Booking a NCL cruise with "free" add ons

5kitty

We are considering booking a late November cruise on the Breakaway out of NYC. While pricing out the cruise, I was given a choice to select a package with two "free" options. The package I am looking at is the Free Speciality Dining and Free Internet (250 minutes) option. I noticed that they will charge me a choice promo service charge. I have never cruised on NCL so what I am wondering from anyone who has used these promos is if I select the Free Speciality Dining, is it really for free at the "speciality" restaurants or are there hidden charges? Is it difficult to get a table at the speciality restaurants? What about the free internet? Anything I need to know? My apologies if this question has been asked before. Thanks.

It depends on the ship. Go to the terms and conditions for the specialty dining packages and it is the same as for the free promo. Just keep in mind it's not every day - under 10 day sailings get 3 free meals, I believe and over 10 day get 4. At cagneys, le bistro, and la cucina you are able to get 1 entrée and unlimited everything else (apps, sides, desserts), and at teppanyaki and moderno it's completely free. Outside of those there are upcharges to use your credit at other restaurants.

You do however want to make your reservations online at the 90 day mark or on your first day on the ship. The reservations do go quickly and then the restaurants are hard to get in to. Past the first couple days on the Jade recently, outside of moderno's you couldn't get a reservation at any of the specialties before 9.

I would not select the Internet package. We selected it the last time we sailed, along with the beverage package. We utilized the Internet, but 250 minutes runs out so fast, and then you run the risk of overages. Take my word for it, the overages can be VERY expensive. For the dining and drink packages, you pay the gratuities up front. I believe it's $99.00 per person for the drinks and $78.00 per person for the specialty dining.

I would not select the Internet package. We selected it the last time we sailed, along with the beverage package. We utilized the Internet, but 250 minutes runs out so fast, and then you run the risk of overages. Take my word for it, the overages can be VERY expensive. For the dining and drink packages, you pay the gratuities up front. I believe it's $99.00 per person for the drinks and $78.00 per person for the specialty dining.
Hmmm....I choose the speciality dining and our gratuity charge was only $15 per person total for 4 restaurants. I questioned the TA about that since the charge for the UBP was so high. She said $15 per person for all 4 restaurants was correct. Hmmm

Hmmm....I choose the speciality dining and our gratuity charge was only $15 per person total for 4 restaurants. I questioned the TA about that since the charge for the UBP was so high. She said $15 per person for all 4 restaurants was correct. Hmmm

That's correct. No idea where someone got $78... the package price is only $70ish and its 18% of that.

Disagree on the internet. I wanted to just log on a few times; set the spend limit at $25 and had no issues. Would have used more if I had more but was able to do everything I needed with 25 minutes. Just have to ration it out, can't treat it as unlimited.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm trying to figure out what you meant with the gratuity comment. Do you mean that if you get a promo that includes a free drink package, you have to pay $99 gratuities? How is that free? I am used to cruising a different line where this is not the case but am going with a group on the Getaway this Fall. Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out what you meant with the gratuity comment. Do you mean that if you get a promo that includes a free drink package, you have to pay $99 gratuities? How is that free? I am used to cruising a different line where this is not the case but am going with a group on the Getaway this Fall. Thank you.

Think of the UBP as 2 parts: The package and the 18% gratuity/beverage service charge

The "package" cost is $79 per person per day. The package for 7 days is $553 per person

The 18% is based on the cost of the package which works out to be $99.54

For the UBP promo, NCL pays the $553 and most guests are responsible for the $99.54. There are exceptions such as being booked in a suite or booking from a part of the world where "free" must be free.

The amount is added to the cost of the cruise. You are not charged 18% per drink while on-board. If you have 100 drinks (@ $15 each or less) or 2 drinks, the cost while on the cruise is 0.It is already paid but if you wish, you can tip extra or order more expensive drinks. The package covers the first $15 and you pay the difference plus 18%.

If you pick the UBP as a promo a service charge is added to your booking of 18% of the package price. It would have been added to your invoice at the time of booking. UK customers and I think group bookings (might apply to you) don't have to pay this charge. If it's not on your invoice don't worry about it. Nothing is added onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums