ms Oosterdam Tampa Sail-Away April 7, 2017

Boytjie

Well, my first time watching a ship leave Tampa, expected more. Is there supposed to be a webcam person? Spoiled at Ft Lauderdale I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With no mic the Tampa sailings are not as good as the PE/FLL. :(

Trailing tug is not pushing so she must be under own power. NW wind 17 mph so wonder if that's enough they need the extra help in the narrow channel. Normally the ships can handle anything without assistance. Noticed the really tight pass by the cargo ship. Maybe it's a traffic thing.

Guessing regular camera person went home and someone else is filling in but not devoting full attention to it.

Trailing tug is not pushing so she must be under own power. NW wind 17 mph so wonder if that's enough they need the extra help in the narrow channel. Normally the ships can handle anything without assistance. Noticed the really tight pass by the cargo ship. Maybe it's a traffic thing.

I was wondering about this, too. Doesn't seem to be too much of a breeze on land.

Hope you had a great cruise, Carole! What's next?

A 12-day train trip with Road Scholar in June from Montreal to Vancouver and then finish with a western states train trip from Seattle to Chicago on The Empire Builder and then on home on a familiar route [Chi to Wash DC and Wash DC to Jacksonville]. A bucket list fulfillment. :D

A 12-day train trip with Road Scholar in June from Montreal to Vancouver and then finish with a western states train trip from Seattle to Chicago on The Empire Builder and then on home on a familiar route [Chi to Wash DC and Wash DC to Jacksonville]. A bucket list fulfillment. :D

Great time of the year to be traveling through Canada and the Rockies. On the way home be sure to take a peek out of the window at Ashland, VA (you might even stop for a minute or two).

The smoke is going straight south and both tugs are still there, probably to help her turn into the wind. I guess she just needed them for the narrowest part, no wind help needed once the channel is wide enough. JMO

Great time of the year to be traveling through Canada and the Rockies. On the way home be sure to take a peek out of the window at Ashland, VA (you might even stop for a minute or two).

I've been on that train several times - I'll have to notice, now.

Thanks the last of Oosterdam for a while, she'll be back in FLL on Nov 4 for one visit and then head back to her Mexican Riviera itinerary until she comes back the end of March, before heading for Europe.

Bye-Bye. Nice crew.

Hi St Pete Cruiser.

My mom & I were also headed to Ft. DeSoto to see the "O" on her way out after we watched her from Davis Island after her 1 hour late departure. But we calculated the time it would be by the time she would have made it out under the Skyway to cruise by Ft. DeSoto along with the 275 closure due to the fire and didn't make the drive. The traffic was awful so we stopped for dinner and came home. Had we gone it also would have been dark by then and I was wanting to take pictures. I think by then parts of Ft. DeSoto where we were headed would have been closed for the night. Oh well. At least I was able to get what I did today and we also went down to the North Skyway fishing pier last Friday when she sailed at 4 pm and went under the bridge at 6:20 pm so still lots of daylight for pictures

Yeah here on CC I am more of a reader than a poster.

R. J..

76 cruises on HAL at the age of 52

1,122 days at sea on 14 different DAM SHIPS

700 day Platinum Medallion holder

5 Maiden Voyages (Ryndam,Veendam,Volendam, Zaandam & Amsterdam)

September 24, 2004 Rotterdam Trans Atlantic Hurricane Karl survivor

8/6/17 Northern Isles - Koningsdam

12/23/17 Christmas & New Years - Nieuw Amsterdam (Celebrating 30 years at sea in a row for the holidays. All on the Dam Ships)

If Holland America doesn't go there, WE DON'T GO!