you will get yet another large balcony on the BX8710 on Escape. Check out the videos on Youtube.....they are just as deep as Getaway!

Norwegian-Escape.jpg.8eff5fc7754e3bea6e71f23039257bb1.jpg

I'm confused what posters mean when referring to not seeing the water when they look down.

On a typical balcony:

1. When I sit in my chair and look straight out, I see water to the horizon.
  2. When I sit in my chair and look straight down, I see the floor under my feet.
  3. When I sit in my chair and move my head from looking straight down, upwards until I am looking straight out, I see floor, then typcially I'd see water through the glass rail, and eventually I'd see water out to the horizon.
  4. If I walk to the rail, hang my head over a bit and look down, I see water.

Which of the list above doesn't apply to these balconies?

I'm confused what posters mean when referring to not seeing the water when they look down.

On a typical balcony:

1. When I sit in my chair and look straight out, I see water to the horizon.
  2. When I sit in my chair and look straight down, I see the floor under my feet.
  3. When I sit in my chair and move my head from looking straight down, upwards until I am looking straight out, I see floor, then typcially I'd see water through the glass rail, and eventually I'd see water out to the horizon.
  4. If I walk to the rail, hang my head over a bit and look down, I see water.

Which of the list above doesn't apply to these balconies?

SO funny. I needed that bit of light humor right about now. These balconies have about a 2 ft ledge after the glass railing that is part of the bow.

Option 4 that unless you are on the forward mini's on Deck 8 you won't look straight down and see water anyways.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
We were assigned room 8712 for our upcoming trip on the Getaway and are trying to decide if we should give it up for the current promotions. Does anyone have pictures or additional feedback to share. I'm also wondering about any noise from below...thanks!

Don't give up this amazing room!!! I had 8710 in May and the balcony was the best! :) I reviewed the cruise and room here-http://thecheerfulcruiser.blogspot.com/2016/06/norwegian-getaway-review.html

We were assigned room 8712 for our upcoming trip on the Getaway and are trying to decide if we should give it up for the current promotions. Does anyone have pictures or additional feedback to share. I'm also wondering about any noise from below...thanks!

I would not chance it if there is a possibility you could lose this room. Since you were assigned this cabin, it sounds like you booked a balcony guarantee. Under the current promotion, guarantees are not eligible for any perks. If you booked before NCL put this restriction in place, do not mess with your reservation. If you had any promotional perks, I would hope that they would inform you if you would lose those.

Edited by vince_g