Mid-late 20's solo cruisers??

zpdw484

I have been on 8 cruises, but haven't been fortunate enough to sail since 06. I miss it sooo badly! I can't seem to get anyone to go with me. I am a 27 yr old single male and do not have a travel partner. Seems like all my friends are either married, in a relationship, or just can't come up with the money to go. Anyways, I have decided that I am not going to sacrifice something I love any more. I work hard, so why shouldn't I vacation hard??? I am used to living alone (except for the dog) so why not crusie alone? Just because i'm single doesn't mean I shouldn't cruise right??? lol Anyways, any advice for a 27yr old male solo cruiser?? I am a pretty seasoned traveler and cruiser but haven't done the "solo" thing yet. Is there any other 20 something solo cruisers out there to give me some words of wisdom?? Surely I'm not the only person in this situation lol

Hey

Not sure if my answer will be all that helpful as I'm just out of the late 20's bracket ;). i had just turned 30 when i went solo and i LOVED it!

If it's any help, this is the link to my first post when i was unsure:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1422060

and the link to my post when i got home:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1461923

As you can see, i have no regrets at all about going for it.

i am now looking at going for Christmas, no family arguments or Turkey for me :D;)

I have been on 8 cruises, but haven't been fortunate enough to sail since 06. I miss it sooo badly! I can't seem to get anyone to go with me. I am a 27 yr old single male and do not have a travel partner. Seems like all my friends are either married, in a relationship, or just can't come up with the money to go. Anyways, I have decided that I am not going to sacrifice something I love any more. I work hard, so why shouldn't I vacation hard??? I am used to living alone (except for the dog) so why not crusie alone? Just because i'm single doesn't mean I shouldn't cruise right??? lol Anyways, any advice for a 27yr old male solo cruiser?? I am a pretty seasoned traveler and cruiser but haven't done the "solo" thing yet. Is there any other 20 something solo cruisers out there to give me some words of wisdom?? Surely I'm not the only person in this situation lol

zpdw484, I am no longer in your age bracket but I started sailing solo when in my early 30's and since then have done about 15 trips solo. If you enjoy the cruise experience, by all means don't worry about doing it solo. Yes, it costs us more, but it is well worth the extra expense, as the only person you have to worry about is you. You get to do what you want to do, when you want to do it. Most of the people on this thread will tell you they love sailing solo and pefer it over traveling with someone else. Good Luck and happy sailing.

I don't have any advise on what it is like going solo. But i am 25 and going on my first cruise all by myself in under 2 weeks because of the same reasons you mentioned. I can not be more excited about going.

I'm 26 and in the same situation. I went on my first solo cruise in February and have 2 more booked in the near future. :) I absolutely love cruising and have a pretty flexible schedule so why waste the opportunity to travel? :) The only downside to going alone (for me) is I can't always do what I want to do on shore for safety reasons. Still, it's worth it! :)

I cruised solo at age 27, 29, and 30, plus taken solo land trips in between. I now enjoy solo cruising so much that I declined several invitations from friends who wanted to come along on my last cruise. I really enjoy doing what I want, when I want. I'm not sure if my next big trip will be a cruise or land trip, but I do know it will be another solo adventure. Go for it and have a great time!

If you want to see how much fun I had on my last solo cruise, you can read about it in my Inspiration review in my signature.

So for you guys that have done the solo thing in your 20's, how has dinner in the main dinning room been?? Have you been seated with other solos or just stuck wherever there is room?? My biggest concerns are dinner in the main dining room and figuring out how to sunscreen my back! (im the type that spends almost all day everyday around the pool or at the beach in the sun) lol

So for you guys that have done the solo thing in your 20's, how has dinner in the main dinning room been?? Have you been seated with other solos or just stuck wherever there is room?? My biggest concerns are dinner in the main dining room and figuring out how to sunscreen my back! (im the type that spends almost all day everyday around the pool or at the beach in the sun) lol

