Flying to Seattle early September for AK cruise

flamomo

We have booked our air and are scheduled to arrive in Seattle about 5:30 PM the day before we embark at Pier 91.

We will need 2 rooms for 4 adults, and possible a 3rd room for an additional 2 adults if other family members decide to join us on the cruise. It would be good is there was either an on-site restaurant or one within reasonable walking distance.

No idea whether we should just stay in the airport area or somewhere closer to Pier 91. We'll be tired from a long day of travel, so won't be looking to go out sightseeing, and will be heading to the port the next morning.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Under the circumstances you describe, you will save a lot of money by staying out by SeaTac. I like the Doubletree, and Seattle Express will pick you up there and take you to Pier 91. You can make a reservation with Seattle Express online. Haven't compared their prices with Uber or Lyft, as the last time I used them I wasn't aware of Uber or Lyft. I've also stayed at the Hampton Inn on 28th Ave. and the Doubletree at Southcenter.

Roz

I second staying out at Sea Tac

We flew in the night before our September 2nd cruise last year and was scheduled to arrive at SeaTac at 8:15 from CLT. Our flight was delayed and we didn't land until close to midnight and got to the Best Western Seattle Airport around 1am. Much rather have that short 10-15 minute shuttle ride to the hotel than an hour ride to a Pier 91 area hotel.....

Consider the Radisson. It’s the most convenient hotel to the airport being directly across the street from the airport entrance. The hotel has its own restaurant and there are others within walking distance. 13 Coins is next door and Sharps Roasthouse is a couple blocks away.

I second staying out at Sea Tac

We flew in the night before our September 2nd cruise last year and was scheduled to arrive at SeaTac at 8:15 from CLT. Our flight was delayed and we didn't land until close to midnight and got to the Best Western Seattle Airport around 1am. Much rather have that short 10-15 minute shuttle ride to the hotel than an hour ride to a Pier 91 area hotel.....

Herfnerd, sorry to tag on here but I can't see if you can private message here. Did you like the Best Western? I have a reservation there in June and can't decide if I want to keep it or not. We are driving down from Vancouver post-cruise, checking in for 2 nights (great price, 149/night plus tax), sightseeing Seattle the next day, and then flying home. Plan on taking light rail into town (hope to walk to/from station if the airport shuttle won't take us to the one down the street), and Google street view makes the neighborhood look a little sketchy!

Herfnerd, sorry to tag on here but I can't see if you can private message here. Did you like the Best Western? I have a reservation there in June and can't decide if I want to keep it or not. We are driving down from Vancouver post-cruise, checking in for 2 nights (great price, 149/night plus tax), sightseeing Seattle the next day, and then flying home. Plan on taking light rail into town (hope to walk to/from station if the airport shuttle won't take us to the one down the street), and Google street view makes the neighborhood look a little sketchy!

The Best Western Seattle Airport is our Hotel of choice when we go into Seattle (4-5 times a year). The shuttle will drop you at the light rail station and even pick you up from it as well.

We have always felt secure at this property and the staff is top notch. They have one of the best free breakfasts I have had in many (30+) Best Western properties.

Pictures below:

IMG_1715.thumb.jpg.36f3be87066db9bd3b41faa90e1aaf79.jpg

IMG_1718.thumb.jpg.08e6a61bf2e790382717c0c4a16e3c3b.jpg

IMG_1716.thumb.jpg.b9966faee4c5da4e823e37ada90044d8.jpg

IMG_1717.thumb.jpg.c30938ce193ddf2fbfc50682f46e5b56.jpg

IMG_1714.thumb.jpg.5205b3b12ac919b8c1bd505cdf22bf39.jpg

IMG_1713.thumb.jpg.f09172b551dbdb6c27dfc458747f86a3.jpg

We usually stay at the Best Western Airport Or Sleep Inn.

The Best Western has a cafe that is open every Night for Dinner except Sundays. The last time we stayed there it was on a Sunday for a Cruise departing on Monday and they had a few menus that offer delivery service.

Sleep Inn has an ihop across the parking lot.

Both Seep Inn and Best Western you are able to use Seattle Express Shuttle to the ship. I already had a reservation to the ship from Seattle Express when I stayed at Best Western the last time, when we checked in they offered us shuttle to the ship for $15.00 per person.

Seattle Express folks, I've seen the price is extremely reasonable. We will be at the Hampton Inn on 28th, a pickup point for SE. Did the shuttle go to a number of hotels after you were picked up to pick up others? I know it also depends on where your hotel is in the line?

Sorry for the late reply!

To be honest, it was so late that as soon as we walked in the door to our room we fell asleep - even though it was around 1am local time, it felt more like 4am to us.

Room was nicely appointed and clean. Seemed to be in a decent area. Breakfast was not bad - not quite the Fairfield’s, Townplace and Springhill suites breakfast we’re used to but close.

We stayed a few days post cruise as well but opted to stay downtown so not sure how it is to use as a base to visit Seattle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we stay near SEATAC we book the Cedarbrook Lodge. It is incredibly close to the airport, but given the size of the grounds, doesn't feel like an "airport hotel." On site excellent restaurant. Shuttle to SEATAC and also the airport light rail link station if you desire to go downtown. Wonderful buffet breakfast included in the room rates with items such as smoked salmon.

