Watching Football on Oasis of the Seas

We'll be on Oasis of the Seas during NFL playoffs. Is there any place on the ship where we can watch the games from a pool?

While they do show some games on the Aquatheater big screens, guests are normally not allowed in that pool.

The on air place features the football games on a larger screen .

I find the aqua theatre too humid after a short time.

I will be viewing a few games next month on the allure .

The fall is the best time to cruise if you like to break up the time with a bit of fine sport .

Go Steelers !

For those who have sailed during the regular season, will they show all the games or just the nationally televised ones? I'm going on the Allure on 9/23 and don't want to miss the Jags-Titans on embarkation day (thankfully it's at 1 p.m.).

When I have sailed and NFL games are shown, it's been one game per time slot, IIRC on an ESPN feed of some sort. Realistically, there is no shot of them showing that game. More likely a NY team or Dallas. The "national" game. And tv service is notoriously limited prior to the muster drills, it may be limited to safety videos.

If you have cell service through Verizon there is a free NFL package that will last while you have reception.

For those who have sailed during the regular season, will they show all the games or just the nationally televised ones? I'm going on the Allure on 9/23 and don't want to miss the Jags-Titans on embarkation day (thankfully it's at 1 p.m.).

You should probably record that game.

we were on Oasis for Thanksgiving week last year - DW is a big college FB fan

when the big games were coming on on Friday ... they choose one game to show at the Aqua theater. They must have worked hard to find the game with the least interest but they managed. I doubt there were 20 folks watching that one. As the big games got going the sports bar closed all TV screens to host bingo.

So groups of fans started congregating - finding like souls mostly via their team logo wear - and out came the streaming devices ... VOOM and all that. I quickly became obvious that the streaming demand was too much for VOOM as the games all paused "buffering"

Improvement was found by teaming up .. finding the person with the biggest screen and an empty lounge where many could watch ONE stream thereby reducing the load on VOOM. We ended up with about 30 Alabama fans in a 'closed' lounge watching on one laptop ..... Other groups were seen doing the same thing in other locations around the ship

I SUSPECT their choice of what ONE game to play on the big screen was due to their limited TV service via their satellite .... they don't have access to all networks and sports channels ..... plan accordingly.

What about the World Series? With the overwhelming number of Caribbean born baseball players, can I hope the games will be telecast?

Sure, if there is a major game, they normally would carry it. Onboard I've seen the Super Bowl, MLB World Series and Playoffs, NCAA basketball tournament, NBA playioffs, etc. However, if there are multiple games at the same time, they will normally have only one showing.

When we were on Oasis a few years ago, NFL games were on the TV's in the sports bar down near Starbucks. We watched Sunday games, MNF, and maybe TNF. College games were shown on Saturday.

Sure, if there is a major game, they normally would carry it. Onboard I've seen the Super Bowl, MLB World Series and Playoffs, NCAA basketball tournament, NBA playioffs, etc. However, if there are multiple games at the same time, they will normally have only one showing.

Yes, I'd call the World Series (only one game at a time!) a major game!!!

Yes, I'd call the World Series (only one game at a time!) a major game!!!

I was on NCL last year during the world series - no coverage, or for college football. I think there was a big Penn State-Ohio State game and as this cruise left from NYC, people were not happy.

Hopefully Oasis shows something...

Observations from a yearly Oasis class cruiser during football/World Series time:

For football you can be almost certain you will get the Sunday, Monday and Thursday night NFL games, definitely in On-Air. Expect to get the stink-eye from the karaoke crowd when they pull the plug on karaoke and put on the game. Aquatheater is also a good bet if there isn't a show, but every time I look out at the Aquatheater from our Boardwalk balcony during an NFL game there is just about no one there, and they seem to do it just so they can put another "activity" in the Cruise Compass. There is no rhyme or reason for Sunday afternoon games though. Just because a game is being shown in 90% of the country does not mean it will be on RCL. A few years back my Ravens were bad and they were playing another horrible team in one of those games only shown in the home markets. I assumed that there's no way the game would be on TV on the ship, so I headed off to the Flowrider for the afternoon wearing a Ravens shirt. On my way to muster I kept getting stopped by people to talk about the game, as the game was shown on the ship:eek:.

