Live Review suggestions

Hi everyone,

I am a dedicated reader of threads and especially reviews. I've learned so much from those who have generously shared their time, writing, and pictures with us that I've decided it is time for me to give back and do the same.

I (Single, 33) sail on May 21 with my dad, brother (28), and sister in law (28) in a deck 8 Aqua Theater Suite on the Oasis and am interested in doing a Live review. This will be our 3rd year in a row on a May sailing of the Oasis. The past two years we were in the Starboard ATS and this year we will be on the Port side.

My review will be from the "Star Class" perspective and will give up close and personal descriptions of the perks that come with this level. We have had wonderful experiences the last two years...the first year was before they made all of the suite class changes and then last year we were on the first sailing with the new perks.

Since I have two weeks before we sail, I thought I would reach out to all of you for some suggestions for my review. I have a good idea about what things people want to see and will be clear at the beginning about what things I will not be sharing (MDR, for example). I will answer questions as quickly and as accurately as possible, and will ask people to abide by the review ettiquite that I have seen posed elsewhere, which seems to really help the flow (i.e. not including my entire post on every response....seems to really slow down threads and makes them harder for people to advance and read).

So, here are my questions. I truly appreciate any feedback you have, and will take it to heart!

1. Is it worth it to do a Star Class review? The last thing I want to do is come off as "in-your-face" about suite privileges and such. I do know that there are people who are curious about them. I've spend a lot of time looking for other perspectives of suite-goers and would have appreciated info in one place, myself. Mostly, I recognize that the suite classes, and especially Star Class, are very expensive and I would not want to be that person who brags about how great their perks are. My purpose is to share the pros and cons of RCL's service and offerings at this level, but understand how it could come off. If people do not feel that it is worthwhile, then I will not spend to time doing it.

2. What are your suggestions for the method of posting? Do Live reviewers usually do such from their computers or their phones? On your computer do you just access the thread through the Cruise Critic website? On your phone do you use the tapatalk app? I tend to be a bit verbose, and I am suspecting that typing from my computer will be more efficient but I have no idea what most people do and would love to hear suggestions.

3. Pictures. Having pictures that show up nicely embedded in the review is key. I don't want people to have to click on them, and I don't want full page pictures. Do most people take pictures with their camera or phone? If I am typing from my computer and uploading pictures from my phone how do I get them in the same spot? Sorry for my ignorance here. Obviously, all suggestions are welcome! Do people prefer when the pictures are embedded as part of the post or is it better to post the pictures at the end of a post? My preference is to see them embedded as part of the post so I can see what is being talked about in that moment. But, I know everyone has different preferences and I want to do whatever is the consensus best way to do it!

Okay, I think those are my three main questions. I am looking forward to hearing what you have to say! Thank you all in advance!

VACO99

Oh my goodness! How exciting! I hit the subscribe button before I even got halfway through your post! Lol. I'd personally LOVE to read a suite review! I've never sailed in a suite or even priced one out as it just seems expensive in my mind. However a cc review made me stop sailing interior and now we usually always sail ocean view so maybe you'll make me look at a suite! Thanks for doing this! It's very insightful to read people's posts of their trips and these posts have made me book cruise lines I've never considered and look at itineraries that I'd never thought of so bring on the review! [emoji2] I'm always open to all things travel related!

Regarding your questions, I personally like to see the photos embedded into the post BUT I'm technologically challenged so I have no idea how to do it. Hopefully in your review you'll tell me how to embed the photos and I can repay the favor by doing a post on our next cruise this November! I'd personally like to hear about the kids room. I know you won't be sailing with kids but any info you can glean without going out of your way on your vacation would be awesome. I'm rather wordy so I can't imagine posting any way other than typing BUT I'd likely post when I got home from vacation so my little family wouldn't balk when I disappear to the room or wherever to post about our trip. I don't personally see your review as bragging or in your face at all. I think it's exciting that you're traveling with family and single! Enjoy yourself and share it all with us. When our kids are bigger and I'm not paying for an entire family to sail DH and I may switch to suite sailing if you whet my appetite in this review! Happy sailing! Can't wait to read more about your adventures!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you've already got it right...MAKE PARAGRAPHS!!! So many folks just use one, big block of writing...and it's SO hard to read!

I completely agree. Big blocks of words and/or no pics I just skim over :)

Please add pics, it makes live reviews way more enjoyable. The easiest way to do it is with the tapatalk app on your smart phone. Once you take a pic you can embed it instantly in your thread without uploading it to a photo sharing site like you would have to do if you are using a camera and computer. Any of the new smartphones take great pics so no need for a regular camera unless you are a photo enthusiast.

I suggest getting the app now and play with it, add photos to this thread just so you can see how easy it is.

Let us know if you have any questions about it:cool:

If you expand my signature and look at my "Oasis live thread" that was all done with my smart phone (Note IV) and tapatalk.

Edited by whitshel
added another line

Leave space in between your photos and, if you post from your computer, please add captions...I am not sure that you can do this with the app or tapatalk, though that's faster...

People like to know what they're looking at!!

Have a great time

Having sailed Star Class and done live reviews at the same time I would suggest that you think twice about being "live". Many posters will be receptive but you will get an occasional poster that will be snide in their comments. Everyone is curious to how the other half lives, some will ask how much does it cost, others will ask what you do or if your folks paid, you might get some complaints about how suites take away other privileges etc...

In my reviews I never advertised that we were Star Class, people just found out as the review went on. At the end of the review I always reviewed the Class Class Experience but it wasn't my main focus. On my second to last Star Class review I actually had to have the moderators lock the thread because a fellow CC cruiser that was on our sailing had a negative experience and they go snarky with me. The mods cut out the offending comments over two days and then I asked them to lock it. I did take a screen shot of one of them. I'm not sure why they did this but I'm just giving you a heads up.

Great points! I will definitely keep those in mind. Good idea on not making Star Class the point, which it really isn't. But, from the first post on the ATS balcony, it will be clear. Your're right though, people can surmise on their own. Thick skin is probably an important characteristic! I don't mind people knowing that my dad has saved his whole life to be able to do this type of stuff for us in retirement, and lord knows at 33 I couldn't pay for it! I really appreciate your thoughts, and will definitely consider them!

I'll also check out your live reviews so I can learn how to do it well!

Great points! I will definitely keep those in mind. Good idea on not making Star Class the point, which it really isn't. But, from the first post on the ATS balcony, it will be clear. Your're right though, people can surmise on their own. Thick skin is probably an important characteristic! I don't mind people knowing that my dad has saved his whole life to be able to do this type of stuff for us in retirement, and lord knows at 33 I couldn't pay for it! I really appreciate your thoughts, and will definitely consider them!

I'll also check out your live reviews so I can learn how to do it well!

If you expand my signature you will find all of my live reviews, from OS, CLS, RLS X3 and numerous from the SLS. Hopefully you will enjoy them.

You might also get the I'd rather sail 10 times VS one discussion but not normally during a live review. I'm 45 and when asked about cost my response is something like - I work hard, long hours and even need to be accessible while away. Cruising is my biggest escape and I don't mind splurging on it.

I will watch for your upcoming review. Take your time and have fun with it. It can be very rewarding but a lot of work too. More importantly enjoy your time with your family, and give your dad a big thank-you hug. These family moments are ones that will last a life time. If you read my RLS cabin review you will understand how poignant that comment is.

Andrew

HI Vaco!

I'm new here, but if I can put in my two cents... I would love to see your live review. I've found it very fun and informative to read the others and really can't seem to get enough. While I can't personally afford the higher classes, that's all the more reason I'd like to see them! It sounds to me like you're aware of not "showing off" so I think that in itself will solve the problem. I'm happy for you to be able to cruise this way and thankful you'd be willing to share it.

Also, maybe I can learn more about this "live review etiquette". I sure hope I'm not doing anything wrong in my posts!

Looking forward to watching your travels from afar :)

Lisa N.

Vaco, definitely use the Cruise Critic or Tapatalk app to do the live review. It will make your life that much easier.

The old way of using a third party photo sharing website is painfully slow and a waste of time.

I have a good idea about what things people want to see and will be clear at the beginning about what things I will not be sharing (MDR, for example).

May I ask, what is 'bad' about sharing MDR information? Do you mean like Food pics? I love seeing those!!

Lisa n

Hi Lisa... I meant that I will be clear about what I won't be showing....I won't show MDR pics bc I won't be eating there during my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Lisa... I meant that I will be clear about what I won't be showing....I won't show MDR pics bc I won't be eating there during my trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh ok! I hope we will get to see where you do eat though :)

I was afraid ppl didn't like seeing Food pics in reviews. I love them!

Can't wait!!

Lisa n

Thanks for the offer of a live review. Many of us live (cruise) vicariously through those that do this. It looks like a lot of work while away so I would suggest to make sure you don't let it dominate your vacation. As Andrew stated, you need to focus on the time with your family and above all enjoy your vacation. Don't let a few of the negative posters on here ruin any aspect of your vacation. Just enjoy!!!