The hotel rooms are in three buildings which are connected with covered walkways. Each of these buildings has what they term a "living room" -- a common room with gas fireplace, sofas, and refrigerators stocked with bottles of water, individual yogurts, bowl of fresh fruit and individual ice-cream cups.

Seattle Express folks, I've seen the price is extremely reasonable. We will be at the Hampton Inn on 28th, a pickup point for SE. Did the shuttle go to a number of hotels after you were picked up to pick up others? I know it also depends on where your hotel is in the line?

I have only taken Seattle Express twice. The first time there were 3 ships between pier 61 and 91. They had a separate shuttle for pier 61 and separate one for 91. We were picked up from the sleep inn and they made one stop at the Ramada after they picked us up. The shuttle bus was about a 30 man shuttle.

The second time we stayed at the Best Western and we were the last to be picked up. This was an 8 man shuttle and 6 other folks on it when we boarded. There was only one ship in port that day.

They have several shuttles that they use.

Also vote for staying by the airport. We were able to get a pair of very reasonable one way car rentals, National (Alamo enterprise) has a shuttle to and from the port. Coming in at 5:30, it will be nice to have the rental car and not be stranded at the hotel and maybe pick up some last minute items from the nearby Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a similar situation coming up in May. We are getting in late, but we'd like to see Seattle. I just booked a pre-cruise tour with Seattle Express. They are going to pick us up at our hotel the morning of the cruise, take us on a 3 hour sight seeing tour, and then drop us and our luggage off at the Pier. They will then pick us up when we return from our cruise and take us back to the airport. All of this for $75 per person. I thought it was a great deal and a fun way to see some of the city in our limited time there.

My daughter booked our hotel rooms at a hotel in the northern part of Seattle, thinking that would put us closer to Pier 91 for boarding the ship the following day. According to the map on the hotel's website, it's 21 miles from the airport. I'm concerned about the length of time it will take us to get to the hotel, after a long day of travel, flying between Florida and Seattle.

Any input from those familiar with Seattle would be helpful.

My daughter booked our hotel rooms at a hotel in the northern part of Seattle, thinking that would put us closer to Pier 91 for boarding the ship the following day. According to the map on the hotel's website, it's 21 miles from the airport. I'm concerned about the length of time it will take us to get to the hotel, after a long day of travel, flying between Florida and Seattle.

Any input from those familiar with Seattle would be helpful.

The distance from SeaTac to Pier 91 is 16-18 miles and to Pier 66 is 15-17 miles depending on the route. I'd much rather stay by the airport than drive another hour or so after a long flight.......

There always seems to be a lot of traffic coming into Seattle, especially on the weekends.

Roz

Sent from my SM-S820L using Forums mobile app

I was hoping that because it was a weekend day (Saturday) when we arrive (5:30pm), the traffic getting thru Seattle wouldn't be as bad as week day afternoon rush hour. We'll be taking a taxi, so at least someone who knows the city will be behind the wheel, but I'm still not thrilled with having that great a distance between SeaTac and the hotel.

According to my daughter, when she called the hotel to reserve the rooms. she was told it's 8 miles from the hotel to pier 91. I do know the hotel is a few miles farther north than pier 91.

My daughter booked our hotel rooms at a hotel in the northern part of Seattle, thinking that would put us closer to Pier 91 for boarding the ship the following day.

I'm with the others above - while it might be closer to the pier you have to drive ~25 miles through Seattle to get to it and you're paying for that cab/uber/lyft in potentially still busy traffic. Given the multiple shuttle companies running from around Seatac hotels to both piers you will also likely save money, and not waste much extra time, taking one of those from Seatac compared to having to book your own transport from what I'm guessing is one of the pack of cheap motels around Aurora Ave north of 130th. Not a lot of nice walkable things to do, restos etc...

I'd stick to Seatac unless you can book a hotel that's actually in the city (Seattle Center/Queen Anne is about as convenient as it gets for Pier 91 - only a couple of miles for the hotels around there and many have wee shuttle buses coming and going all morning to the pier for cheap. For two a cab is only $10-15 depending which hotel though).

I'm with the others above - while it might be closer to the pier you have to drive ~25 miles through Seattle to get to it and you're paying for that cab/uber/lyft in potentially still busy traffic. Given the multiple shuttle companies running from around Seatac hotels to both piers you will also likely save money, and not waste much extra time, taking one of those from Seatac compared to having to book your own transport from what I'm guessing is one of the pack of cheap motels around Aurora Ave north of 130th. Not a lot of nice walkable things to do, restos etc...

I'd stick to Seatac unless you can book a hotel that's actually in the city (Seattle Center/Queen Anne is about as convenient as it gets for Pier 91 - only a couple of miles for the hotels around there and many have wee shuttle buses coming and going all morning to the pier for cheap. For two a cab is only $10-15 depending which hotel though).

Actually, it's NOT a cheap motel ( aka "dump"), and has many great reviews on Trip Advisor.

There is a restaurant right across the parking lot that also has many very positive reviews. The included breakfast in the hotel is reported by past guests to be quite good. Those are all pluses.

That being said I'm still not particularly happy with the long drive in a pricy taxi to get to it after a long travel day. Not sure what I'm going to do about it, but finding something in the SeaTac area would be MY preference. I think I'm going to have to try to have a diplomatic chat with my daughter. ;)