On my first solo, I was seated wherever. I was put at a booth that seats 6 with a family of 3 that spoke no English and a newlywed couple. The couple and I engaged in conversation, and as soon as everyone finished their food, they left in a hurry. It wasn't the most pleasant dining experience. Well the next night, I met 2 girls my age from Oregon, who also didn't like their table mates. We asked the maitre'd if we could sit together and were seated at a table with some other 20-somethings. On my second solo cruise, I was seated with 4 other solos (only 1 man). One girl was in her 20's, and the others were in their 40's. Dinner was awesome every night. We would stick together after and catch the shows or head to the disco together. On my last solo, I was seated at a 10 top with several different groups of friends, male and female, late 20's to early 40's. We all did karaoke and the disco together. Almost all of them are my Facebook friends now.

That being said, I have only cruised on Carnival. They do an AMAZING job of seating you with dinner companions of similar age and lifestyle (e.g. couples, singles, families, etc). I see that you've mostly cruised on Royal Caribbean. I can't comment on them because I have never sailed them, but I would hope and assume that they do the same thing.

One more thing, get the sunscreen that you spray on, not rub on. ;)

I'm 25 and I recently took my first solo cruise (4th cruise overall), on RCI's Allure of the Seas. I had a blast, although there were a few lonely or awkward times.

You can read about my solo experience here, and there's a link at the bottom of the first post to my trip journal with pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1429777

Hopefully that's helpful! :)

Hey evryone I am 31 and just booked my first cruise over New Years eve here in a few months on the Carnival Dream so I am glad to here everyone loves it. I have taken land trips solo before and it was amazing so I think this should be just as good or better,

I hope it works out for you

You'll have a blast. I went on my first solo last November and had a great time. Only time at first that seemed like an odd time was dinner time. But once I went into the dining room first time it was easy after that. As for being in places around the ship, etc it's really not much different than if you're traveling with friends. What I mean by that is there are many times you'll see someone off sitting on their own and you end up talking with them. Unless you ask you wouldn't know they were traveling alone. Also many that do travel with others go off and do stuff on your own.

Below is my account although very brief of my first solo cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1312348

I'm ready for my next solo cruise and am hopeful I'm able to do it in January or February.

I just got back from my very first cruise and I am already plotting ways to squeeze another cruise in before my Disney cruise next August. I figure that I should be able to go somewhere in early April but I haven't a clue who I could take with me! Most of my friends are broke, I'm single, and my sister can never get time off of work. I've done many solo land vacations, I live alone, go out to eat alone, go to movies alone, etc so in theory a solo cruise shouldn't be that weird for me. Maybe it is because I am still new to cruising but for some reason I can't convince myself it is a good idea. I'm 27 but for I kind of feel like I am not old enough or something to be allowed on a cruise by myself. I am sure that sounds crazy but it is hard to explain.

I am glad I found this thread though because reading some of the solo trip reports have definitely been helpful. I think my biggest concern is the main dining room situation. I refuse to relegate myself to the buffet line for an entire trip so I guess I would have to just get over getting stuck with a random family or couple. I think I would almost prefer sitting solo in the dining room since that is something I do at restaurants at home. Dinner + a book = a good time.

I just got back from my very first cruise and I am already plotting ways to squeeze another cruise in before my Disney cruise next August. I figure that I should be able to go somewhere in early April but I haven't a clue who I could take with me! Most of my friends are broke, I'm single, and my sister can never get time off of work. I've done many solo land vacations, I live alone, go out to eat alone, go to movies alone, etc so in theory a solo cruise shouldn't be that weird for me. Maybe it is because I am still new to cruising but for some reason I can't convince myself it is a good idea. I'm 27 but for I kind of feel like I am not old enough or something to be allowed on a cruise by myself. I am sure that sounds crazy but it is hard to explain.

I am glad I found this thread though because reading some of the solo trip reports have definitely been helpful. I think my biggest concern is the main dining room situation. I refuse to relegate myself to the buffet line for an entire trip so I guess I would have to just get over getting stuck with a random family or couple. I think I would almost prefer sitting solo in the dining room since that is something I do at restaurants at home. Dinner + a book = a good time.