College is even more unpredictable. Saturday night ABC/ESPN games are good bet, but not guaranteed. I have seen CBS SEC games in the afternoon, but you are more likely to get something from ESPN. Also, don't assume you'll get the "primary" game out of all the ESPN channels at a given time, as I have seen games being carried on something like ESPNNEWS shown on the ship. So don't be surprised to see Temple-East Carolina on ESPNNews instead of that SEC showdown.

It should be noted that baseball is low on the pecking order on RCL, so even though there's a good chance they will carry the World Series games, don't expect them to showcase them. While baseball fans may assume that the whole world stops to watch their team in the WS, this isn't the 70's anymore and that definitely isn't the case on a cruise ship. We were on Oasis for the Royals-Mets WS a couple years ago, and they didn't even carry the games in On-Air, which is the primary place to watch big sporting events. The WS was confined to the TVs in the pub. And to add insult to injury, game 1 went 14 innings, which extended past the time the pub singer was scheduled to perform, at which time they turned off the sound on the TV and the singer started performing. The first half of his set was pretty comical as Jimmy Blakemore would be singing and half the pub was there to watch him and half of would be cheering for the game.

The good news now is that with streaming you can make sure you don't miss a game if it is that important.

Edited by mil76
typo

Thanks, don't really care where I gotta go to watch. Will settle for my cabin and room service! We will be sailing for games 6 & 7 (if necessary). I will just keep my fingers crossed.

And my guess is not even most baseball fans stopped for the Royal-Mets WS!!!!!

As a huge football fan, I've never had much trouble watching games on ships.

As you can see in my avatar, I'm a Bengals fan... so frankly... it's not often my team is ever featured as the NATIONAL game. That said, I tape them at home with my NFL package as a backup. I can also watch on my phone's DirecTV app and since we're sometimes in port for 1pm games, I've done that as well.

As mentioned by others, I will confirm that On-Air and the Aquatheater are the places to watch on Oasis. As well as your room for some games. Monday and Thursday games I've watched from my room. Especially, when I was stuck in On-Air one night with a dozen +/- massive cry baby Steelers fans. Seriously guys, we beat you like once in a blue moon. Suck it up, buttercup.

On other ships, I've watched in the pub (whatever it may be named on that ship), the pool screen, and the sports bar Playmakers (only on a couple of ships) and I haven't found much difficulty.

As a huge football fan, I've never had much trouble watching games on ships.

As you can see in my avatar, I'm a Bengals fan... so frankly... it's not often my team is ever featured as the NATIONAL game. That said, I tape them at home with my NFL package as a backup. I can also watch on my phone's DirecTV app and since we're sometimes in port for 1pm games, I've done that as well.

As mentioned by others, I will confirm that On-Air and the Aquatheater are the places to watch on Oasis. As well as your room for some games. Monday and Thursday games I've watched from my room. Especially, when I was stuck in On-Air one night with a dozen +/- massive cry baby Steelers fans. Seriously guys, we beat you like once in a blue moon. Suck it up, buttercup.

On other ships, I've watched in the pub (whatever it may be named on that ship), the pool screen, and the sports bar Playmakers (only on a couple of ships) and I haven't found much difficulty.

Hey I resemble that remark , I didn't cry ( maybe a little bit )

Just keep that nasty linebacker from knocking out the wide receivers .

Who can throw 5 touchdowns and still lose to the jags ... Go big Ben

I was on NCL last year during the world series - no coverage, or for college football. I think there was a big Penn State-Ohio State game and as this cruise left from NYC, people were not happy.

Hopefully Oasis shows something...

Don’t cruise during football season if it’s that important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don’t cruise during football season if it’s that important to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, as long as they have "Sports Bars" on the ships, then expecting football games to be shown during football season is not particularly unreasonable.