West End Theaters in London

I know this is a cruise board but I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and give me a simple answer because I simply can't find one hunting and pecking online.

The night before we embark on our UK Isles cruise we are taking in a show at the Apollo Victoria theater ... Wicked at 7:30 pm on a Monday night in July.

My question is, how early should we arrive at the theater? I'm assuming that if it is like The Straz here in Tampa, FL, USA they want you seated X number of minutes prior to show start.

Thanks for the assist. I've looked over all of the theater websites ... not just the Apollo Victoria ... and there doesn't seem to be any guidance on this. We have outside seats so reaching our assigned location will not be a problem, but still I don't want to disturb other people or be rude in some way. Also, any particular dress code that I need to be aware of?

I know this is a cruise board but I'm hoping someone will take pity on me and give me a simple answer because I simply can't find one hunting and pecking online.

The night before we embark on our UK Isles cruise we are taking in a show at the Apollo Victoria theater ... Wicked at 7:30 pm on a Monday night in July.

My question is, how early should we arrive at the theater? I'm assuming that if it is like The Straz here in Tampa, FL, USA they want you seated X number of minutes prior to show start.

Thanks for the assist. I've looked over all of the theater websites ... not just the Apollo Victoria ... and there doesn't seem to be any guidance on this. We have outside seats so reaching our assigned location will not be a problem, but still I don't want to disturb other people or be rude in some way. Also, any particular dress code that I need to be aware of?

No such rules in London.

You can arrive any time prior to the start time of the show. The Appolo Victoria with it's 2300 seats is one of London's largest theatres so arriving 15 minuets before would make it comfortable for you.

doors usually open for the bars about an hour before the performance

There is a 5 minute bell before start time to warn people to take seats but most are seated about 15 minutes prior

Dress code is usually pretty casual as many people make a day out of it in London by shopping previously

Wear something comfortable. The days when people dressed up for the theatre are long gone.

I agree that 15 minutes will be long enough, but I would allow 30 so that I could have a drink in the bar first. Drinks at half time can be a bit of a scrum.

You probably wouldn't, but if you really want to annoy the performers and the rest of the audience, use your phone to film the show.

Wear something comfortable. The days when people dressed up for the theatre are long gone.

I agree that 15 minutes will be long enough, but I would allow 30 so that I could have a drink in the bar first. Drinks at half time can be a bit of a scrum.

You probably wouldn't, but if you really want to annoy the performers and the rest of the audience, use your phone to film the show.

Pre ordering drinks for the interval can reduce the scrum if you arrive for that early drink Bob++ suggests.

Please be assured - by now, I hope you are, you've received replies - that Ports of Call Boards are where you and other members may place your off-ship cruise related travel questions! We know there are land-based questions that so many people will have and we receive all types of questions. So glad you "took a chance" and posted your West End show question here - you came to the right place :)

As with a show in virtually any prominent theater culture, the preference is that everyone be comfortably seated prior to the curtain rising so that no one has an obstructed view once the play/show begins. Upon entering the theater, one is almost always directed left, right (and/or upstairs) and further assisted by an usher, quite often to ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible and shows go off without a hitch, on time.

As to the cell phones/mobiles...there would be ZERO tolerance for them in a London theatre and it is close to reaching that point on Broadway with many actors stopping mid-performance after a phone ring, text alert :eek: I believe one Broadway actor actually took a phone, then later returned it after the show was finished. Can't miss a call = use silent mode.

Remember the days when there were shows and NO portable phones? Ahhhh :D

Enjoy the show and if you don't forget we are here to help!

I want to thank everyone for the replies. Feeling much more comfortable about not making a dash to the hotel before going to the theater.

The Straz here in Tampa has some fairly strict theater employees. They aren't afraid of telling someone off or just flat out telling them to leave the theater if they are making a nuisance of themselves ... or if they are caught filming. Pictures before and after the performance are fine but they keep an eye out for people filming the performance during. Good grief, who would want to hold their phone that long?! :rolleyes:

I may throw in a pair of flats and a clean shirt into the ol' giant purse to change into after our full day of walking around London. Hubby might be "fresher" for a change of shirt as well.

Thanks for the encouragement. My husband - not particularly a theater lover like our daughters - really enjoyed Wicked in NYC and it was his idea to see it in London. If it catches his fancy I know it has to be a good show and I'm glad there will be less to be concerned about than I originally anticipated.

Me? I show up for the theatre for a 1930 curtain at about 1920 usually in my official tourist outfit of a clean t shirt, blue jeans sans holes and trainers (sneakers). Much more comfortable for me that way. Since I do not drink booze, I stop at a convenience store (lots of them in Victoria Station btw) to pick up my diet coke cherry, an aero bar and potato chips in the blue package for half time uh the interval as they call it. They do check bags but have never said anything about bringing refreshments. Prices inside the theatre are, of course, outrageous. At half time, they do set up ice cream sales in front of each aisle for £3.50 or more for a small cup. Outrageous.

London is somewhat less formal than NYC when it comes to these things but as noted above it ain't what it used to be.

Edited by MATHA531

Thanks for asking this question, it has been on my mind too, particularly the dress code. We are also attending the theatre and have a busy sightseeing day planned before, I was wondering if we should head back to our hotel and change, so I know have the answer to the question. Thanks for the replies!

FYI, people don't get dressed for the theater in NYC anymore either...well, some do, perhaps if they are having a special night out. But..no one is ever turned away for being casually dressed these days plus, many in the audience are visitors out & about touring the city all day. I'm sure producers are happier to have the seats sold to fewer formal dressed folks and just have fuller houses!

A newer development in stopping the cellphone intrusion is the Yondr pouch. It's been used at a few venues in the US and is gaining more momentum. One wonders if it might be a welcome addition to the theater world where mobiles have been intrusive to many performers and audience members? I'm sure combatting piracy is also high on artist/performers' interest in the technology too.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/startup-yondr-pouches-tackles-phone-addiction-helps-disconnect/

Glad to help - sounds like Tampa theater is just doing their bit to ensure everyone enjoys their experience :)

Adding the show to your London trip will make it very memorable and maybe having the chance to switch shoes, etc will help enhance the evening for you even more feeling refreshed a bit. It's going to be wonderful!