Liberty OTS docked @ Roatan Honduras (pics)

Ok so yesterday we were on Liberty OTS & had no problem docking. Just wanted to let all know who are worried about future calls there...

Here is a pic to show the damage. They were working on it while we were there.

The next morning we had the MS Armonia docked next to us at Costa Maya... in the pics you can see the “repairs” cheaply done, I might add.

1d7b9ef325def5f0035eb31a333067d7.jpg22ccc68fc32dbbe61a453af24385064a.jpgd6e5d8d6423f094f75fa90f08d8f57a2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those are pretty standard repairs, until the vessel goes to its next scheduled drydock. The "dents" that are still visible do not meet the requirements of the class society (insurance underwriters) for requiring the hull plating to be repaired until next drydock. If I had a closer look at them, it might even turn out that class would say that they never have to be repaired, from a structural standpoint. The cruise line may wish to renew the plating here for aesthetics, but from what I see, no framing has been seriously deformed (the dents are deeper between frames, and are less deep and steep at the frame). Even if framing has been somewhat deformed, it is a perfectly acceptable repair to cut them out and make new ones to match the "new" contours of the dented plating. The large plate welded over the deep dent under the hawsepipe is again, a perfectly acceptable repair, added as a "doubler" to increase plating strength at this point, and the damaged frames behind it were repaired as noted above, cut and shaped to match the dented profile. I believe her next drydocking is scheduled for 2019.

Those are pretty standard repairs, until the vessel goes to its next scheduled drydock. The "dents" that are still visible do not meet the requirements of the class society (insurance underwriters) for requiring the hull plating to be repaired until next drydock. If I had a closer look at them, it might even turn out that class would say that they never have to be repaired, from a structural standpoint. The cruise line may wish to renew the plating here for aesthetics, but from what I see, no framing has been seriously deformed (the dents are deeper between frames, and are less deep and steep at the frame). Even if framing has been somewhat deformed, it is a perfectly acceptable repair to cut them out and make new ones to match the "new" contours of the dented plating. The large plate welded over the deep dent under the hawsepipe is again, a perfectly acceptable repair, added as a "doubler" to increase plating strength at this point, and the damaged frames behind it were repaired as noted above, cut and shaped to match the dented profile. I believe her next drydocking is scheduled for 2019.

There “were” actual holes in the sides at the time.

There “were” actual holes in the sides at the time.

I could not tell from pictures I saw that there were actual holes in the plating. Even if there were, this doubler plate is a very common and acceptable repair until either more extensive repairs can be made (when time allows like at turn-around port) or next drydock. It is just as strong as the original.

So happy for you that you were able to enjoy Roatan. Please let us know if Allure is going to be able to dock there in May.

Happy Cruising:)

We are on Allure in Dec and very happy it appears all will be good by then!

Thanks Chengkp

Always enjoy your posts and knowledge.

SRV FAN:

Do you know if Allure will be able to dock at Roatan next month(May)? Please advise?

Sorry, I don’t know that. We are currently on Liberty & I was just sharing “our” experience. I’d say call Royal & ask. They should know by now the extent of the damage & be able to tell you their plans.

Glad you were able to enjoy Roatan. We were supposed to dock the day after the “incident” so had an extra sea day. Bright side, when we left our room at 8:30am there were no lines in customs. Maybe they screen more if you stop in Honduras.

Lynn, we were on this sailing also and yes disembarking was a bit of a challenge and hot in the building too didn't help matters any. We had #5 luggage tags but yet people just ahead of us had number 15, I was thinking this didn't make sense at all. I felt sorry for some of the elderly as it was not an easy process for them having to deal with their luggage through the many different lanes process. In 2016 disembarking same port was way easier than Sunday's process was. Too many people in one long continuous winding line.