Lost in translation

cdwh1902

Why do we call it 'entree' in U.S.? :D

Why do You call it 'main'? :D

It is what it is. :)

Why do we say 'restroom or bathroom' and UK says 'Loo'? :shrug:

The variety makes the world more fun.

The main/.entree has the biggest possibility[nowdays] for disaster just magine asking for an entree size serve in a country that calls it a main, you'd get a small serving and end up going hungry.:eek:

In the past when most "loos" [in some places] were not in the bathroom [the room the bath tub was in] I saw some Americans get caught out when they asked where the bathroom was, nowdays due to TV and movies I expect most of these issues are no longer relevant.

The main/.entree has the biggest possibility[nowdays] for disaster just magine asking for an entree size serve in a country that calls it a main, you'd get a small serving and end up going hungry.:eek:

In the past when most "loos" [in some places] were not in the bathroom [the room the bath tub was in] I saw some Americans get caught out when they asked where the bathroom was, nowdays due to TV and movies I expect most of these issues are no longer relevant.

How about lift and elevator...

Hood and trunk...

Sweater and Jumper ?

The list goes on.

No one is right and no one is wrong. It is interesting differences in our cultures. It's all good. :)

If one is hungry in a restaurant, they need only order more food. :D

I did however know that I wasn't going to run into any kangaroos or koalas in a city unless they were in a zoo. :)

While we were kangaroo-less in Sydney's CBD, we read in the newspaper that Canberra was having a problem with cars getting hit downtown by 'roos. Canberra must have a lot of empty space right in the center. ;) Is that the equivalent of hot air in DC?

While we were kangaroo-less in Sydney's CBD, we read in the newspaper that Canberra was having a problem with cars getting hit downtown by 'roos. Canberra must have a lot of empty space right in the center. ;) Is that the equivalent of hot air in DC?

Yep Canberra has a lot of hot air.

It also has a lot of open space, not so much in the middle but between suburbs and they do have a 'roo problem, they have a cull pretty much every year, which always starts screaming and yelling.

The biggest empty space though is between the politicians ears, but I suspect that applies in most countries.

How about lift and elevator...

Hood and trunk...

Sweater and Jumper ?

The list goes on.

No one is right and no one is wrong. It is interesting differences in our cultures. It's all good. :)

If one is hungry in a restaurant, they need only order more food. :D

And remember "pants " in UK English are under garments and not trousers 😄

I'll admit that until I looked at Australia in Google Earth I don't think I realized how big it is.

I did however know that I wasn't going to run into any kangaroos or koalas in a city unless they were in a zoo. :) And I did try to learn some phrases, etc. so I didn't sound like a "dumb American".

Absolutely loved Australia and NZ, by the way.

I think this is a common misconception about Australia, and to be honest you don't expect a country with only 23 million people to be the same size as the USA.

My brother had a funny story from when he visited the US. He was trying to explain the time zones and how Australia is x hours ahead of the USA and when it's Saturday in the US it's Sunday in Australia. This person looked at him seriously and said "well if it's the future in Australia then why the hell didn't you warn us about 9/11????"

On the different meanings for words, one of the more hilarious ones is thongs, which is what we call flip flops. That gets lots of stange looks from Americans when you talk about how you're just going to wear thongs most days on the cruise because they're more comfortable :D

Err, no. Your UK friends have been learning some pretty bad habits from you ;)

Appetiser (sorry, can't sink to spelling it your way :p)

JB :)

Why would you be sinking to spell it their way? Is the American way of spelling it somehow crass, uncouth or offensive?

This post reminds me of a utube video by two musicians from Chile, singing about the differences in word meanings in Spanish .. Of course now that I'm looking for it I can't find the link.

But it was hysterical ... The differences between Chilean Spanish, and many other Spanish-speaking countries, and the often off-color meanings of words when the same language is spoken by people of different cultures. The video had English subtitles for those who didn't speak any Spanish dialect.

Idioms can make all of us look like idiots!

Don't feel too bad about the geography thing; those of us who live in the state of New Mexico are routinely complimented on how well we speak English, told we need passports to travel to Atlanta and occasionally receive packages from the US Postal Service with customs declaration stickers sent from New York. We would like to think they just didn't hear the 'New' when we tell them where we're from.....but even National Geographic has misplaced us on a few maps.

