Day tours from Rome cruise terminal area

MaiTaiMary

I was looking into Viator for a full day tour of Rome. It looks like the meeting point is far from the cruise terminal, though. I'm not interested in trying to navigate public transportation here.

Any recommendations for a tour company to look into who will pick you up right where the cruise ship comes in? I don't want a private driver. A group tour is fine.

Thank you.

Rome in Limo- a wonderful operation, will pick you up at the side of the ship. You can put together a group. Or use their tour share feature on their website.

Some recent info indicates that private, large vehicle tours are not allowed in the port. I guess "cheaper" doesn't get you much...

Keep in mind it is an hour plus from the port at Civitavecchia to Rome. And because Rome is such a tourist hub, most group tours can find enough folks staying in Rome to fill up tours there, rather than coming to the port to pick up cruise passengers.

Having said that, if you take the free port shuttle outside the port to the main pick up/drop off area, there have been reports of some bus tours that offer transportation and limited stops in Rome, for example, read here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2579247

The problem I'd have with something like this is that you have to sort of operate on the fly (e.g., wait to see what's available), and to me Rome is too significant a port to take a chance on something just happening to be available...

There is a bus for cruise passengers but it stops at the airport before heading into Rome, and on the way back it again stops at the airport before heading to the port, wasting a lot of time, something you already have precious little of on a port day.

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/destinations/rome/rome-transfers?page=shop.product_details&product_id=103&category_id=12&flypage=flypage.tpl

I think your best bet is to get on the roll call for your sailing and see if you can find a group of like-minded folks who want to share the cost of two private transfers (as opposed to the more expensive full day tours). You can contrast this with the cost of a full day tour and decide if the additional expense to have a driver at your beck and call all day is worth it to you.

I must suggest Rome in Limo. They offer excellent tours of Rome, the drivers speak excellent English and the are very knowledgeable. Check out their website and perhaps you "Roll Call" to perhaps share a tour already established or book and share one. We have used them over eight times now and will be using them again this year.

there are several well recommended companies on these boards and some you can sign up on an individual basis where others 1 person initiates booking and finds tour sharers on their roll call

minivans less than 8 seaters will pick you up near ship gangplank whereas larger buses you will have to meet outside port gates

contact several companies and you will soon get a feel for which is best fit for you