I know exactly what you're saying. All my friends are either broke or joined at the hip with their significant other lol. I too am used to doing many things alone, so the more I think about it the less "wierd" the idea of solo cruising sounds. I have cruise fever so bad and I am just tired of using the "don't have anyone to go with me" excuse. Life is too short!!! I also share your concern about the main dining room situation but if it turns out that bad I don't think it would bother me terribly to skip out on the main dining room.

I have always cruised with my OH - we are now seperated - but why should that exclude me from cruising!!! :eek:

SO.............I have booked the Epic (solo studios) for my 50th Birthday next year. (first time NCL always cruised Cunard/ P &O - tried IOS - didnt like it!).

I visit CC almost every day and it has been invaluable in me reaching my decision.

I am so excited :) and have even thought about booking a further cruise in April as I dont think I can wait!!

I am really looking forward to doing my own thing and dining doesnt really faze me as I believe no one else is interested in me when I am eating!!

You sound like me. I go out to eat and to the movies alone too, even went and saw The Color Purple by myself when it came to Atlanta. I grew up as an only child, which is why I'm so independent today. I started cruising solo for the same reasons that have already been stated- friends are broke or have families. Four years after that first solo cruise, I'd have no problem finding someone to go with me now, but I actually don't want to because I enjoy cruising by myself so much! Don't think you're too young to cruise solo. Go and have a great time and meet some great people. I'm having lunch in a couple of weeks with a friend I met on a solo cruise 2 years ago! :D

I have always cruised with my OH - we are now seperated - but why should that exclude me from cruising!!! :eek:

SO.............I have booked the Epic (solo studios) for my 50th Birthday next year. (first time NCL always cruised Cunard/ P &O - tried IOS - didnt like it!).

I visit CC almost every day and it has been invaluable in me reaching my decision.

I am so excited :) and have even thought about booking a further cruise in April as I dont think I can wait!!

I am really looking forward to doing my own thing and dining doesnt really faze me as I believe no one else is interested in me when I am eating!!

Have fun on the Epic! I say take the plunge and book another cruise before that one if you can. That's a long way off and I wouldn't know what to do with myself!

I'm so glad I found this thread! I thought I was the only one.

I'm 29 now and I went on my first solo cruise for my birthday last year and I absolutely loved it. Yes, I had moments where I was lonely (i.e couldn't leave my bag in my seat at the Windjammer), but it passed quickly. I tried the MDR my first night and didn't really get along with the people, so I found other places to eat for the rest of the week. I still went to all the shows and enjoyed my excursions as I normally do.

I think the hardest thing for me was finding someone to take pictures of me LOL I love to take a lot of pictures and I had to a lot of maneuvering in my cabin to get some good shots, but people are cruises are generally so happy go lucky that I had little problems with someone offering to take pictures for me.

But clearly, that is not enough to deter me as I have since booked my next solo vacation during Valentines week and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm quite content with spending time by myself and this time I have a balcony, so I'll be spending quite a bit of time out there as well.

I am now 29 years young;) and sailed seven cruises solo. It's not that i have friends, but in many cases the are married or have children or don't have the money to go.

I totally understand what you are saying. You work had, like i do, and live once so ENJOY!

You always meet new friends on board, some are solo as well. Although i took once the solo cabin on the Epic, it was not different then all the other cruises i took. Exept of the small size of the cabin:mad:.

In my opinion Celebrity is the best company for solotravellers.

Enjoy your cruise anyway.

It's definately great to hear I am not the only one in this situation out there!! Now I just have to decide on a cruise to book. I'm looking to go in may or june of next year. I have always loved Royal caribbean so I am just about set on the freedom of the seas western caribbean. Thanks for all the great replies! :)

I'm 33 Single Gay White male .... and have cruised once - but with Bro and SIL - And I HATE the fifth wheel feeling!

I'm thinking seriously about booking a last minute cruise and force myself outta my comfort circle ...

I'm on FB - if anyone wants to chat more ..

Thanks ..

Neil Bradley Albury

Archived