Getaway balconies

dmdiver

Can anyone confirm whether or not you can open the balcony dividers between cabins? We've been able to do this on Royal, Princess & Carnival. The little help box person on NCL's website says no, but I thought I read on here that they will open them. I thought someone who sailed recently on this ship might have some experience with that. Also, I know on Carnival ships, some balconies cannot be opened to each other due to the divider swinging back & blocking the door. There's a website that will tell you which ones are able to be opened, which is helpful when booking the cabins.

So, long story short, if NCL will open the divider, is there a site to see which cabins would be able to be opened to each other?

The official answer is "no, not allowed" but some stewards will open if you ask.

It used to be "yes" then it went to "at the captain's discretion" and now it is "no". Some guests still manage to get them opened, however.

You will get various answers based on who was lucky and who wasn't. The dividers do serve a safety purpose if it matters.

I would not base a cruise decision on a balcony divider.

Oh of course not - just one thing to consider if you have lots of sea days. Looks like there aren't many of those anyway on the itineraries we have looked at on any line. Since our travel group was not impressed when we all tried Princess, it's a tough task to get them to try another cruise line. I personally would like to broaden our horizons.

We were told by our steward that they cant' be opened for fire regulations. However, it was hinted that if while we are in our rooms, on the balcony theres no reason why it cant be opened as long as it is closed when we leave the room. So just open then close it! No need to leave them open.

I would not base a cruise decision on a balcony divider.

I completely disagree. The balcony divider is the single most important factor when considering / making a cruise decision.

Forget about the dining, excursions, ship amenities, ports of call, entertainment, etc.

THIS is the most important factor by far.

;p

We were told by our steward that they cant' be opened for fire regulations. However, it was hinted that if while we are in our rooms, on the balcony theres no reason why it cant be opened as long as it is closed when we leave the room. So just open then close it! No need to leave them open.

So they are not locked? Or you had the steward unlock first and then you just open & close it yourself? The ships we've been on before have always had a lock on them. When the steward opened, it was locked back against the wall to keep from swinging.

• 2 weeks later...