Majesty, 4 night Key West & Cuba

bulldogmommy

Just back from our little adventure that honestly was all about getting to see Cuba. We booked this trip less than 2 months ago with another couple. We are all 56-47 and very active, low key peeps. We are Diamond Members.

We left Nola after a canceled night flight in the morning of the cruise (thank you Southwest, I luv u). Embarking was a breeze. I will say if you are going to Cuba, make sure you fill out your two copies of the Cuba forms Royal Caribbean provides to speed up your process. OH, everyone seems to panic about the paperwork what to check off... it really is NOT a big deal, if you going with Royal for an excursion, check that box, if not, check you are doing a third party tour.

We were on the ship and in our cabin at 1 pm. It's been a long time since we booked an inside cabin and while yes, it is small, for 4 days it was absolutely fine. FYI, we were in Cabin 5095... an amazing location for this ship. Nicole was our attendant and she was lovely.

We were having lunch by about 2pm and the choices in the Windjammer were adequate and fresh. We found this to hold true for the entire voyage. Nice breakfast and lunch options.

I'll cover ship impressions next.

Almost 20 years ago, we honeymooned on the Monarch of the Seas, Majesty's sister ship. I was a little excited to revisit this class of ship after sailing many class offerings from Royal and Celebrity. I can tell you I was honestly not disappointed. I thought for an old girl, she was kept in very good condition. Now, could you find some wear on her, of course you can... if those little things are a problem for you, I would advise you sail on a new and bigger ship.

I really enjoyed the throwback to the Centrum gathering days where all the ships activities and gathering points were located.

But what really made this ship was the staff! It has been years since I had such a fine level of service with such pride. We got to know our attendant, waiters and chefs.

My only little critique would be to please change out the deck chairs on the upper levels to the mesh loungers. ProTip! The back of the ship has many areas to lounge without any crowds...

Food...

We inquired about the Chef's table on the first night. When we were informed it was sold out for the first night, Joseph our host, offered to set up our party of four in another room with the same service. We also received a nice discount as well. The night could not have been more special. Fernando our chef was so talented and personable. It is a night that will stay close to my heart. Wine was flowing FYI.

Our main dining room service was the best in many cruises and I found the food to be presented at warmer temps and fresher. Another advantage I would believe from a smaller ship and less food venues.

We had breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer, which was good. The venue was clean and service was polite. I would recommend serving on Deck 11 and taking the stairs up to Deck 12 for a much quieter meal.

Sorrentos pizza was hot and decent. Compass Deli was good for a late dinner the night we were in Cuba. We did not do Johnny Rockets this trip.

Key West

We were given a little extra time in Key West... nice bonus. We had no organized day. We headed off the ship and took the traditional ship in dock pictures. We spent the day adventuring around Key West on foot to find some of the old houses to take pictures.

We ate some lunch at a hut I had read about on Trip Advisor, The Conch Shack... not much to look at but very good conch fritters and their hand cut fries did not disappoint.

Had some key lime pie at Kermit's... cause when in Rome... right?

Nice leisurely day

For the main course, the whole reason for the trip.... CUBA!!

Cuba was everything and more I was hoping it to be... We had a fantastic day. For twenty years of cruising by Cuba and wondering why can't we stop there? I was so happy to finally put my feet on Cuban soil.

I will say like I say for any port... I was so happy to be leaving the large tour buses behind and going independent with our own tour. I had done some homework on the Cuban boards and trip advisor. Being that my husband is a photographer and creative director, I went with I Love Cuba Photo Tours. Absolutely, positively the correct decision for our party. I'll get back to that...

I know lots of people have questions about customs, etc.

Let's cover that next...

First, don't miss pulling into Havanna at sunrise! It was spectacular!

If you are leaving on a Royal tour, you will meet in one location. If you are leaving independently, we met in Boleros and they periodically let people off the ship to not jam up customs with too many people at one time.

