Icon class - what do we know about it!?

There's a Wikipedia page for that; not much on it right now, but it says at 200,000 gross tonnes, it'll be smaller than Oasis-class but larger than Quantum-class. Entered service date 2022, so looks like it'll be awhile before it's a concern. Cruise Critic has an Oct. 2016 article claiming it's likely to have about 5,000 passengers.

I get the impression from poking around online that RCI hasn't released a lot of details about what features Icon-class will have. I wonder if they've decided? Right now, they've got opportunity to take a long, hard look at how the customer base reacts to Oasis-class vs. Quantum-class offerings.

Which raises a question. Oasis-class ships are limited to a much smaller number of Caribbean ports than smaller ships due to the depth required around the pier to dock the ship, and having too many passengers to tender. So, if you cruise Oasis of the Seas you can enjoy Central Park, Boardwalk, AquaTheater shows and 2 Flow Riders, but if you 'down-size' to Adventure of the Seas (Voyager-class), you might enjoy a more interesting Southern Caribbean port-intensive itinerary.

Freedom-class seem to have more latitude in ports to visit than Oasis-class. What about Quantum-class? And I wonder where Icon-class will fall?

For new cruisers it's not such a big deal, but seasoned cruisers who've been to St. Thomas, St. Martin, Nassau & Cozumel a few times, well...

Richard.

• 4 months later...
There's a Wikipedia page for that; not much on it right now, but it says at 200,000 gross tonnes, it'll be smaller than Oasis-class but larger than Quantum-class. Entered service date 2022, so looks like it'll be awhile before it's a concern. Cruise Critic has an Oct. 2016 article claiming it's likely to have about 5,000 passengers.

For new cruisers it's not such a big deal, but seasoned cruisers who've been to St. Thomas, St. Martin, Nassau & Cozumel a few times, well...

Richard.

DW and I are about to embark on our 24th cruise. We’ve only NOW made it to St. Thomas (last month), and have never sailed to St. Martin. So that is a generalization ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I get the impression from poking around online that RCI hasn't released a lot of details about what features Icon-class will have. I wonder if they've decided? Right now, they've got opportunity to take a long, hard look at how the customer base reacts to Oasis-class vs. Quantum-class offerings.

Which raises a question. Oasis-class ships are limited to a much smaller number of Caribbean ports than smaller ships due to the depth required around the pier to dock the ship, and having too many passengers to tender. So, if you cruise Oasis of the Seas you can enjoy Central Park, Boardwalk, AquaTheater shows and 2 Flow Riders, but if you 'down-size' to Adventure of the Seas (Voyager-class), you might enjoy a more interesting Southern Caribbean port-intensive itinerary.

Freedom-class seem to have more latitude in ports to visit than Oasis-class. What about Quantum-class? And I wonder where Icon-class will fall?

Richard.

Oasis and freedom class have the basically the same draught

Right around 30’

Liberty is 29.6 and harmony is 30.6.

It’s the length that limits it

DW and I are about to embark on our 24th cruise. We’ve only NOW made it to St. Thomas (last month), and have never sailed to St. Martin. So that is a generalization ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Of course it is a generalization but there is a lot of truth to it.

OP never said all seasoned cruisers have been to those ports.

Having been to St. Thomas a fair number of times in the Navy, there's nothing I left there I need to go back for. St. Croix was nice, but I don't see it on many Itineraries. St. Maarten never did get to, and a few of the other Caribbean islands I haven't been to either.

• 10 months later...
On 11/4/2017 at 7:44 PM, drrich2 said:

Richard.

Now at 232,500 GT?!

mw schedule from shipyard 232500.jpg

mw schedule from shipyard 232500 zoom in.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555