Anthem OTS—Solarium chair tips?

My husband and I are going on Anthem OTS in April. Since we won’t have our sons with us, we plan to spend a lot of time during the day relaxing in the solarium. We are both teachers so we will be going the week of Easter, when the NYC public schools have spring break, so the ship will be crowded.

Is the “chair hog” situation just as bad in the solarium as it is by the pool? We’ve never “reserved” lounge chairs on any vacation, whether a cruise or a resort.

Any tips for getting two lounge chairs together? We don’t care where in the solarium as long as we are in there. Even though it’s a school break and there will likely be many families with children onboard, I’m sure the solarium will still get crowded with adults whose children are in the kids’ programs on the ship, or adults like us traveling without kids, yes? When is the best time to get chairs and when is it considered peak time to be busy?

And last but not least...if we get lounge chairs in the solarium and then at one point we step inside the Solarium Bistro to grab some lunch, is it ok if we leave our towels and belongings (not valuables of course) on our chairs and then come right back to them? Or is that too much time to be away from the chairs and considered reserving?

Thanks in advance!

You might want to get there even a little early than seven to get a nice spot and you can leave for half hour before they mark your chair in the AM. For lunch you can be gone half hour to forty five min and it is OK if you tell a attendant.

We’re leaving out of NJ in April so it probably won’t be warm until a couple of days into the cruise. Is there another area on the ship where there is a pool that is covered so it creates an indoor pool? If not, I’d imagine the solarium is extremely crowded on sea days when it isn’t warm out.

We would like to go to the MDR for breakfast some mornings, but that will take longer than 30 minutes, yes? I don’t even want to attempt to leave a chair with a towel for more than the time they allow because I don’t think it’s fair to other guests.

Is it a lot less crowded on port days? So if we do something in port in the morning and return to the solarium in the early afternoon, would it be easier to get a chair than on other days? Again, we’re not picky about location at all, just want to have a lounger in there.

We’re leaving out of NJ in April so it probably won’t be warm until a couple of days into the cruise. Is there another area on the ship where there is a pool that is covered so it creates an indoor pool? ...

Yes, there is another indoor pool besides the Solarium.

We’re leaving out of NJ in April so it probably won’t be warm until a couple of days into the cruise. Is there another area on the ship where there is a pool that is covered so it creates an indoor pool? If not, I’d imagine the solarium is extremely crowded on sea days when it isn’t warm out.

We would like to go to the MDR for breakfast some mornings, but that will take longer than 30 minutes, yes? I don’t even want to attempt to leave a chair with a towel for more than the time they allow because I don’t think it’s fair to other guests.

Is it a lot less crowded on port days? So if we do something in port in the morning and return to the solarium in the early afternoon, would it be easier to get a chair than on other days? Again, we’re not picky about location at all, just want to have a lounger in there.

There's a large enclosed pool area before entering the Solarium. Also, try lunch in the MDR on sea days only.

If you see lots of chairs with only towels, ask the folks sitting nearby if anyone is using those "empty" loungers....they will tell you. If they haven't seen anyone actually using the chairs, tell the pool attendant that those towels have been "abandoned" or take them to the towel stand.....have a seat!

Anthem's Solarium was the worst one we've found in regard to trying to find chairs. All summer sailings. We were on Harmony this year, and the difference was very noticeable. Last summer on Anthem it was virtually impossible to find 2 together anytime after 10. Hopefully it was just a fluke that sailing.

We'll be on the same Anthem sailing this April so hoping for better results!!

Anthem's Solarium was the worst one we've found in regard to trying to find chairs. All summer sailings. We were on Harmony this year, and the difference was very noticeable. Last summer on Anthem it was virtually impossible to find 2 together anytime after 10. Hopefully it was just a fluke that sailing.

We'll be on the same Anthem sailing this April so hoping for better results!!

I hope we all have better luck on our sailing! How many people are in your party? It’s just me and hubby this time. Usually we cruise with a big group. This is the first cruise we’re going on just the two of us, and we’ve been on 7 cruises together!

• 2 weeks later...
Another option Go to 270 and chill in there during part of the day. Low crowds, very few kids, cafe and bar. They have chairs, swings and clam chair thingies to relax in while you watch the wake. ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the tip! This will be nice to do in the afternoon after lunch. I think we’ll spend morning in the solarium, relaxing and going in the whirlpools. Then lunch and then afternoon in 270 to just relax before going back to shower and change for dinner. The reason we are doing this cruise without the kids is just to relax and enjoy some couple time. Can’t wait!

Yes, it is less crowded on port days and easier to get a chair.

Does it stay warm in the solarium even when it is cold outside? It has been really hot in western NY this summer and I was hoping even if it was to cool outside for some the solarium pool would be usable for someone like me who is always hot.

They are able to control the temperature of the area with the venting, windows, etc. The "pool" is not really designed for swimming - it is more like a cool water cascading set of "hot tubs". Very pleasant to hang out in.

Yes, it is less crowded on port days and easier to get a chair.

Great, thank you! We will most likely go to breakfast in the dining room most mornings when it opens, and then head right up to the Solarium. It sounds like we will be able to get two chairs somewhere in there, and we are not picky about exactly where, as long as it’s in there. We don’t mind walking a little further to get to the whirlpools and the pool! It sounds heavenly in there and in 270 during the day.

You will not have any problem getting lounges inside the solarium so don't worry. On sunny warm days the pool area is the place that will be a problem. Get there before you go for breakfast and you will be fine.

Not true. We were on AOS in June and on sea days chair hogs were in full force. As per the other post get there early.