Reserving sun beds

emam

Does the crew ever move articles that people have left on sun beds to reserve them. I was sitting one day and some rather elderly people came to the beds next to me and put their bags down then walked off and didn't come back. From the sun tans they had, and their attitudes I would say they were seasoned cruisers and do this all the time.

I have never seen this done on P&O, has anyone? They should but they don’t - there are so many selfish people on ships who hog beds they don’t intend to use until hours later, sometimes not at all.

Other lines police it more and do remove belongings. Celebrity certainly do, they are not perfect either but at least they make a bit of an effort.

I have never seen this done on P&O, has anyone?

I have after I poked the staff into action one day, but it took quite a lot of effort.

They will place cards on sunbeds which have been unoccupied for some time that say if you don't return within a certain amount of time your items will taken away.

The fallout from the cards was quite amusing to watch from a distance, but from the grief the staff were getting from leaving the cards I can understand why they don't actively do it.

The other problem for the staff is the family or social groups who will take half a dozen sunbeds and then leave a sentry to guard them whilst everyone else disappears for hours. If the staff approach they are chased off by the guard.

Well done for trying at least.

Yes I remember someone references these large groups in quite an amusing way on another thread.

I think that in “warning”Jenny Jospeh should have added

I will run along the rows of reserved sun beds,

pick up all the books and bags and towels

And dump them in the pool! :)

I was in a hotel once where a certain county always booked sunbeds fairly early in the morning and left them all day.

On the last day of our holiday we left after the towels had gone down, but before occupation.

The guilty towel placers came down after we had left to discover several dozen towels in a heap in a corner. Never did find out who did it:rolleyes:, but I would have loved to be a fly on the wall!!! I would not do such a thing!:halo:

Other lines police it more and do remove belongings. Celebrity certainly do, they are not perfect either but at least they make a bit of an effort.

You must be joking. We were on Celebrity Eclipse just 2 months ago, and most sun beds were reserved before 8am will less than 20% occupied by 10am. Many taking sun and shade beds with the full knowledge of the staff. When I approached Guest Relations about their policy, a shrug of the shoulders and quoting that Miami knows the problem, we are waiting instruction was the response. Obviously their new policy is too avoid any confrontation with guests, believe me it is becoming worse than the Costas of the 80’s. Germans were regarded the worse offenders, now selfishness has spread with North Americans becoming the world leaders.

Edited by mickey89

Well done for trying at least.

Yes I remember someone references these large groups in quite an amusing way on another thread.

I think that in “warning”Jenny Jospeh should have added

I will run along the rows of reserved sun beds,

pick up all the books and bags and towels

And dump them in the pool! :)

This was my post last December.

Originally posted by Eglesbrech
The cruise company should deal with it. It would be particulalry easy to do this with the early morning bed hoggers, wait 30 minutes from when any items are left on a bed and then simply remove them. By 8am all the beds would be clear again. Do a round every 30 minutes and remove any items, if applied consistently the message would eventually get through to even the terminally selfish. It would take just one additional member of staff to do this and makes everyone life easier.

Okay in therory.

However, a P&O Seal Colony will have sentinals in place to defend all their created territory.

These are usually the largest, most vociferous, and aggressive members of the Colony, sometimes displaying a number of tattoos, signifying their rank or status within the Colony.

Do not think a solitary unprotected, and unarmed, member of staff would stand a chance.

Port Royal

You do post some amount of Rubbish at times I really do think you have a huge Tattooed Chip on your shoulder in relation to P&O.

My wife and I were on Queen Mary 2 in October and God Forbid there were large Bald Men with numerous Tattoos onboard and what’s worse even some Ladies.

You must be joking. We were on Celebrity Eclipse just 2 months ago, and most sun beds were reserved before 8am will less than 20% occupied by 10am. Many taking sun and shade beds with the full knowledge of the staff. When I approached Guest Relations about their policy, a shrug of the shoulders and quoting that Miami knows the problem, we are waiting instruction was the response. Obviously their new policy is too avoid any confrontation with guests, believe me it is becoming worse than the Costas of the 80’s. Germans were regarded the worse offenders, now selfishness has spread with North Americans becoming the world leaders.

That’s interesting. Perhaps they have given up the fight as well.

All the cruise lines need to tackle this.

It’s interesting that the issue of reserving sun beds reappears often on here - and no one on here is apparently guilty of this crime! Who are these people who do this? I must admit, on the cruises we’ve been on there are loads of reserved beds - often with a ‘guard’ on duty. However, we have usually managed to find beds away from the pools or more popular areas.

Clearly cruise critic users never reserve sunbeds!

It’s interesting that the issue of reserving sun beds reappears often on here - and no one on here is apparently guilty of this crime! Who are these people who do this? I must admit, on the cruises we’ve been on there are loads of reserved beds - often with a ‘guard’ on duty. However, we have usually managed to find beds away from the pools or more popular areas.

Only in The Retreat, being well away from the more popular areas.

On some forums people freely admit to doing it and dont see it as a problem. I can’t remember if anyone has said that on here before though.

I only ever use a bed for 20minutes max and I burn so it’s annoying when they ar “taken” for hours when not in use. I could have used the bed, had a walk, had a drink then used it again and it would still be free for the hog getting back.