You must bring your Visa you received at check in filled out according to the step by step instructions Royal Caribbean will provide. Americans... you must enter your birth date by European fashion (date, month, year). And your passport!

You will go in line with an agent, get your book stamped, take a picture and off you go!

Next, exchange your money for CUC's, again easy step and then you can hit the street!

It is really an easy process and nothing to worry about...

If you have an independent tour, chances are you are meeting across the street in San Francisco square by the fountain. Your guide will have a sheet of paper with your name on it!

We spent our day touring all over Havana at so many historical spots and monuments. We had lunch in a local home restaurant. We purchased cigars and rum. We even had a chance to go into "real" Havana in the neighborhoods to walk the streets. Our tour was a total of 6 hours, 5 in a classic car hardtop with AC and one hour in a convertible. Our guide Rey, was a photo journalist who spoke perfect English. I cannot wait to travel back and see Rey again.

We still had plenty of time after the official tour to walk the port area, take photos, stop by a little watering hole for cocktails and a snack. At last it was time to board (we were one of the last)...

It was no different than any other port to board.

Make sure you go on deck to watch the Havana lights as you pull out!

It was an amazing day with some amazing people.

Hi BDM - On this same cruise for my Wifes 50Th on October 20. Never been on this class of ship but so looking forward to it and your initial thoughts are making me feel good about the choice. Staying in a JS on deck 10. Cant wait to read more...

I really think, you will absolutely love it. As a suite guest, you will have access to the cocktail hour in the Viking Crown and other perks. Always a nice touch when sailing with Royal. I wish I could jump back on the ship with you! Enjoy

Just to finish up, we had a last day at sea... I don't think I need to go into detail about that...

A little FYI, the cruise director does a Q&A the day before Cuba about filling out forms, customs, procedures and advise for on shore which is a good preview for those with questions.

For those who are nervous, rest assure... it's not that different than going to other ports with the exception of customs, which is very simple.

To disembark, we choose to pull our luggage off the ship and were in a cab and at the airport sitting at our gate by 8:30 am for an 11:20 am flight.

I am left wanting more Cuba and ready to go back and see more of the people and culture.

Thanks for a great review. I am considering an "all Cuba" cruise with stops in Cienfuegos and Santiago. My big concern is that once you've seen one Cuban city, you've seen them all. Any thoughts? Was one day in Havana enough, or would a few more days in other Cuban ports be interesting? Thanks.

We are considering Majesty in NOV. I'm concerned about the beds since I have back issues. Are the bed newer? In good condition? What did you think?

Thanks

Happy Sailing!

So, I thought they were fine, but my friends did complain about their mattress. I will say from past experience, if you do have an issue, ask your steward for a mattress topper and they will be happy to assist. Have a great cruise.

Thank you so much for all of the info! We are sailing next Saturday, 9/22, on the Majesty to Key West and Cuba and your posts have definitely eased my worries over customs in Cuba!

Happy to help, I'm so ready to go back to Cuba... you will the people gracious and ready to host you.

Thanks for a great review. I am considering an "all Cuba" cruise with stops in Cienfuegos and Santiago. My big concern is that once you've seen one Cuban city, you've seen them all. Any thoughts? Was one day in Havana enough, or would a few more days in other Cuban ports be interesting? Thanks.

I am so ready to book the 8 night all Cuba cruise! For me, NO... one day was not enough. It was plenty for Havana, but I would love to see more of the country. And really it was so about the people... I miss them so much already. Maybe our paths will cross on that 8 night cruise!

Thanks for the review!! Leaving Saturday and was a little nervous for the entire process. Feel much better now. When you changed your currency over did you feel you had enough or to much?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

you know, it depends on what you want to do and/or purchase... To give you an idea... I paid our guide (100 CUCs), bought a piece of art, 2 bottles of rum, a couple of souvenirs, had lunch in a home restaurant, and drinks and snacks at a little restaurant... converted $300 for the day and had just enough!

Hope this helps