Just booked Amsterdam to Alaska !

curtdesilets

After doing our last cruise on an overbooked Thanksgiving week Princess ship with over 3500 passengers, we are looking for a smaller ship experience!! I understand Amsterdam is getting refurbished in May. Do any of you have details on the refurbishment?

We were on Amsterdam for a similar cruise in 2003, our 3rd cruise ever. She must have aged by now. Hopefully gracefully! Any insights from you Holland America frequent cruisers? I think this will be our 5th HAL cruise, but it's been a few years since we sailed Holland America. Thanks for any tips!

After doing our last cruise on an overbooked Thanksgiving week Princess ship with over 3500 passengers, we are looking for a smaller ship experience!! I understand Amsterdam is getting refurbished in May. Do any of you have details on the refurbishment?

We were on Amsterdam for a similar cruise in 2003, our 3rd cruise ever. She must have aged by now. Hopefully gracefully! Any insights from you Holland America frequent cruisers? I think this will be our 5th HAL cruise, but it's been a few years since we sailed Holland America. Thanks for any tips!

Per the Cruise Critic website (apparently they have an entire section on "Cruise Ship Refurbishments"), here's what I found. I don't know how accurate it is:

Ship: Amsterdam

Dates: May 2018

Details: As part of a $300 million investment, Holland America is updating entertainment, dining and suites across its fleet between 2016 and 2018. While enhancements will vary by ship, all Vista- Signature- and Rotterdam-class ships will receive new furniture, carpeting and wall covers, as well as a new quartz stone top on the desk, dresser, nightstands and makeup vanity. Electronic upgrades include a USB outlet added the bed's headboard, LED reading lights and a lighted closet rod. Suite passengers will also have access to a new interactive TV system with free movies on demand, in-cabin coffee and espresso machine, binoculars for use during the sailing, free mimosas with ensuite breakfast and more. Amsterdam will receive the transformation that will turn Crow's Nest into the line's new interactive destination experience center, EXC or Explorations Central.

Thanks for your responses. We had a lovely time on Amsterdam back in 2003, when she was barely 3 years old! She was the flagship for many years, apparently, and i am sure they keep her nice for those fancy World Cruises. This was interesting, for you historians out there, describing the Inauguration of this version of "Amsterdam" :

http://www.sealetter.com/Nov-00/newamst.html

• 1 month later...

Joining in this conversation a bit late but soooo glad to hear all the refurbishings going on. We sail in June for Alaska and first time on this ship. It sounds like they are making some significant upgrades. Sailed on Holland before and love it. It suits us.

Thanks for your responses. We had a lovely time on Amsterdam back in 2003, when she was barely 3 years old! She was the flagship for many years, apparently, and i am sure they keep her nice for those fancy World Cruises. This was interesting, for you historians out there, describing the Inauguration of this version of "Amsterdam" :

http://www.sealetter.com/Nov-00/newamst.html

Amsterdam and Rotterdam are co- flagships of HAL and have beenffor many years.

We are booked on N Amsterdam for the August 18th Alaska trip. It will be our first with HAL (7 previous on other lines) so I've been eagerly following all feedback on the December major overhaul. Comments have been very good, plus a few pix here and there. Hopefully more pix will be available soon. Definitely looking forward to the trip, as I will be retired by then!!!

We are booked on N Amsterdam for the August 18th Alaska trip. It will be our first with HAL (7 previous on other lines) so I've been eagerly following all feedback on the December major overhaul. Comments have been very good, plus a few pix here and there. Hopefully more pix will be available soon. Definitely looking forward to the trip, as I will be retired by then!!!

Be aware that HAL has two ships with the name "Amsterdam": the R-class vessel "Amsterdam", built in 2000, and the Signature-class vessel, the "Nieuw Amsterdam", constructed in 2010. So be careful when you are reading reviews, that you have the correct ship.