Best time for later disembarkation in FLL

cangelmd

Our cruise ends in FLL. We had to take an awkwardly timed flight out - about 5 pm.

I know we cannot do any kind of "late disembarkation", but does anyone have a feel for when would be a good time to disembark to miss the long taxi lines?

I don't think we are going to be up for actually doing any sightseeing in FLL, no real interest in beach or airboat, etc. I am looking into a way to get our bags to the airport and allow us to go have a leisurely lunch before heading to the airport.

I'm crossposting this on the Florida board as well.

If your airline participates, Luggage valet may be a good option for you. When you place your bags outside your cabin the night before you disembark, they are picked up and you dont see them again until you get to your final destination. That would gove you a few more options for a leisurely day without hauling your suitcases.

I saw a post of the Luggage Valet signup sheet for Celebrity on another thread which I cannot immediately find. It only covered several airlines. However I believe departure times from FLL were as late as 11:59 pm. Can’t recall the earliest, but the service was $25/person plus any baggage charges you would have. They would also provide you with your boarding passes and this would all get charged to your room account. Signup had to be completed several days prior to debarkation.

We will have a flight departure around 8 pm, so we will definitely be using this as we have in the past. Best to call Celebrity for further info on airlines and departure times it is available for. They also offer it for Fort Lauderdale arrivals departing from MIA, but with different scheduling times and airlines participating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Our cruise ends in FLL. We had to take an awkwardly timed flight out - about 5 pm.

I know we cannot do any kind of "late disembarkation", but does anyone have a feel for when would be a good time to disembark to miss the long taxi lines?

I don't think we are going to be up for actually doing any sightseeing in FLL, no real interest in beach or airboat, etc. I am looking into a way to get our bags to the airport and allow us to go have a leisurely lunch before heading to the airport.

We had a late flight out of FLL last year and we decided to do a resort for a day. We bought tickets off the "resort for a day " website and had a great day at the Atlantic hotel. Might be something to look into

You'll have to disembark at about930. By that point when I left Summit earlier this year, lines weren't an issue and I found my Uber quickly.

As someone else suggested, even though you don't have an interest, you might consider day passes to a resort, or even just checking into a room--that airport isn't great for long layovers. And if you can do luggage valet it's a great idea because @ FLL the airlines can be sticklers for refusing to let you check bags further than 4 hours out. While there is a luggage storage facility at the airport it was a pain to use.

Thanks guys, the day passes are a good idea. This is a transatlantic, so the Luggage Valet is not an option. I'm looking for another option, worst comes to worst, we can go to the airport, check in our luggage and then go somewhere.

Is there some sort of shuttle that might take us to a hotel or restaurant area from the airport?

Scope out a hotel that has both an airport shuttle and a good restaurant. Take a cab there, have a leisurely lunch maybe hang out a bit. Just like the "resort for a day" mentioned above but you won't really have use of the facility. When time comes just take the hotel shuttle, with your bags, to the airport.

I'd just as soon do the resort for a day.

Why wouldn't luggage valet be available in FLL at the end of a transatlantic cruise?

I’m guessing it’s due to Customs. They want to see you and your baggage as they ship has cruised internationally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why wouldn't luggage valet be available in FLL at the end of a transatlantic cruise?

I got that answer from the good folk on these boards, but it makes some sense to me... you are coming from a truly “foreign” port, vs Caribbean. Plus it’s the ship’s first US calling several months.