Don't feel bad - on several occasions TSA agents have asked for passports from residents of Washington, D.C. because they can only accept drivers license ID from residents of the United States, and we all know DC isn't a state ... Just the Capital of the country.

Err, no. Your UK friends have been learning some pretty bad habits from you ;)

Appetiser (sorry, can't sink to spelling it your way :p) in the US, starter in the UK, entrée in France

<snip>

JB :)

Speaking of not always understanding the same language as spoken by people from different countries.......

When I see posts that begin with "err", as above, I never know what that means. Could someone explain what the "err" is about?

Thanks. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Speaking of not always understanding the same language as spoken by people from different countries.......

When I see posts that begin with "err", as above, I never know what that means. Could someone explain what the "err" is about?

Thanks. :)

It's an expression indicating a grunt or sound, like Arghh or mmmm.

A form of a grammatical expression called Onomatopoeia

Not to be confused with "err" a verb meaning to make a mistake, which is frequently confused with "error" a noun meaning a mistake

Edited by herbanrenewal

It's an expression indicating a grunt or sound, like Arghh or mmmm.

A form of a grammatical expression called Onomatopoeia

Not to be confused with "err" a verb meaning to make a mistake, which is frequently confused with "error" a noun meaning a mistake

Thank you. :)

Don't feel too bad about the geography thing; those of us who live in the state of New Mexico are routinely complimented on how well we speak English, told we need passports to travel to Atlanta and occasionally receive packages from the US Postal Service with customs declaration stickers sent from New York. We would like to think they just didn't hear the 'New' when we tell them where we're from.....but even National Geographic has misplaced us on a few maps.

So very true. I have a Tshirt that says, New Mexico -- not really new, not really Mexico.

I'm enjoying this thread since I never knew that to some people entree means appetizers rather than main course.

Why do we call it 'entree' in U.S.? :D

Why do You call it 'main'? :D

It is what it is. :)

Why do we say 'restroom or bathroom' and UK says 'Loo'? :shrug:

The variety makes the world more fun.

My step-daughter's SO is Irish but has lived in Australia the past twenty years where she lives. They recently went on an overnight trip. He complained that she had forgotten to pack his jocks but hadn't forgotten to pack her own knickers. I almost needed a translation. :rolleyes:

Obviously there are many variations in our Englisg language. If I am making a Christmas pie and go to the store to buy mince meat I don't expect to get ground steak. But that is what I'd probably get in Australia.

And biscuit there is what we call a cookie.

The variety of differences is interesting.

Like 'entree' and 'beverage'...or soft drink.

Nobody orders those things. They don't say 'I'll have a coke for a beverage.'

We do use appetizer and dessert, though.

They say Coke when ordering a soda in Louisville, KY. When I ask for a coke, I mean not a Pepsi. My favorite was when I heard a young girl ask for a "Clear Coke." That is messed up. :)

I grew up in Michigan, but I call carbonated beverages "Soda," my sister calls it "pop." Go figure.

Did a little googling and found the site I was referring to:

http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/faq.htm

Oh' date=' and don't be taking a sip from any beverage while reading this. I don't want to be responsible for any messed up keyboards or monitors.[/quote']

I loved this one, spluttered all over the place

Q: Please send a list of all doctors in Australia who can dispense rattlesnake serum. (USA)

A: Rattlesnakes live in A-meri-ca which is where YOU come from. All Australian snakes are perfectly harmless, can be safely handled and make good pets.

In case anyone doesn't know Australia has, from memory 7 of the world's 10 deadliest snakes.

Another different one we have here is lemonade. In the US lemonade is essentially lemon flavoured water, but here lemonade is what we call a carbonated drink like 7up, you know a clear, lemony limy kind of flavour. What you call lemonade we would call lemon cordial, but its not that popular here as a drink, not like in the US where its that go to refreshing summer drink. Here you have all different flavoured cordials, that come in a concentrated syrup and you mix cold water with it in a jug. http://www.cottees.com.au

Lemon was always the flavour that annoyed you when Mum bought it home in the shopping, you always wanted raspberry :)

Great thread. I was once asked (I'm Canadian) if we lived in an igloo. Dead serious.

I grew up in Alaska. In a cruise ship port town. So we constantly got all of those.