Special Needs at Sea: Pickup device at Port of Miami Terminal B

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:15 AM.
#1
238 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I have a transport chair reserved from Special Needs at Sea for a Sept 30 cruise on NCL's Escape out of Miami.

The confirmation documents from Special Needs at Sea specify I am to pick up the transport chair at the Port of Miami Terminal B (and return it there, too).

First of all, I am assuming the Escape will be docked at Terminal B and secondly, what type of set-up does Special Needs at Sea have at Terminal B so I can locate them (ie, a kiosk or something...)?
#2
North West NJ
4,884 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Not sure what you mean by "what set up". Can you be a little more specific as to what you need please. I do have a question though for you. Is there a reason for renting a transport chair instead of a wheel chair? Do you realize you cannot wheel yourself anywhere and someone in your party (spouse) will have to push you 24/7?
#3
238 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by champagne123
Not sure what you mean by "what set up". Can you be a little more specific as to what you need please. I do have a question though for you. Is there a reason for renting a transport chair instead of a wheel chair? Do you realize you cannot wheel yourself anywhere and someone in your party (spouse) will have to push you 24/7?
By "set up" I meant is there a kiosk or area with a sign where Special Needs at Sea is set up in Terminal B where people pick up their rental equipment? It's a big terminal so I was just wanting to know what to look for.

The transport chair is for my husband. He has a Nitro rollator of his own that is fine, except when his legs get tired. After he gets tired of walking, I will push him in the transport chair. He had a wheelchair previously on another ship but he wants to try the transport chair (he tried out one at our local mobility store and he decided that was what he wanted to use on this cruise). We will be on the ship most of the time.
#4
122 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Unless otherwise specified, they deliver equipment to the ship. It is is placed in your cabin and you leave it there when you disembark. I recommend you call Special Needs at Sea and ask them directly so there are no misunderstandings. Enjoy your cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1991: Celebrity Horizon - Caribbean
1992: Celebrity Zenith - Caribbean
1996: HA Westerdam - Alaska
2008: Island Princess - Alaska; Enchantment of the Seas - Caribbean; Brilliance of the Seas - Mediterranean; Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean
2009: Explorer of the Seas - Caribbean
2010: Caribbean Princess - San Juan to NYC ; HA Veendam - Bermuda ; Caribbean Princess - Canada/New England
2011: Celebrity Silhouette - Holy Land
2012: Caribbean Princess - San Juan to NYC
2013: Celebrity Summit - Bermuda; Caribbean Princess - Canada/NE
2014: Island Princess - Panama Canal Eastbound; Quantum of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
2015: Norwegian Gem - Southern Caribbean
2016: Norwegian Gem - Florida & Bahamas
#5
6,635 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by kokopelli-az
I have a transport chair reserved from Special Needs at Sea for a Sept 30 cruise on NCL's Escape out of Miami.

The confirmation documents from Special Needs at Sea specify I am to pick up the transport chair at the Port of Miami Terminal B (and return it there, too).

First of all, I am assuming the Escape will be docked at Terminal B and secondly, what type of set-up does Special Needs at Sea have at Terminal B so I can locate them (ie, a kiosk or something...)?
SpecialNeedsatSea does have kiosk's at a few select ports. I It would serve you better to contact SpecialNeedsatSea as to the specific location rather than to post on this forum.
#6
238 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by xxoocruiser
SpecialNeedsatSea does have kiosk's at a few select ports. I It would serve you better to contact SpecialNeedsatSea as to the specific location rather than to post on this forum.
Thank you everyone. I have already been notified by Special Needs at Sea that the transport chair needs to be picked up and returned to Terminal B (Port of Miami) (NCL Escape). I was asking whether anyone who possibly has picked up equipment from them at the terminal in Miami knew if there was a kiosk or sign or something in Terminal B directing people to the Special Needs at Sea area. I just wanted to know what to be on the look out for so I could easily locate the Special Needs at Sea area.


xxoocruiser says they have a kiosk so I will be on the lookout.


