Norwegian Dawn replaces the Norwegian Gem in NYC

shof515

We loved the updated Dawn and the addition of Los Lobos. However we missed the Great Outdoors.

Its been several years since we were on the Gem and then we were in an OceanView. Can someone give us some advice about the Aft Balconies on the Gem? Are they large enough for a lounger or two?

• 5 weeks later...

Well, with all these talks about the swapping of Gem and Dawn, this New Yorker is happy for the chance to sail on the Gem in November before she leaves NYC, having already been on the Escape earlier this Summer. Next cruise will be the Dawn next year then ... and I've just checked the Dawn prices, glad to see that they are lower (than both Escape and Gem). :)

Obviously, New England customers are entitled to a nice ship, so have fun with the Gem. But sending us the Dawn in lieu of sending it to the scrap yard in Jakarta is insulting. Wasn't the Breakaway suppossed to be "a ship that New York can call her own," or some similiar load of..... Now that's gone too. I'll try the Escape, but only because of the ease of 12th Avenue, but I have not heard great things about it, particularly it's megaship mentality.

Obviously, New England customers are entitled to a nice ship, so have fun with the Gem. But sending us the Dawn in lieu of sending it to the scrap yard in Jakarta is insulting. Wasn't the Breakaway suppossed to be "a ship that New York can call her own," or some similiar load of..... Now that's gone too. I'll try the Escape, but only because of the ease of 12th Avenue, but I have not heard great things about it, particularly it's megaship mentality.

I have sailed on Gem many many times-my favorite ship. I was scared to try Escape..but I loved it. I have to bring into the equation the fact that I won an upgrade to a forward Penthouse on the Escape and really enjoyed hteir haven...much more than Gems Haven.

We loved the updated Dawn and the addition of Los Lobos. However we missed the Great Outdoors.

Its been several years since we were on the Gem and then we were in an OceanView. Can someone give us some advice about the Aft Balconies on the Gem? Are they large enough for a lounger or two?

What changes / updates were made on the Dawn?

Did they change the aft suites in any way?

Loved this ship when it was new.

That being said, I love the Great Outdoors on the GEM like everyone.

Also, does anyone know what ships will be cruising out of NYC in the winter of 2021? (I'm booked on the Bliss in 2020)

Whatever ship does the longer itinerary, that's the one I'll be on....love those sea days!;)

Don:cool:

What changes / updates were made on the Dawn?

Did they change the aft suites in any way?

Loved this ship when it was new.

Just returned from our 5th time on the Dawn. Had a great cruise to Bermuda while the weather was great.

The only major change to the Dawn IMO was the addition of Los Lobos. We ate there 3 times during our week.

We were in an Aft balcony (B1) on deck 10. Large enough for two loungers which was wonderful. We did get to see one of the Aft Suites just before disembarkation. Steward was friendly and let us look around. I was not impressed with the bathroom as it had a combined shower/bathtub that looked awkward and cramped. Nothing special or much larger than our own bathroom. The cabin itself seemed roomy but only felt a little larger than our own but with great closets. Of course the balcony was wider than our B1 and looked very nice.

I love the Dawn, it's probably my favorite NCL ship! We've sailed her several times from Boston and once from Florida, and also her sister ship Star a couple of times. Gem is fine too, and it'll be nice to have something different out of Boston since that's our closest port, but I'll definitely still drive to NY to hop on the Dawn if she has a decent itinerary.

I also love the Dawn, it might not be as new as some of the other ships but is great.