Hollywood Ale House? Uber-Pier and FLL?

Bruin Steve

In about two weeks, we'll be back in Fort Lauderdale for another cruise...

We usually have ended up staying at the Springhill Suites in Dania for one reason or another (Marriott points, for example), but this time, we'll be across the street at the Hampton Inn. We've often had a rental car (having flown into MIA), but this time, we're flying in to FLL so we'll just take the hotel shuttle from FLL...and, we plan on just lounging around the hotel--no need to do any sightseeing or shopping. So, the only real question is where to eat. When we haven't had a car, we've just eaten in the Oakwood Center--convenient enough...at Sal's--though we even just had McDonald's one trip. The other restaurants there--like TGI Friday's and Red Lobster--are things we can get anywhere--even near our house back here in SoCal (yes, I know Sal's is a chain--but not in our area...and I am aware Hollywood Ale House is one of several as well--but, again, not near us)...So, the question is: Is Hollywood Ale House any good? Worth going to for a casual pre-cruise dinner?

Second question: I am an Uber newbie...I have heard that the Hampton has a shuttle to the pier--but charges $10 per person. How much would Uber charge to go from this hotel to the pier? Or do they even do that in Fort Lauderdale? And, how about the ride back from the pier to FLL (We have a 1:45 pm flight on disembarkation day)...

Thanks...

Well as a fellow Bruin (Water Polo is the new basketball:D:cool: and GO WBB!) to another, this is a chain place. decent pub grub. But in an area of the country with really good craft beers (Funky Buddha is close by, Due South up the road, Wynwood and Wakefield just down the road in Miami, they have ZERO Florida craft beers on tap or in bottles/cans.:( Good friendly barkeep though.

Look into Urban Café (mid-Eastern)or Las Vegas Cuban both near your hotel.:) Folks living in FLL area will probably chime in on other options that don't involve too long a distance or taxi ride.

And have a great cruise!:)

In about two weeks, we'll be back in Fort Lauderdale for another cruise...

We usually have ended up staying at the Springhill Suites in Dania for one reason or another (Marriott points, for example), but this time, we'll be across the street at the Hampton Inn. We've often had a rental car (having flown into MIA), but this time, we're flying in to FLL so we'll just take the hotel shuttle from FLL...and, we plan on just lounging around the hotel--no need to do any sightseeing or shopping. So, the only real question is where to eat. When we haven't had a car, we've just eaten in the Oakwood Center--convenient enough...at Sal's--though we even just had McDonald's one trip. The other restaurants there--like TGI Friday's and Red Lobster--are things we can get anywhere--even near our house back here in SoCal (yes, I know Sal's is a chain--but not in our area...and I am aware Hollywood Ale House is one of several as well--but, again, not near us)...So, the question is: Is Hollywood Ale House any good? Worth going to for a casual pre-cruise dinner?

Second question: I am an Uber newbie...I have heard that the Hampton has a shuttle to the pier--but charges $10 per person. How much would Uber charge to go from this hotel to the pier? Or do they even do that in Fort Lauderdale? And, how about the ride back from the pier to FLL (We have a 1:45 pm flight on disembarkation day)...

Thanks...

http://uberestimate.com/

Says it should be $10-12 from your hotel ....

can't help with the restaurant.

I have always had a good meal at any of the Ale House locations, and have been to Hollywood Ale House a number of times. Great place to watch sports, lots of TVs, really good beer and cocktail specials everyday, and good food at reasonable prices. Not fine dining or gourmet food, but consistent.

Another place not far from Oakwood is The Field, a locals Irish Pub, on Griffin Road. Most nights there is live music, full bar, and menu. Decent food at reasonable prices.

Edited by brunello22

I love the Ale House and The Field. An Uber to/from The Field couldn't cost too much, it's less than 3 miles.

I took an Uber from the port to my house and there was a small port surcharge...it cost about $30 to go 8 miles in an XL (ordered an XL because we had 2 large suitcases.

I know it's a completely different direction in food and drink from a pub with beer, but when in FLL I find every possible reason to go to the Mai Kai on North Federal in Oakland Park for amazing tiki drinks, good food and the most incredible, immersive old school tiki experience you'll ever have today. Happy hour has good drink and pupu prices as well, with 50% off most pupus and drinks from 5-7.

It's not necessarily cheap, and it's about 12 miles from your hotel, but for the experience it's well worth it to me. Uber X will run about $20, give or take, each way, from your hotel.

Just my $.02.