PS: Special Needs at Sea told me that specifically for the Escape, equipment is picked up in the terminal. It is not delivered to your room.
#7
Pepsicola FL
10,444 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
just so he/you know: a transport chair sucks for anything more involved than going from say the car to the room. he will not be able to self propel/move himself, the smaller wheels make it more difficult to push over carpeting and up ramps and they are harder on the person doing the pushing. furthermore they are NOT comfortable for anything more than 15-20 minute stretches at a time.
#8
Pittsburgh, PA
408 Posts
Joined Aug 2005
We used Special Needs at Sea last September for a wheelchair when we boarded the Getaway last September.
Several things to consider:
Contact NCLs Access Team prior to cruising. They will make sure your cards are at terminal B. Once you do this, make sure you go to Terminal B even if your docs say to go to Terminal C.
A Special Needs at Sea rep was stationed right inside the terminal and he had the wheelchairs right past the security checkpoint. The guy was extremely helpful.

In the past when we’ve cruised other lines, the wheelchairs were already in the rooms but I liked this set up better. It was nice to have someone there to answer any questions we may have.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



Previous Cruises
Norwegian Escape - Western Caribbean - Sept 16, 2017
Norwegian Getaway - Western Caribbean - Sept 18, 2016
Norwegian Getaway
- Western Caribbean - May 2, 2015
Norwegian Dawn - Western Caribbean - Mar 9, 2014
Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean - Apr 21, 2012
Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Feb 21, 2011
Sapphire Princess - Alaska Northbound - May 16, 2009
Radiance of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - Mar 3, 2007
Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - Sept 11, 2005
Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas Family Cruise - Mar 7, 2005
Vision of the Seas - Alaska End of Season - Sept 14, 2003
Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - Oct 4, 2002
#9
Coastal GA USA
21,791 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
This is Dodge Island, Port of Miami. Along the top you see ships; NCL always uses the far right berth. At the stern of the ship you see an orange rectangle with CT C and CT B. Those are Cruise Terminal B & C. CT B is where you will check in and pick up the chair. EM

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Fascination 10/8/17; Carnival Elation 12/11/17;Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
#10
238 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Essiesmom
This is Dodge Island, Port of Miami. Along the top you see ships; NCL always uses the far right berth. At the stern of the ship you see an orange rectangle with CT C and CT B. Those are Cruise Terminal B & C. CT B is where you will check in and pick up the chair. EM
Yes, Terminal B is where we have been instructed to pick up the transport chair. Thank you so much.
#11
238 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by johnrich
We used Special Needs at Sea last September for a wheelchair when we boarded the Getaway last September.
Several things to consider:
Contact NCLs Access Team prior to cruising. They will make sure your cards are at terminal B. Once you do this, make sure you go to Terminal B even if your docs say to go to Terminal C.
A Special Needs at Sea rep was stationed right inside the terminal and he had the wheelchairs right past the security checkpoint. The guy was extremely helpful.

In the past when we’ve cruised other lines, the wheelchairs were already in the rooms but I liked this set up better. It was nice to have someone there to answer any questions we may have.
Thank you! I thought the idea of picking up the chair in the terminal was a better idea than having it in the room, too.
#12
238 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
As an update to this thread, we were picking up my husband's transport chair from Special Needs in Terminal B at MIA. There was no kiosk, sign or anything in the terminal indicating where to pick up Special Needs at Sea equipment. We finally, actually by accident, discovered the man from Special Needs. He had us wait a little while and came back with our transport chair. We then had one of the wheelchair pushers from the ship push it (and my husband) from the terminal to the atrium area in the ship.

Disembarking: since we were supposed to leave our transport chair in the terminal (not the room) we ran into the same situation. There was no obvious place to leave the transport chair. We started asking employees where to leave it and no one really knew. When we finally got out of the terminal, nearly to the taxis, we discovered a corral that had been set up and there were already 3-4 Special Needs scooters left there, so we assumed this was the place. There wasn't anyone there to take our transport chair so we just left it in the corral.

Picking up and leaving the transport chair in the terminal sounded like a good idea but now I think it would have been better to have had it waiting in the room.