Need help on Boston - got a few ideas

Gingee

I have been looking for hotels for July. This is what I come up with:

Newberry Guest House $687 for three nights before tax

Courtyard by Marriott $717 for three nights before tax

Omni - $777 for three nights before tax

Embassy Suites - Logan airport $199 a night - suite - breakfast included

Okay, we are spending the time before the cruise to see Boston. Embassy has good prices and reviews but next to the airport. Noisy? Too far from cruise terminal and such?

Omni - old and small rooms

Any experience with these?

Gingee,

I am going to repeat the advice I gave before.

1). It's still early for next July.

2) Being close to the cruise terminal for your two days of sightseeing is not important. On the last night you may want to stay closer to the cruise terminal to minimize transportation costs.

2). Make a cancellable reservation you can live with now.

3) Hotwire or Priceline is consistently a good resource for a hotel deal in Boston. Hotwire lists all the hotel amenities and you can usually narrow down the possibilities to one or two hotels. You can also buy trip insurance on your purchase for a few dollars more. This can protect you against unforeseen trip cancellation just like your cruise insurance will do for the cruise.

None of the hotels you list excite me.

This morning I am seeing a 4* Back Bay/Copley hotel for $163 for July 19-21. This hotel has a 95% approval rating, which is extraordinarily high. This is a great deal in the location area we often recommend for stays of more than 1 night. This hotel is likely to be the Colonnade or the Copley Westin. It's a 4* hotel in a very posh area of town, so you will not be disappointed. With tax it's about $200/night.

For July 28 I am seeing the same 4* Back Bay hotel for $164. I am also seeing our favorite 4* Waterfront hotel for $189 ($227 with tax) This is likely to be the Westin Waterfront. More expensive than Back Bay, but cabs will be less expensive, so it's almost a wash. This hotel is several blocks from the pier, so you can just drop off your bags and go. You can also take the Silver Line bus if you can manage your luggage.

The bottom line is that by using Hotwire you can get 3 nights in a 4* Boston hotel for $600 INCLUDING tax and for a few dollars more your can insure your purchase. It isn't going to get much better than that.

Before you finalize your payment, they offer it to you as an add on. Sometimes I take it, sometimes I don't. I once booked 5 nights in Portland when we visited our daughter. My husband was up in the air about going so I bought the insurance for a little more money. I was going regardless, but if only I went, there was room for me to stay with DD. I did it more for the peace of mind.

If your intention is to tour Boston, don't stay by the airport. You'd be schlepping yourself to town to begin touring. If the Omni you are referring to is the Parker House, yes, its old, and the rooms are small, but it is a historic hotel, home of the Boston Creme Pie. Which Courtyard are you referring to, Tremont St, or the one in Dorchester? If its Dorchester, stay away.

Hello. I have a cruise booked out of Boston on the Brilliance of the Seas for Oct. 13, 2013 and am just beginning to research. I really appreciate all the advice you guys give since I've never been to Boston and am totally uneducated (at present) about the different areas of the city. We will fly in one day early and would like to see as much as we can. I'm sure the time we have won't allow a lot. So, when I'm checking Hotwire and Priceline or LMT, if I read your comments correctly, I should look at Back Bay/Copley or the Waterfront area? I realize that the Waterfront area doesn't have as much to see but is very close to the pier.

What areas of Boston would you say that a first time visitor should make sure to see?

Would LOVE your advice!

Macy

1025 - I have not made flight arrangements yet, but I hope to fly in by noon. So, I'm thinking that we'll have the afternoon and evening to see the typical "touristy" things that most Bostonians would suggest are on the must see list (if there is such a creature). I realize that's a short amount of time, but I'd like to see some historical things and have a nice dinner. If you have a better idea, please feel free to suggest!

Macy

Being close to the pier is nice if you arrive late the night before and aren't going to have much time to sleep and get to the ship. If you have a whole day (or nearly so), I think you should stay in the thick of things, and that means Copley/Back Bay (or near Faneuil Hall/North End), instead of the Seaport district, which is the waterfront near the pier (there's also waterfront near the North End which is a good place to stay)

I agree. Stay in the city near Copley/Back Bay. You'll be in easy walking distance of a number of sights. You have so little time and Boston has so much to see.

You can visit the Public Garden, walk by the Make Way for Ducklings statute, visit Cheers (where everyone knows your name), walk thru Beacon Hill and go to the Esplanade to see the Charles River. If you have time you can take the subway (called the T) from the Charles St/MGH stop (that's on the far edge of Beacon Hill and near the River) over to Cambridge to walk around Harvard Square. The ride over the Charles is always pretty and you get a good view of the city.

Go see the John Singer Sargent murals at the Boston Public Library, stop in Trinity Church (across Copley Sq. from the Library) or walk to and around the North End (the Italian district) where you can see Old North Church and Paul Revere's House, and make sure you stop for a pastry. YUM!

Near the Black Falcon Terminal is the Harpoon Brewery. They do tours. A fun way to start your trip.

With limited time I would suggest people avoid "Cheers". It looks nothing like the one on TV (just the exterior shot was used). It is strictly a tourist trap selling T shirts and shot glasses which can be purchased elsewhere.

Okay I am getting confused. Kind of zoning in on Marriott but there are two. One Copley square and the other one close. Which is the better one as far as the attractions? Anyone know how far from cruise terminal and Amtrak south station?

There is the Marriott Long Wharf on the waterfront and the Copley Marriott in Copley Square. They are both in the thick of it and accessible to all of the visitor attractions. Living in the South End I am partial to the Copley Marriott as I prefer the neighborhood. The waterfront can be quite the mob scene on weekends and abuts the financial district which really isn't a neighborhood.

Boston is expensive. You may find a deal here or there, but otherwise, yes, it is expensive. I have stayed at the Long Wharf. It is a nice hotel, right by Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market Place. The Marriot Copley will be downtown, with more buildings around it. You will need to take the subway (Orange line to State) if you are looking to go Faneuil Hall. From both locations, you would take a taxi to the cruise terminal.

Boston is expensive. You may find a deal here or there, but otherwise, yes, it is expensive. I have stayed at the Long Wharf. It is a nice hotel, right by Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market Place. The Marriot Copley will be downtown, with more buildings around it. You will need to take the subway (Orange line to State) if you are looking to go Faneuil Hall. From both locations, you would take a taxi to the cruise terminal.

You can also take the Green line, either Prudential or Copley to Government Center or to Haymarket

Archived